Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Virtono Linux VPS Review - MEDIUM VPS (Miami OpenVZ)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Virtono Linux VPS Review - MEDIUM VPS (Miami OpenVZ)

try4lontalktry4lontalk Member
edited September 2018 in Reviews

Hello everyone,

I have recently got a free OpenVZ VPS in Miami location for one year from Virtono. Thanks @catalingmn for his great offer. More information about this: https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/151835/virtono-miami-us-vps-giveaway-for-review

Now I would like to present benchmark results and write an initial review for it. Here we go:

VPS Specifications

vCPU Cores : 2
RAM : 2 GB
RAM burst : 4 GB
Disk Space : 60 GB SSD
Bandwidth : 3TB
IPv4 Addresses : 1 IPv4 IP Address
IPv6 Addresses : 1 IPv6 IP Address
Virtualization : OpenVZ
Connection : 1Gbps
Control Panel : Virtualizor

Full benchmark log (by the FreeVPS benchmark script Version 2):

System Info

Processor : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X5650 @ 2.67GHz
CPU Cores : 2
Frequency : 2666.769 MHz
Memory : 2048 MB
Swap : 4096 MB
Uptime : 14 min
Arch : x86_64 (64 Bit)
Kernel : 2.6.32-042stab120.20
Hostname : (hidden)

Speedtest (IPv4)

Your public IPv4 is (hidden)

Location Provider Speed
CDN Cachefly 103MB/s

Atlanta, GA, US Coloat 96.8MB/s
Dallas, TX, US Softlayer 61.0MB/s
Seattle, WA, US Softlayer 27.9MB/s
San Jose, CA, US Softlayer 23.3MB/s
Washington, DC, US Softlayer 1.95MB/s

Tokyo, Japan Linode 9.73MB/s
Singapore Softlayer 8.49MB/s
Taiwan Hinet 11.1MB/s

Rotterdam, Netherlands id3.net 18.4MB/s
Haarlem, Netherlands Leaseweb 59.6MB/s

Remark: this VPS is located in Miami, FL, US.

Speedtest (IPv6)

Your public IPv6 is (hidden)

Location Provider Speed
Atlanta, GA, US Linode 81.3MB/s
Dallas, TX, US Linode 51.5MB/s
Newark, NJ, US Linode 51.5MB/s
Fremont, CA, US Linode 21.6MB/s

Tokyo, Japan Linode 10.7MB/s
Singapore Linode 8.28MB/s

Frankfurt, Germany Linode 17.3MB/s
London, UK Linode 18.0MB/s
Haarlem, Netherlands Leaseweb 18.5MB/s

Disk Speed

I/O (1st run) : 812 MB/s
I/O (2nd run) : 673 MB/s
I/O (3rd run) : 687 MB/s
Average I/O : 724 MB/s

My Opinion

This Medium VPS comes with 2 GB RAM and should be pretty enough for normal use cases. The VPS is also well configured with 4 GB swap space that can help prevent crashes if running out of RAM. Noted that their spec uses the term "RAM burst" which is also known as swap we commonly refer to.

They provide Virtualizor as the Control Panel. I tried enabling tun/tap, NFS and fuse supports through the Virtualizor, and they worked smoothly.

Benchmark was done before I host any website there. And I had only run a few apt installs before I did this benchmark. So, the benchmark results should reflect the initial status of the VPS.

Disk speed test result is over 700 MB/s in average, which is nice. The disk is a ploop device, as expected.

The VPS does have one IPv6 address. This is quite useful for me as I can do some development projects that require IPv6 connectivity.

The latency is acceptable to me. Network speeds are over 20MB/s for most U.S. locations.

So far the host is stable, as the uptime of the VPS is still 100% as reported by hetrixtools.

About the price, they now offer a coupon code LET30VRT, which you may use it at checkout and get 30% lifetime discount. I suppose this coupon should be valid for all servers from Virtono, not just for this Medium VPS. In fact, I also used this coupon code during my checkout and it was working as intended.

Overall, I would now rate this VPS 9/10.

(As I have been using it just for a few days, I may amend this rating later.)

Comments

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited September 2018

One thing I would like to know, is if you start a high PPS UDP/TCP stream or start actually using the connection frequently do you end up suspended? My experience in the past with them was constantly being suspended every time I tried to move any substantial amount of data in or out of the server. Then when I would ticket they would tell me I was being abusive, when I wasn't. Next they would unsuspend the account only to have it re-suspended about an hour later by the same crappy script, when I started moving files again between servers. At that point I canceled services as it was basically useless to me as I was constantly ticketing to get unsuspended. I am curious to know if this still happens when using their services? Can you provide some feedback on some real world use cases, such as this? That information would be more valuable than just seeing benchmarks.

To be fair, it has now been about a year since I last used their services. Maybe they have fixed this and improved things?

Cheers!

• @try4lontalk said:
    This Medium VPS comes with 2 GB RAM and should be pretty enough for normal use cases.

"2GB ought to be good enough for ~anyone~ normal use cases."

The VPS is also well configured with 4 GB swap space that can help prevent crashes if running out of RAM. Noted that their spec uses the term "RAM burst" which is also known as swap we commonly refer to.

Or, ya know, vSwap in OpenVZ circles.

Benchmark was done before I host any website there. And I had only run a few apt installs before I did this benchmark. So, the benchmark results should reflect the initial status of the VPS.

"I spent 4 minutes on this for a year of free services; YMMV."

Disk speed test result is over 700 MB/s in average, which is nice. The disk is a ploop device, as expected.

Possibly OpenVZ6.

The VPS does have one IPv6 address. This is quite useful for me as I can do some development projects that require IPv6 connectivity.

This is actually nice, but having one IPv6 address is like having one pea for dinner.

Overall, I would now rate this VPS 9/10.

8 out of 10 cats agree!

• @TheLinuxBug said:
    One thing I would like to know, is if you start a high PPS UDP/TCP stream or start actually using the connection frequently do you end up suspended? My experience in the past with them was constantly being suspended every time I tried to move any substantial amount of data in or out of the server. Then when I would ticket they would tell me I was being abusive, when I wasn't. Next they would unsuspend the account only to have it re-suspended about an hour later by the same crappy script, when I started moving files again between servers. At that point I canceled services as it was basically useless to me as I was constantly ticketing to get unsuspended. I am curious to know if this still happens when using their services? Can you provide some feedback on some real world use cases, such as this? That information would be more valuable than just seeing benchmarks.

To be fair, it has now been about a year since I last used their services. Maybe they have fixed this and improved things?

Cheers!

I did mention about the 100% uptime, so it should indicate that there has been no suspension so far.

I do have some good amount of data in or out of the my VPS. It could be that they have fixed and improved things like you said. But I am not quite sure about that, because I have no idea how they suspend accounts in the past. I don't do high PPS streaming on any shared environment though.

In any case, I will update this thread if I get any unexpected suspension in the future.

• @CyberMonday said:

@try4lontalk said:

"I spent 4 minutes on this for a year of free services; YMMV."

Thanks for your comments.

I honestly have spent far more than 4 minutes for this review. Not to mention it was just an initial review and I may update the thread later. My guess you were referring to the time just for signing up the service? In fact, it took me more than 4 minutes just for thinking about how to response to this particular comment in a meaningful way. :)

Seriously, if you were wondering why I did the benchmark before I host any website, I can tell you that I did in on purpose.

Because I want to know the initial performance of the VPS and, if it may drop later, I will be able to quantify the difference.

That is why I usually do benchmarks like this particularly for OpenVZ servers.

@CyberMonday said:

@try4lontalk said:

This is actually nice, but having one IPv6 address is like having one pea for dinner.

I would agree on that. It seems they understand it too and offer up to 4 IPv6 addresses. Source: https://www.virtono.com/linux-vps

Today I make a request for an extra IPv6 address through their support ticket.

The request is quickly accepted (with no extra charge) and now I have 2 IPv6 addresses in total.