Stop the Price Increase of .com
New on LowEndTalk? Please read our 'Community Rules' by clicking on it in the right menu!

Stop the Price Increase of .com

Hello there,
I have just received email from Bodis.com. Is that real?

Dear Ha,

Sometime before November 30, 2018, the price of .COM domains may go up when the NTIA's "price-cap" agreement with Verisign, called the "Cooperative Agreement,” expires! You, the owners of .com domain names, stand to lose hundreds of millions of dollars collectively if that price increase goes into effect. But you also have the power to do something about it! Demand that ICANN and the NTIA take action NOW to stop a potential price increase on .COM domains and keep their pricing reasonable!

With just a few clicks, make your voice heard and sign a petition (https://www.change.org/p/david-redl-stop-verisign-from-raising-com-pricing) started by the Internet Commerce Association (http://internetcommerce.org/) directed at David Redl of NTIA and Göran Marby of ICANN.

This is what we need you to do:

1. Visit StopThePriceIncreaseOf.com;
2. Sign the Petition: change.org
3. Share the Petition on Social Media

Verisign has vast funds to help them lobby the Congress for the price increase. We have you, the domain name owner, to help us stop it! Please help us and share the petition and website on your social media, blogs and online publications.

Links:
https://www.change.org/p/david-redl-stop-verisign-from-raising-com-pricing
http://stopthepriceincreaseof.com
http://internetcommerce.org

Sincerely,
The Bodis Team

Note: This notification has also been sent to your Bodis account.

Sincerely,
The Bodis Team

Bodis - Committed to parking. www.bodis.com

Should we support that?

Thanked by 1WinstonZ

Comments

• samblingsambling Member
    edited September 27

https://www.quora.com/If-the-price-for-a-com-domain-name-was-increased-to-1-500-USD-per-year-what-impact-would-it-have-on-the-business-of-domain-parking-squatting

Are they still only allowed to increase prices by 7%?i.e. will their pricing still be regulated? Their prices have been frozen for a while.

https://o0.nz - A free and fast image host. Powered by a Bunny and a Pony!

• jarjar Provider

Oddly enough I support price increases for .com. Reason being I can pay more, and I’d like to see domain brokers, aka squatters, feel the pain for every domain no one is buying at their billion dollar price point.

So much of the .com space is just being hoarded by people who have every right to do it, I just want their business plan to come under attack and I’ll gladly be nickel and dimed to that end.

Thanked by 3jh Corey jammy
  • @jar said:
    Oddly enough I support price increases for .com. Reason being I can pay more, and I’d like to see domain brokers, aka squatters, feel the pain for every domain no one is buying at their billion dollar price point.

So much of the .com space is just being hoarded by people who have every right to do it, I just want their business plan to come under attack and I’ll gladly be nickel and dimed to that end.

Fair point, and while one may need to lose 1 or 2 useless domains they'll lose hundreds.

• @luissousa said:
    Fair point, and while one may need to lose 1 or 2 useless domains they'll lose hundreds.

I don't think so. All most huge brokers are registrar, so they alway have lowest price per domain.
    Just doubt change.org could really affect to that situation.

• @RonalBarbaren said:

@luissousa said:

I don't think so. All most huge brokers are registrar, so they alway have lowest price per domain.
    Just doubt change.org could really affect to that situation.

change.org wants the opposite: to prevent price increases.
    .com is managed by verisigin which, if increases the price, will increase to everyone, even domain brokers with own registrars. We all eventually pay verisigin in the end :p

• DedicadudeDedicadude Member
    edited September 27

Hey, since we are at this topic. I was wondering how much is the cheapest available .com registration at this point of writing? I've seen some of those $0.99/yr promo from famous registrars every now and then.. I'm currently reselling at $9.87/yr anyone can beat/match this?

• .Com seems a robust domain but used to be a great one years ago. Anyway, this will put some impact sooner or later as Google says domain extension does not matter at all.

• @Dedicadude said:
    Hey, since we are at this topic. I was wondering how much is the cheapest available .com registration at this point of writing? I've seen some of those $0.99/yr promo from famous registrars every now and then.. I'm currently reselling at $9.87/yr anyone can beat/match this?

At the moment, according to tld-list.com:

• cheapest registration: Namecheap $1.06
    • cheapest renewal: AlpNames $8.75
  • LeeLee Member

Excellent, means that domain squatter will likely give up that .com with my surname nobody but me wants. His last offer was $5,000 I counter-offered with $reg fee, they have been emailing me regularly for the last 10 years with stupid offers.

Nobody sign this, let it happen.

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint

It's better to keep your mouth closed, and let everyone wonder if you're stupid; than to open it and remove all doubt.

• @Lee said:
    Excellent, means that domain squatter will likely give up that .com with my surname nobody but me wants. His last offer was $5,000 I counter-offered with $reg fee, they have been emailing me regularly for the last 10 years with stupid offers.

$5000 for lee.com wasn't so bad. You should have jumped at the opportunity. :wink:

Thanked by 1Lee

"[...] the Linux philosophy is 'laugh in the face of danger'. Oops. Wrong one. 'Do it yourself'. That's it." (L. Torvalds)

• Why need stuck to .com when a lot of other TLD available?

• estonia 1 letter domain l.ee bin price $20mil

• Dedicadude said: 1 letter domain l.ee bin price $20mil

Everyone can priced everything limitless but that not meant someone wants it. .rich TLD prices $2000 How many these TLD sold?

• Kind of agree with jar, interesting PoV.

If whatever is under *.com isn't worth $10/year, it probably shouldn't be there. We've managed to put a whole lot of shite on the 'net just because it's easy to, over the past 20 years.

Saying that, surveying the .com space you'll see that the number of active sites is a fraction of registered domains. IIRC less than half have an A record that resolves to something, even less than that resolve to a useful resource.

Obviously bodis.com have a motive here to keep the market for "domain parking" as large as possible.

• rm_rm_ Member
    edited September 27

ricardo said: If whatever is under *.com isn't worth $10/year, it probably shouldn't be there.

Where do you draw the line? Why not $100/year? Or $1000? And who decides where to draw it, and who and on what grounds has entitled that person or company with such honor?

Thanked by 1Hukin
  • .RICH Pricing
    $2,974.99/yr
    Renewal:
    $2,974.99/yr
    Transfer:
    $2,974.99/yr

Mega.rich active since 2005...

Totally not worth it...

• @rm_ said:

ricardo said: If whatever is under *.com isn't worth $10/year, it probably shouldn't be there.

Where do you draw the line? Why not $100/year? Or $1000? And who decides where to draw it, and who and on what grounds has entitled that person or company with such honor?

Guess only when the owners of $ can not afford it that it'ld be a problem.

NameSilo.com coupons: CheapDoms or Discounted
    - Send Everything My Way

• rm_ said: Where do you draw the line? Why not $100/year? Or $1000? And who decides where to draw it, and who and on what grounds has entitled that person or company with such honor?

1. I don't
    2. Sure
    3. Sure
    4. ICANN and whoever else is delegated the responsibility
    5. The people!
  • rm_rm_ Member
    edited September 27

ricardo said: The people!

The people set up the organization to handle technical matters of running a domain system, not act as a wealth-based gatekeeper regulating what can and what can't be on the Internet.

Thanked by 1jsg
  • ricardoricardo Member
    edited September 27

You're confused because your rush to hold something in contempt got in the way.

The people and the government of the time decided on whom to delegate the responsibility. But you're right, ICANN is a non-profit company.

My original tongue in cheek point was about the volume and quality of information on the web.

• hostingsolutions.ro must be awarded like a shortest domain, exactly from EE businesses :wink:

• jsgjsg Member

I guess that some day there will be "letsdomain" offering some TLD(s) for free or very low cost. Possibly some country TLDs will follow and provide something like ".c.fr", ".c.de" etc. ('c' for citizen) for free or very low cost.

My view: There are 2 quite different groups in the domain market, (a) corporations and institutions who want visibility, image, etc., and (b) people who just need a domain because its a technical necessity to be present on the www.
    The former don't care much about price, 99% of them would also pay 100$/year (and more). The latter however DO care quite a lot about price.

So it would make sense to create a vehicle and tap into the huge low end market of 1$ to max 3$/yr domains.

And it could be done, practically speaking. All that's missing is a big and powerful entity (and/or governments) who reshuffle the cards and create cheap "www roads for the people" instead of tolerating a couple of corporations to continue holding the web hostage to milk as much money out of it as they possibly can.

• They were giving .info domains away for free about 15 years ago.

The end result was a ton of garbage sites, suddenly all kinds of "see what sticks" spam and other rubbish was economical to try. OTOH it made the TLD one of the most popular in regards to domain registrations.

".com" stands for "company". It was never intended for personal use. There aren't ~130 million companies in the world and $10/y is a tiny price to pay for an internet presence under the com namespace.

• jsgjsg Member

@ricardo said:
    They were giving .info domains away for free about 15 years ago.

The end result was a ton of garbage sites, suddenly all kinds of "see what sticks" spam and other rubbish was economical to try. OTOH it made the TLD one of the most popular in regards to domain registrations.

Sooner or later those turned into a milking scheme too. But yes, free unfortunately also seems to mean lots of garbage. Maybe some basic rules could help.

".com" stands for "company". It was never intended for personal use. There aren't ~130 million companies in the world and $10/y is a tiny price to pay for an internet presence under the com namespace.

Agreed. And I would go even harder than @jar and would like to see a rule that a domain that is not credibly and constructively used is lost after 3 months to stop the domain hoarders, brokers, squatters.

Thanked by 1jar
  • If it meant less domain parking, I believe it will, then I’d probably be positive to a raise. Not of thr drastic kind, but enough to make domain parking less attractive.