Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cannot login with port 21
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cannot login with port 21

bdspicebdspice Member
edited October 2018 in Help

Hello,
i have a vps on centos 7. which i setup using tutorial from DO
using same tutorial i setup 2 more vps on same and different server. now i cant login to this server using port 21. but i can login with port 22 easily. i check my firewalld then enable port 21 also. reboot server also. nothing working. can anyone help me why this could happen?
same configure used on other vps where i can login with both port

Comments

• edited October 2018

Iptables, redirect port 21 to port 22.. now you can use both port for ssh..

• @chocolateshirt said:
    Iptables, redirect port 21 to port 22.. now you can use both port for ssh..

sorry, i dont understand what you say. i need to login on port 21 because of a php script. and i have install firewalld using this tutorial

• Port 21 is used by FTP. Not to state the obvious but did you check that FTP server is installed and running?

• @birchbeer said:
    Port 21 is used by FTP. Not to state the obvious but did you check that FTP server is installed and running?

without installing it, i setup a vps and its working properly. i follow these tutorial one by one. 1 2 3 4 5

But this one is not working and i didn't find any such things on those tutorial. do you think i need to install ftp first using this tutorial for my centos 7 ?

• HostEONSHostEONS Member, Patron Provider

Most likely FTPD is not installed or just use SFTP on port 22, usually it's enabled by default unless the provider has disabled it in their template

• emgemg Veteran

@birchbeer is correct. Port 21 is used for FTP, not SSH.

IMPORTANT:
    FTP is not secure. Anyone can see your usernames, passwords, and file transfers.

I don't know anything about the Digital Ocean ProFTP tutorial, but I assume it helps you install an ftp service. It is probably what you need, but you still have FTP security issues.

There is more to running a VPS than what is in those tutorials. Learn how to configure it to be secure, and how to keep it secure. Make sure you keep your VPS updated with the latest security patches. Think about how you will run regular backups, too.

Thanked by 2Falzo bdspice
  • emg said: There is more to running a VPS than what is in those tutorials. Learn how to configure it to be secure, and how to keep it secure. Make sure you keep your VPS updated with the latest security patches. Think about how you will run regular backups, too.

so much this.

@bdspice you really should not be running any vps at all - unless you only use it to learn how to handle it.

Thanked by 1chocolateshirt
  • @HostEONS said:
    Most likely FTPD is not installed or just use SFTP on port 22, usually it's enabled by default unless the provider has disabled it in their template

i need to use port 21. i am the vps provider because i own the dedicated server. how to enable it in template?

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

So does your PHP script require FTP or SFTP (SSH)?

• @MikeA said:
    So does your PHP script require FTP or SFTP (SSH)?

ftp which use port 21.

• Thanks everyone, problem solved. there was problem with repository. i fixed the problem then update proftpd. now working well