Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Storage/Backup Solution?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Storage/Backup Solution?

OneTwoOneTwo Member
edited February 2012 in Help

hello, i need a storage/backup solution to upload some videos and photos because i'm out of disk. something like 500GB, reliable and cheap.

Comments

• 500gb is a LOT of storage, I don't think I've ever seen that much being offered, why don't you get an external drive to back them up to?

• External HDD?

Thanked by 1yomero
  • @Kairus said: 500gb is a LOT of storage, I don't think I've ever seen that much being offered

IPAP?

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • @tux ipap is dead.

@Kairus I travel and I would like to just be able to upload them right away. Online storage is a better solution for me.

• I could use like 2 or 3 accounts also. I'm not talking only for VPS.

• @OneTwo said: @Kairus I travel and I would like to just be able to upload them right away. Online storage is a better solution for me.

Carry HDD in your pocket.

• I have heard "dropbox is amazing".
    If your one file of videos and photos less than 100GB...
    If your one file more than 100GB, I recommend OVH

• I found a 2TB external disk for like 200$. I will probably get it in an old PC as server with samba and that will do the job. Cheaper on the long run also. But can an external disk be turned on for months?

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@tux said: IPAP?

Ahahahaha.

• How about a pair of Hostigation Backup270's?

500GB of online storage and cheap don't really belong in the same sentence to be honest but Hostigation has great prices on those backup VPS'

I have one and it works great. I use it for... backups and I have not had any issues.

• @OneTwo said: But can an external disk be turned on for months?

Yep, there should be no problem.

You could probably get a cheap dedicated server with a 500GB hdd, or use Hostigation or BuyVM's (if they ever had stock) storage plans, but it would get pretty expensive compared to an external drive.

• Your home server could be something like the Alix board: it is basically a Pentium computer with 256 Kb Ram, IDE, USB and network interfaces, and can boot from Flash card. It is very small, has extremely low power consumption, and is a lot better than a old computer. I used this board with 2 Gb flash boot drive and external low-power usb drive without any reliability issue, but the residential internet connection was too slow and unrealiable. A VPS is faster and more realiable. You can easily find a 128 Mb LEB for less than 20$/year and you can install a file transfer script to exchange files with friends. Of course, you will keep on this server only the files you need most. To exchange files with friends I use the (very old) Rapidsendit Clone script. Do you know a better free file transfer script, or you plan to use a different solution to access your files? Samba is not suited to transfer big files through Internet; you can setup a VPN but it will be really slow and cumbersome, and ftp is blocked on many free hot-spot.

• @OneTwo said: I will probably get it in an old PC as server with samba and that will do the job

Sounds like you're on Windows.
    I would suggest giving BackBlaze a try. $50 a year for unlimited space.

^ I would of kept using them if they had a native linux client

• upfreakupfreak Member
    edited February 2012
    20 GB ($5.00 USD per year)  -> 0.4/m
    80 GB ($20.00 USD per year) -> 1.6/m
    200 GB ($50.00 USD per year) -> 4.2/m
    400 GB ($100.00 USD per year) -> 8.3/m
    1 TB ($256.00 USD per year) -> 21.3/m

guess who is this? Google! Savvy?

Google storage is shared between Gmail, Picasa Web Albums, and Google Docs. You get extra space in all these services, in addition to your current free quota.

Files that you upload but don’t convert to Google Docs format can be up to 10 GB each.

• OneTwoOneTwo Member
    edited February 2012

@pcan thanks but I will get an external drive and connect it to an old server pc.

but why isn't samba suited? are file transfers encrypted?

• Go with a Well known company such as Livedrive. £15 for 2TB a month Includes FTP/Webdav/SFTP

• Samba (SMB protocol) is designed for low latency, low packet-loss LAN connections and is ineffective on general Internet. It works, but it is slower than most alternatives, less secure, and does not traverse most office or hotel proxy servers. You can try for yourself, if you happen to have a spare server. It works as expected only if you have a high quality connection, with low packet loss, low latency and no proxies. Definitely not something you will find easily while on travel.

• upfreakupfreak Member
    edited February 2012

Advantagecom XEN VPS- 512MB RAM, 200GB storage, 2TB/m - $50/1st year (60/yr from 2nd year)

• @pcan what would you suggest over internet that supports pause/resume?

• @OneTwo: Rsync?

• @Amfy on windows?

• @OneTwo: Unison?

• What about something like Carbonite?

• So what's your price range anyway?

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

Encrypted backup files are transferred to targets like FTP, Cloudfiles, WebDAV, SSH (SFTP), Amazon S3 and others.

http://www.duplicati.com/

Give it a try :)

• Dropbox is very good, i use a free account which is plenty of space for my needs. 100Gb is $19/month.

But, surly for that amount of space an external/portable hard drive just HAS to be the best option doesn't it? 500Gb 2.5 inch external drive is about £60 on ebay, no external power supply required either. I use them all the time.

• Hold on, no one mentioned your upload rate? How is your upload rate? Also, what kind of "storage" are you looking for here? FTP, WebDav, SFTP?

But... if you want a real server setup for this, look for NAS's. Only BuyVM offers storage plans and they have a $15/month for this, but... you'll wait a very long time for that stock, I guess!

• OneTwoOneTwo Member
    edited February 2012

@Boltersdriveer whatever works. i'll get an external hdd, that's the best solution I can imagine. i will try unison and duplicati too.

• Over the last 6 or 7 years, I've tried a bunch of backup solutions. First was a pair of drives in a RAID1 on a home server, then the same box moved offsite to a friend's house (in case of robbery or other disaster), then hosting data online at BQBackup, then online at WebWideHosting, then at online at Hostigation and BuyVM (I have backup plans on both).

After all of that, I must say that hosting my data online on a VPS in certainly worth the money spent.

Having the data on a home server keeps your data in the same place as the source data, so in the event of a natural disaster or robbery, both your data and the backup are gone.

Having the data in a remote location from the source is good, but having to restore any appreciable amount of data from the remote end at your standard 256kbit DSL upload rate is terrible. Also, you're saturating your friend's uplink, which he/she may not be happy abount.

BQBackup was a great service, but at that time I only had FTP & Samba access to the data. I already had a couple of PHP web scripts that I had written to interact with the data. Not being able to access it like that limited where I could access the data from. However, their network was always fast, and the systems never went down.

Moving to WebWideHosting was great. To date, it has been my most reliable VPS out of any host. I've been with them since roughly 2005. I have their VBS184 package. I am always able to fully utilize my bandwidth and monthly traffic allocations, and fully utilize the disk. Note the limitations though, limited to 800KB/s uplink, 100Mhz CPU, and 100MB RAM. However, for the 80GB disk, I was able to run lighttpd with my PHP scripts, and rsync to and from the disk without fail. As my directory tree got deeper, I found 100MB was not sufficient to rsync. Rsync would crash when expanding the file list. I still have this service at ~$12USD/month and it's currently at 300+ days uptime.

Last year I started using Hostigations Backup150 and Backup30 plans in Rockhill. Fast network, reliable systems (which is a relative term that I use in conjunction with the price range. Tim is doing a great job providing excellent service at a reasonable rate). There were a couple of RAID array issues over the last couple of months or two, but other than that, service has been great. I'd recommend it any day. I still have this service and I use it most frequently.

Late last year I signed up for a 500GB BuyVM storage plan. I haven't had to use it much yet, but from the little I have played it, the network is fast and it's had very respectable uptime so far. And those clowns over at BuyVM are always helpful and fun. It's a nice little community following they've gathered. If the performance of their other nodes is any indication of how they run their storage nodes (which is typically the case), I'd be surprised if I don't get great service. I can't recall the uptime off the top of my head, but I'll edit this when I can check).

• From a backup point of view, thats all great. I put similar things in place for my customers using on site DR backups to local removable disks and off site backups over the internet. But they are backups, not additional storage like the OP was asking for really.