Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Beta testers for hosted Borg backup services wanted. 100GB free space - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Beta testers for hosted Borg backup services wanted. 100GB free space

Comments

• m4num4nu Member, Patron Provider

@vovi said:
    As feedback, more fluid allocation of the space to the repos would be good. I have the 100GB, but I have to specify a fixed size to each repo. Having a 'shared pot' type option would be easier, although borg may not work like that - I dunno!

Fluid repo allocation is now implemented and live. Still testing it. Changes:

• you can now choose whether you want a quota for each repo.
    • if there is a per-repo quota, that quota will apply.
    • if there is no quota on the repo, your global storage will apply (or later for paid plans no quota at all)
    • the usage is summarized at the top of the table.
  • edited December 2018

m4nu said: This depends on your SSH settings in ~/.ssh/config. If the key is not in a default location, like id_rsa

Oh i see, which is the username in the config?
    Is it our email?

Could you put this in your documentation? It can be confusing for new users. Thank you.

• It's possible to init the repo with a repokey that has a blank passphrase and borgbase will show it as an encrypted repo in the webui.

I supposed technically that's not inaccurate but it's essentially worthless encryption.

• I know this might be a bit of a long shot, but any chance up upgrading to an extra 100GB already?
    I want to test backing up my timemachine backups. they are currently ~190GB.

@bohdans said:
    I know this might be a bit of a long shot, but any chance up upgrading to an extra 100GB already?
    I want to test backing up my timemachine backups. they are currently ~190GB.

No problem. Just shoot me your registered email as PM and I'll change it.

• Just registered but sadly I didn't notice this until I brought an rsync.net acct earlier and yes already hit some of the issues you already mentioned i.e. borg version. Why rsync.net uses 2015 version of borg by default, they should be shot :)

They should. We'll sort it out for Vorta in the issue you filed. Thomas, the main borg maintainer has been very helpful in improving Borgbase and Vorta alike. I generally implement what he recommends.

• Why is repokey encryption considered secure? We can brute force it, right?

@greattomeetyou said:
    Why is repokey encryption considered secure? We can brute force it, right?

That's a fair questions and it has been asked before. The short answer is:

• if you don't need barebones-recovery (=restore everything with JUST the backup), then use keyfile-mode instead. There is a handy tool to backup your keyfile.
    • if you want to use repokey-mode, use a strong password. This password is usually never typed, so it can be as long as you want.
    • for new repos, always use blake2 mode. It's faster and uses a longer key.
    • currently it's not possible to change the key mode without redoing the repo.

For any other security-questions, just ask them here. I'll try to answer them as good as I can or pass them to the maintainers who know more about the details than me.

For more:

Happy new year everyone! Just launched my new website with final pricing and many other improvements. The beta-program is now closed and all existing beta-users got a free subscription until June 30.

Again, please let me know if you notice any bugs or have ideas for new features. I started collecting possible features here. The feedback I got over the last months and that isn't implemented yet is already there.

• Have a public pricing page, without having to sign up.

I have that. It's the fourth section.

After scrolling down a bit, you should see this:

• On mobile, you have to scroll a lot. Clicking the ... menu doesn't show pricing as an option, might want to add that.

True. I should add some "fake" menu items to scoll down quickly.

• nqservicesnqservices Member
    edited January 2019

Hey @m4nu

Is your company and service EU GDPR compliant? Thanks

• Registered. This looks like a nice alternative to things like tarsnap (or other borg services).

• @m4nu said:
    After scrolling down a bit, you should see this:

You should add in the small that the additional is monthly. It's implied for Large.

edited January 2019

@nqservices said:
    Is your company and service EU GDPR compliant? Thanks

Being European myself (but currently living in Asia), I'm happy with the principles the GDPR sets out and the principles it sets out should be good development practice anyways.

I've been offering GDPR-compliant backup service for my EU-based enterprise customers since it was introduced. This was also validated by their legal teams or external advisors on several occasions.

For BorgBase I tried to apply the same principles in an automated way. Of course a global cloud service comes with different challenges. In detail:

• all account data is stored in the EU (Germany). This is true for US and EU customers.
    • if you choose the EU as your repo location, the data will always stay there. It may travel to another datacenter within the EU, but not outside.
    • use as little data as possible: I will only ask for name and email on signup. For paid services you can enter a company name and address for billing and tax purposes. There is no Google Analytics or other tracking. I avoid using CDNs where possible. The only data collection that may happen while you use the service is anonymized crash reports sent to Sentry.
    • no cookies, except to see if you logged in
    • the privacy policy lists the data that is collected and what is done with them.
    • I encourage users to encrypt their backups. There is even a feature request to avoid uploading unencrypted data by accident.
    • Access and deletion: For now this is manual. If you want to view the data stored about you or want to delete it, contact me directly, as is described in the privacy policy. If it happens too often, I'll probably automate it.
    • Technical measures for data protection: strong argon2 password hash, optional 2FA
    • Procedure for data breaches: summarized in privacy policy

If anything is missing to be fully compliant, I'll be happy to make the change, if possible. Also, if you want a full data processing contract for your EU-based business, I can provide that as well.

edited January 2019

TimboJones said: You should add in the small that the additional is monthly. It's implied for Large.

Extra data is only charged at renewal. If the amount gets higher, I may invoice it after $20 or so. This is mentioned as note during checkout.

drawing

• @m4nu said:
    If anything is missing to be fully compliant, I'll be happy to make the change, if possible. Also, if you want a full data processing contract for your EU-based business, I can provide that as well.

It would be great if you can create a specific GDPR page or section on your Terms of Service/Privacy Policy so that the information about how your company meets GDPR is public on your website.

Keep up the good work. Seems a great service and Im interested in buying in a very near future.

Thanked by 1Daniel15

nqservices said: It would be great if you can create a specific GDPR page or section on your Terms of Service/Privacy Policy so that the information about how your company meets GDPR is public on your website.

Good idea. Added. https://www.borgbase.com/gdpr

• FalzoFalzo Member
    edited January 2019

can you elaborate on the hardware underneath? what filesystem/storage-setup are you using? ceph, zfs, raid xyz? is there some kind of redundancy? thanks in advance!

PS: nice product, good luck with your venture!

Falzo said: can you elaborate on the hardware underneath? what filesystem/storage-setup are you using? ceph, zfs, raid xyz? is there some kind of redundancy? thanks in advance!

During the beta it was on Google Cloud. Over the next weeks, I'll slowly move to dedicated hardware with RAID 5 or 6. I looked into ZFS, but Borg already has some functionality that ZFS provides. There is a discussion on this higher up in this thread. In a nutshell, Borg already validates each segment and can alert of bit rot. E.g. my Borg desktop client can automatically validate backups after a set period.

Since you offer storage VPS' yourself, you have any thoughts on what's the best solution for this use case? Eventually I'll need a way to move individual repositories around to optimize server usage. But that's a problem for another day.

• FalzoFalzo Member
    edited January 2019

m4nu said: Since you offer storage VPS' yourself, you have any thoughts on what's the best solution for this use case?

the links in my sig are just recomendations/referrals and not my own offers ;-)

but, I do use such storage VMs and also borg on top of it. hence my questions were from a customers view with storage related problems in mind, like dying RAIDs, CEPH messups, fsck from hell etc.

as long as you use(d) google cloud, you're probably quite covered - but you want to be sustainable and might have to compete with hetzners offer or pure storage-vms with own borg setups on top.
    so I totally understand that you need to move to something else and that made me curious ;-)

yet, disks are dying sooner or later, and the bigger your whole storage set up grows the sooner you might hit a bad one. the whole bit rot thing won't protect you from data loss then if there is no redundancy...

while of course your product is 'only' a backup solution, I think you need a solid plan on how to handle that kind of problems described above if they arise. or you should clearly communicate upfront if you can't or won't be responsible :-)
    losing 'just' backups might not be the biggest problem for most customers, still it will bring you in an uncomfortable position.

as said, I am just curious, as I didn't see any information about actual data safety at all... and I can't recommend much though :/
    afaik some bigger providers run larger ZFS arrays quite reliable, so that's probably what I would look into if doing something comparable.

Thanked by 1bjo

The plan is NOT to lose any data of course. :-) Be it backups or anything else. So RAID will be the absolute minimum. I've seen enough disks die to know that.

For now – as with every new business – my main concern is to sign up some initial customers. Then improve the operations side, as it grows. That's the plan for 2019.

• @m4nu said:
    Good idea. Added. https://www.borgbase.com/gdpr

Great! Thanks

• @m4nu said:

TimboJones said: You should add in the small that the additional is monthly. It's implied for Large.

Extra data is only charged at renewal. If the amount gets higher, I may invoice it after $20 or so. This is mentioned as note during checkout.

drawing

So user doesn't need to do anything if they go over, just need payment on file? So if it goes above the limit for 3 weeks, goes below limit, then back up over a few months later for a day, how does that get billed?

I think you could be carrying balances under $20 for a while, and some might not renew and stiff you?

Correct. They don't need to do anything. I don't worry much about getting "stiffed" for now. Maybe later you need to pay with Stripe, so I have a card on file, before you can go more than X% over the limit. B2 has a similar system and it seems to work for them. In the end you want to keep your data there and don't run off after a month or so.