Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VawIt - A new encrypted storage solution.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VawIt - A new encrypted storage solution.

404error404error Member
edited October 2018 in General

Just saw this company being promoted on a news portal.
They claim their service is theresult of 10 years of research. Research that is recognized inteernationally.

In short, they'll divide your files between different clouds and you always need at least 2 clouds to recover a file.

Seems interesting.
https://vawlt.io/technology

...but not sure I'll ever be enticed to buy into this considering that I can get 1TB for 99€/year and it comes with Office....

But I guess some of you might be interested to save your million bucks/hour bizz :P

Comments

• HostlovinHostlovin Member, Host Rep

My summer hosting business now profits at over $7/day, how do i make millions/hour?

( I've lasted 2 summers now )

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

What a stupid name.

• adxnadxn Member, Host Rep

How do you pronounce that name?

• Please, don't trust us! This is an odd claim for a startup to make, but we mean it.

Our system is designed in a way that reduces your need to trust us. We never see or touch your files. Ever!

According to their linkedin page.

• dat price :s

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

well, it runs on Amazon cloud, you pay prem pricing for it, no wonder.

• I like company name - CLOUDSURPRISE LDA

You will really get that after couple of months. )

Thanked by 2BlaZe netomx
  • What do you think on this amazing website ?

• @creep said:

Please, don't trust us! This is an odd claim for a startup to make, but we mean it.

Our system is designed in a way that reduces your need to trust us. We never see or touch your files. Ever!.

According to their linkedin page.

Well that goes along with the whole premise of the service, that only you can rebuild the files, and access them.
    I guess they thought it was a funny marketing smartness, but not everyone will thikn its funny. I give them A for effort on that one.

• hzrhzr Member

404error said: They claim their service is theresult of 10 years of research. Research that is recognized inteernationally.

This is the largest pile of bullshit I've read today

404error said: In short, they'll divide your files between different clouds and you always need at least 2 clouds to recover a file.

https://www.tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs has been doing this for years?

• @hzr said:

https://www.tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs has been doing this for years?

Damn... it does sound like the same thing to me.
    https://tahoe-lafs.readthedocs.io/en/latest/about.html#what-is-tahoe-lafs

• hzrhzr Member

404error said: Damn... it does sound like the same thing to me.

Vawlt is arguably more insecure, and is a paid monthly service, by a commercial for profit, less battle tested over long term, (currently, and probably for future) unauditable and you don't know what code is running. You have to trust them with all of your secrets.

• hzrhzr Member

I don't like security snakeoil bullshit.

Also the cloud providers they use are probably subject to this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CLOUD_Act

• @hzr said:

404error said: Damn... it does sound like the same thing to me.

Vawlt is arguably more insecure, and is a paid monthly service, by a commercial for profit, less battle tested over long term, (currently, and probably for future) unauditable and you don't know what code is running. You have to trust them with all of your secrets.

As I understanding it, and their own claim. They won't be able to access any of your secrets.
    But It really rubs me the wrong way to see someone building a commercial project claiming they are putting out an innovation that is the result of 10 years of research to find out that someone else is doing it for free for a long time already.

If I had it my way, this new company would be razed to the ground. I was actually looking for the contact information of Tahoe-Lafs to give them a heads up, but can't find it.

• hzrhzr Member
    edited October 2018

404error said: As I understanding it, and their own claim. They won't be able to access any of your secrets.

Do you really think they will actually open source the client and server and have reproducible builds if their money depends on running it as a closed subscription? I am not a F/OSS fanboy or anything - but for trusting secrets, a random subscription binary from an unknown company that's already acting shady is not going anywhere near my system.

• @hzr said:
    I don't like security snakeoil bullshit.

Also the cloud providers they use are probably subject to this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CLOUD_Act

Accoding to their site;
    "Blocks are sent to different clouds (AWS,
    Azure, Google Cloud) and redundantly stored."

So, yes.
    I wonder if these corps can circunvent it by claiming thats their, say european branch, being an entity on its own, that operates the data of EU citizens.
    I'm wondering cause the EU wanted Google and Facebook to store their data related to EU citizens in EU exactly so the data privacy was assured.

• @hzr said:

404error said: As I understanding it, and their own claim. They won't be able to access any of your secrets.

Do you really think they will actually open source the client and server and have reproducible builds if their money depends on running it as a closed subscription? I am not a F/OSS fanboy or anything - but for trusting secrets, a random subscription binary from an unknown company that's already acting shady is not going anywhere near my system.

Yeah, I agree. I wasn't aware of them being shady until you pointed out Tahoe-LAFS. I was actually in a "hey, that's really freaking awesome" mood.

The project is from a professor and two students of an university, and it's supposed to have started from this two students course thesis., the professor like the thesis so much that joined them and I guess 10 years later with lots of research, this came out. Now that I think of this... it smells funny.

• hzrhzr Member

404error said: The project is from a professor and two students of an university, and it's supposed to have started from this two students course thesis., the professor like the thesis so much that joined them and I guess 10 years later with lots of research, this came out. Now that I think of this... it smells funny.

We have research projects turned into commercial ventures at my uni all the time, and it's quite popular to.. you know.. actually show credentials and the people behind it, show the papers backing the work that have been peer reviewed and published, etc.

• @hzr said:

404error said: The project is from a professor and two students of an university, and it's supposed to have started from this two students course thesis., the professor like the thesis so much that joined them and I guess 10 years later with lots of research, this came out. Now that I think of this... it smells funny.

We have research projects turned into commercial ventures at my uni all the time, and it's quite popular to.. you know.. actually show credentials and the people behind it, show the papers backing the work that have been peer reviewed and published, etc.

I know, same happens here. All the time, what smells funny is that it took them 10 years to research it, while something equal if not the same is already around (but I realize you already said something to that effect)

Also its a spin off, the university has no ties to the project, and usually (afaik) the unis keep some cred and take a piece of the pie when an university team project becomes a venture, cause ya know, the uni had to support it with $$$ so they figure they deserve a piece of the action.

• Vawlt is partially supported by the EC through
    the H2020 programme under grant agreements
    700692 (DiSIEM) and 643964 (SUPERCLOUD).

Any proof of this?

• @saibal said:
    Vawlt is partially supported by the EC through
    the H2020 programme under grant agreements
    700692 (DiSIEM) and 643964 (SUPERCLOUD).

Any proof of this?

Found it.

Title: USER-CENTRIC MANAGEMENT OF SECURITY AND DEPENDABILITY IN CLOUDS OF CLOUDS

Start Date: 2015-02-01
    End Date: 2018-01-31
    Objective: "Today, despite its unravelling business benefits, distributed cloud computing raises many security and dependability concerns. Root causes include increase in complexity and lack of interoperability between heterogeneous, often proprietary infrastructure technologies. SUPERCLOUD thus proposes new security and dependability infrastructure management paradigms that are : 1) user-centric, for self-service clouds-of-clouds where customers define their own protection requirements and avoid lock-ins; and 2) self-managed, for self-protecting clouds-of-clouds that reduce administration complexity through automation. SUPERCLOUD will reach the following objectives:
    -Self-Service Security: Implementation of a cloud architecture that gives users the flexibility to define their own protection requirements and instantiate policies accordingly.
    -Self-Managed Security: Development of an autonomic security management framework that operates seamlessly over compute, storage and network layers, and across provider domains to ensure compliance with security policies.
    -End-to-End Security: Proposition of trust models and security mechanisms that enable composition of services and trust statements across different administrative provider domains.
    -Resilience: Implementation of a resource management framework that composes provider-agnostic resources in a robust manner using primitives from diverse cloud providers. The SUPERCLOUD methodology will be validated by testbed integration for real-world use cases in the healthcare domain, ranging from deploying a distributed medical imaging platform to running a full laboratory information system. The consortium is industry-led with partners actively involved in promotion of open source cloud technologies and contributing to major standardization bodies in cloud security, inter-cloud architectures, security protocols, and SDN. SUPERCLOUD will leverage its expertise in these domains to promote and ensure market validity of the research findings."

Coordinator: TECHNIKON FORSCHUNGS- UND PLANUNGSGESELLSCHAFT MBH
    Participant Countries: PT;FR;CH;NL;DE
    Participants: FCIENCIAS.ID - ASSOCIACAO PARA A INVESTIGACAO E DESENVOLVIMENTO DE CIENCIAS;ORANGE SA;IBM RESEARCH GMBH;INSTITUT MINES-TELECOM;MAXDATA SOFTWARE SA;PHILIPS ELECTRONICS NEDERLAND B.V.;TECHNISCHE UNIVERSITAT DARMSTADT;FUNDACAO DA FACULDADE DE CIENCIAS DA UNIVERSIDADE DE LISBOA FP;PHILIPS MEDICAL SYSTEMS NEDERLAND BV

Thanked by 1saibal
  • Yeah guys, what a silly name.

• Vawlt as in vault

• JanevskiJanevski Member
    edited October 2018

Googol, Yahoo, Wavlt , they're all speaking in tongues.

Anyhow, back on topic, i still prefer buying a hdd instead.

• tsofttsoft Member
    edited October 2018

Reminds me this thread
    https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/22347/they-call-it-digital-ocean-killer-a-cloud-service-from-choopa-constant-https-www-vultr-com/p2

Click Ctrl+F, enter 'name' and look at how many people called their name stupid.
    Who cares now? Apparently, the name does not matter at all.

• @404error said:
    PT

I've never heard about successful startups from Portugal.

under grant agreements

However, this is usually a money laundry.

• @tsoft said:

@404error said:
    PT

I've never heard about successful startups from Portugal.

What?

Farfetch? Talkdesk? Outsystems? Unibabel?

• @claudiof said:

Farfetch - Headquarters London, England
    Talkdesk - Headquarters: San Francisco
    Outsystems - Headquarters Atlanta, GA

• @tsoft said:

@claudiof said:

Farfetch - Headquarters London, England
    Talkdesk - Headquarters: San Francisco
    Outsystems - Headquarters Atlanta, GA

you said FROM Portugal, aside from Farfetch (but the development is in OPorto) the others born in Portugal... but yeah.

• @claudiof said:
    you said FROM Portugal, aside from Farfetch (but the development is in OPorto) the others born in Portugal... but yeah.

Hah, then google, paypal, whatsapp, oracle, nginx are startups from Russia, Ukraine, Kazakhstan.

Yep, I meant based in Portugal, not born in Portugal.