Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Isohunt shutting down, ArchiveTeam needs you!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Isohunt shutting down, ArchiveTeam needs you!

c0yc0y Member
edited October 2013 in General

http://torrentfreak.com/archiveteam-works-hard-to-avert-isohunt-data-massacre-131020/

Hello,

@joepie91 and I have taken part of this operation since the beginning. Joepie has written the pipeline and I have been heavily donating resources. However, the real bottleneck are IP ADDRESSES. Isohunt throttles by IP addresses, so far I have contributed 512 IPs but we still need more to archive all of it!

You can view the status at http://tracker.archiveteam.org/isoprey/ and run your own downloader using our own script available here: https://github.com/joepie91/isohunt-grab/

This will merely use around a GB per day, and Isohunt is shutting down in 4 days! IPs are important, IPv6 isn't supported. Grab all those (idle) LEBs together and do something useful with them! :D

If you have any questions or want to have a talk with the team of this operation, feel free to join #isoprey on EFNet (IRC)

Comments

• TorTor Member

If I run their warrior will there be any chance of police going to my door saying I violated the laws by simply transferring some data and need to pay a part of their million dollar settlement? xD

• Have you tried simply asking them asking for a copy of the 13M rows of metadata? I've found that method is a lot easier than scraping.

• I would rather wish to see you put forces together to help ReactOS, BSD or other Open Source communities instead of a torrent tracker saving copyrighted files from destruction.

• It's simply astounding the lengths people go to, to preserve illegal software.

• udkudk Member

I'd help if there was actually anything unique on there, but isohunt went to the shitter a long time ago in terms of useful content.

• c0yc0y Member

@ricardo said:
    Have you tried simply asking them asking for a copy of the 13M rows of metadata? I've found that method is a lot easier than scraping.

legally not possible

@Tsume said:
    It's simply astounding the lengths people go to, to preserve illegal software.

Altho there's a lot of copyrighted stuff (read: mainly) there's also stuff you'll never find somewhere else and which would be incredibly said to be lost in the torrent space!

@Tor said:
    If I run their warrior will there be any chance of police going to my door saying I violated the laws by simply transferring some data and need to pay a part of their million dollar settlement? xD

Nah, the settlement is to scare other sites off, theyre not even paying it, just declaring bankruptcy. It would be a waste of time and money and would also be a scandal to send a police officer to you ;-)

@kontam said:
    I would rather wish to see you put forces together to help ReactOS, BSD or other Open Source communities instead of a torrent tracker saving copyrighted files from destruction.

React and BSD are both near dead, and this is called ARCHIVETEAM for a reason, @joepie and me both support open source projects, but that doesn't mean we can't write any code besides that...

• c0yc0y Member

@udk said:
    I'd help if there was actually anything unique on there, but isohunt went to the shitter a long time ago in terms of useful content.

Well aware, that's why we're indexing every single torrent, from day 1

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

Just donated some resources for the project. Let's do this.

• So i can not get into any legal troubles doing this?

• ricardoricardo Member
    edited October 2013

@joodle said:
    So i can not get into any legal troubles doing this?

It appears the OP believes it's not legally possible for the ISOHunt owner to do this... perhaps if you were a diplomat you would not be breaking the law ;o)

... this project will require 50 requests a second for 3 days straight. consider archive.org might have some of the older pages and just take what's new.

• AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep
  • matthewvzmatthewvz Member, Host Rep

Got one of my idle 64MB VPS, running pretty well.

• Running it on my Idle 2GB CVPS

• c0yc0y Member
    edited October 2013

Isohunt is no longer responding appropiately, because: (either of those)
    a) we overloaded their infrastructure
    b) they don't want us to save their torrents (as in not want to get a legal kick in the ass)
    c) seeing this is the owner's life's creation we have no idea what insanity he has in mind (a huge magnet list dump won't surprise me)

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Screen is terminationg, something gone wrong hmmmm

• SaikuSaiku Member, Host Rep

Yeah for some reason it keeps on throttling my IP even tho I'm using 10 concurrent connection.. (Trying 8 for now and it still does the same thing :v)

• The same joepie who was asking for donations because working was against his morals is now conscripting people to preserve millions of pieces of pirated content.

Go figure.

Thanked by 2connercg texteditor
  • BrianHarrisonBrianHarrison Member, Patron Provider

@ricardo said:
    Have you tried simply asking them asking for a copy of the 13M rows of metadata? I've found that method is a lot easier than scraping.

That would most certainly get the IsoHunt team into more legal trouble. If they're being forced to shut down, then they certainly can't be involved with an effort to keep the content online.

• TsumeTsume Member
    edited October 2013

It could get really interesting or funny even, if the MPAA finds out someone is archiving the entirety of IsoHunt.

With that being said. I find this little tool quite interesting. I could find a pretty interesting use for it. Any chance of me getting the backend source?

• isoHunt just went into 503. I've been getting "Project code is out of date, retrying in 30 seconds" errors.

• Update: Now I'm justing getting 404s for every single torrent I try and archive.

• GunterGunter Member
    edited October 2013

This is now harder to finish as the to do has tripled 4 times over.

Its worth trying though considering what is at stake.

• SaikuSaiku Member, Host Rep

1m to-do...

• c0yc0y Member

@darknyan said:
    Update: Now I'm justing getting 404s for every single torrent I try and archive.

That's normal

• He shut down the site? http://isohunt.com/

• GunterGunter Member
    edited October 2013

Confirmed,Gary posted about it about 50 minutes ago on his Facebook.

• Can't really say this wasn't expected. Though he does have a very valid point. Why Archive what could be found on google.

• @Tsume said:
    Can't really say this wasn't expected. Though he does have a very valid point. Why Archive what could be found on google.

Because it's annoying to need to rely on Google for the torrents of the past.

• @darknyan - Why would it be annoying? From where I'm sitting, google is the best place to get torrents of the past. They have a much better track record of staying up and not going poof, don't you think?

• GunterGunter Member
    edited October 2013

@Tsume said:
    darknyan - Why would it be annoying? From where I'm sitting, google is the best place to get torrents of the past. They have a much better track record of staying up and not going poof, don't you think?

To be honest, it's mostly the idea of having one of the world's most complete torrent databases and making it open to the public for archiving rather than the usability of such database.

One of my intents before I die, is to buy an External harddrive, put Geocities and isoHunt on it, and leave it in a time capsule along with a copy of USB 3.0 Specifications in multiple languages (if 3.0 is too obsolete to recover data). My hope is that one day, history shall be made upon my efforts and reflect upon early technology and globalization.

Thanked by 1c0y