Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Openvz... question
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Openvz... question

Hi all, with openvz based vps, what are the type of things one can use it for? I understand the kernel is shared with the host machine, so not all things may work.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Comments

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

There are more things you can use it for than you can't use it for. Basically if you need access to kernel modules then OpenVZ probably won't work for you (although it depends on the module). For the vast majority of normal use cases (i.e. web, VPN, DNS, mail, gaming, communications, etc...) OpenVZ will work fine.

Thanked by 3plumberg mikho dfmcvn
  • @KuJoe said:
    There are more things you can use it for than you can't use it for. Basically if you need access to kernel modules then OpenVZ probably won't work for you (although it depends on the module). For the vast majority of normal use cases (i.e. web, VPN, DNS, mail, gaming, communications, etc...) OpenVZ will work fine.

Awesome. Thanks. Can I mount google drive ?

• @plumberg said:

@KuJoe said:

It depends if your provider is willing to enable fuse for you.

If they refuse, well... you’re SOL.

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • @doghouch said:

@plumberg said:

@KuJoe said:

It depends if your provider is willing to enable fuse for you.

If they refuse, well... you’re SOL.

Thnx. Will check

• You can do everything except some applications which are need modprobe.

• Long story short, your network interface is virtualized, your disk is virtualized (usually ploop), and you're stuck on a 2.6 kernel fork without a real init.

If you want to manage your system, you don't want OpenVZ. If you're happy bitching when you break something by trying to upgrade to a distribution release less than 3 years old, then OpenVZ is for you.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@CyberMonday said:
    Long story short, your network interface is virtualized, your disk is virtualized (usually ploop), and you're stuck on a 2.6 kernel fork without a real init.

If you want to manage your system, you don't want OpenVZ. If you're happy bitching when you break something by trying to upgrade to a distribution release less than 3 years old, then OpenVZ is for you.

Unless you use OpenVZ 7

• @mikho said:

@CyberMonday said:
    Long story short, your network interface is virtualized, your disk is virtualized (usually ploop), and you're stuck on a 2.6 kernel fork without a real init.

Unless you use OpenVZ 7

... Then NOTHING works. ;)

@CyberMonday said:

@mikho said:

@CyberMonday said:

Unless you use OpenVZ 7

Mine works. Still a few things need manual tweaking (ie. Not available in the GUI used to manage the containers)

• @mikho said:

@CyberMonday said:

@mikho said:

@CyberMonday said:

Unless you use OpenVZ 7

Mine works. Still a few things need manual tweaking (ie. Not available in the GUI used to manage the containers)

Don't worry - SolusVM 2 will be available last-last-last July!

@CyberMonday said:

@mikho said:

@CyberMonday said:

@mikho said:

@CyberMonday said:

Unless you use OpenVZ 7

I’m not worried. I don’t use Solus :).

• @mikho said:

@CyberMonday said:

@mikho said:

@CyberMonday said:

@mikho said:

@CyberMonday said:

Unless you use OpenVZ 7

I’m not worried. I don’t use Solus :).

I only have a few OVZ 7 nodes, but I really hope that support for it dies off after 6 with mainstream tools. It's an answer to a problem which no longer exists. Sure, it lets you oversell the hell out of the hardware, but, really, why?

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@CyberMonday said:
    I only have a few OVZ 7 nodes, but I really hope that support for it dies off after 6 with mainstream tools. It's an answer to a problem which no longer exists. Sure, it lets you oversell the hell out of the hardware, but, really, why?

If you're only using OpenVZ because of overselling then:
    1) You're using OpenVZ wrong.
    2) You're using Xen/KVM wrong.

• @KuJoe said:

@CyberMonday said:

If you're only using OpenVZ because of overselling then:
    1) You're using OpenVZ wrong.
    2) You're using Xen/KVM wrong.

I didn't mean that as a personal use stance; people like OpenVZ because it means less maintenance for them; Administrators like it because you have finer control over it than KVMs. I just think it's had its' day.