Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Super Simple Blog with Ghost.org
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Super Simple Blog with Ghost.org

agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

A number of people recommended Ghost for a super simple blog in this thread: In Need of Super Simple Blog

I'm happy to say it is now open to the public and I have a copy of it running! It's fantastic. Nothing but a pure writing experience, a vibrant community of programmers and designers. I highly recommend it if you want something simple to write with.

Give it a try and I think you'll agree :D

Comments

• Can you tell me why one would use this vs a hosted wordpress site or blogger which are both free, heck even tumblr i understand you want to do this but you wont even get 2nd choice unless your software is better and for my feedback it is not.

• Maybe because he wants to focus on writing instead of worrying about which theme to choose, when to upgrade to the latest version and what cache plugin to use?

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

@agoldenberg Post an URL to an example of a simple blog that's running this (yours, maybe).

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited October 2013

They have a downloadable version as well.

http://ghost.org/download

Someone on IRC linked me to there personal one and it's pretty nice, clean and just works without much bloated stuff people don't need.

This is how it pretty much looks out the box:
    http://blog.ghost.org

• agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

@rm_ http://blog.coderandrew.com

@dorkfiles I'm running ghost on my own server. You're entitled to your opinion but this is far lighter than WordPress and is focused on writing and not plugins and poorly coded themes.

edited October 2013

Yeah it looks not bad.

The official blog.ghost.org however, so royally screws up scrolling in my Chromium, trying to click any of the headlines makes the tab go into the "scroll" mode, and after that I'm unable to click anything else on that tab, the only recourse is closing the tab.

Chalking that up to "too smart for their own good" whiz-bang Node-schmode-JS coding and that reinforces my decision to wait for at least a year until bugs like these (and all the security holes) are ironed out, before touching it with even a ten-foot pole.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I like it. Thanks for sharing!

• I have it running for my www erawan.me a few days ago :)

edited October 2013

I have it running for my www erawan.me a few days ago :)

Same problem on erawan.me:

in my Chromium, trying to click any of the headlines makes the tab go into the "scroll" mode, and after that I'm unable to click anything else on that tab, the only recourse is closing the tab.

• @rm_ said:

in my Chromium, trying to click any of the headlines makes the tab go into the "scroll" mode, and after that I'm unable to click anything else on that tab, the only recourse is closing the tab.

Thanks for the information rm_
    I haven't tried to browse from my tab yet. But from my pc, all borwser were fine. I've hacked some part of the themes, so I hope it's working fine now.

• where can I get the php files and install it manually?

I haven't tried to browse from my tab yet. But from my pc, all borwser were fine.

Do you seriously think I mean "tab" as in "Tablet"? Nope, tab as in "a tab of the browser". And the browser in question is Chromium 22 on Debian 7.

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho
    edited October 2013

Last Chromium ~22 release was 14 months ago maybe something to do with it?

So are we completely okay with using software that is utterly broken and makes your blog unnavigable in a browser from just the last year?...

edited October 2013

Considering the release cycle of chrome/chromium…yes. Get the hair out of your bum and update it FFS.

How about no. If you care that your website will have a wide audience, you aren't going to write at the door that only the latest Chrome/whatever is accepted. Learn some proper coding and don't completely break your simple text web page to the point of unusability. Graceful fallback, ever heard about it? "FFS" at you [or actually at the Ghost devs], if anything...

@psycholyzern said:
    where can I get the php files and install it manually?

This system does not run on PHP. It runs on NodeJS you need to visit tryghost.org and read the documentation first.

So you're 7 major versions out of date…

Yeah with major versions being stamped out every couple of weeks or so with no real changes to speak of, that certainly means a lot these days.

• c0yc0y Member
    edited October 2013

Oh it's nodejs?! Interesting, PHP('s performance and usual lack on dev's side) annoys me

Edit:
    video addresses some very good points, although sounding a bit cheesy, I like it

• Simple and clean. Thanks for sharing.

• @rm_ said:
    Yeah it looks not bad.

The official blog.ghost.org however, so royally screws up scrolling in my Chromium, trying to click any of the headlines makes the tab go into the "scroll" mode, and after that I'm unable to click anything else on that tab, the only recourse is closing the tab.

Chalking that up to "too smart for their own good" whiz-bang Node-schmode-JS coding and that reinforces my decision to wait for at least a year until bugs like these (and all the security holes) are ironed out, before touching it with even a ten-foot pole.

I've looked over that page... there's nothing on it that would cause that. It's pure HTML5 and CSS3. Hell the only Javascript on it is google and segment tracking code.

I've tested in latest chromium on deb 7 with no problems. Don't really feel like finding or building an old package to test.

Also, works perfectly on IE6.

• Is it still broke rm_ ?

• ironhideironhide Member
    edited October 2013

So Ghost team managed £196,362 from KickStarter (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/johnonolan/ghost-just-a-blogging-platform), and still looking for more (check their donate page)

And all of this, just because someone thought that WordPress is too big as a simple blogging platform?

SERIOUSLY??

Reminds me of Diaspora who managed to get $200,000 from Kickstarter just to build an OpenSource Facebook with Privacy blah blah and ultimately met an epic failure

• @amarc said:

I don't think I've ever been more annoyed by someones voice alone. Half of the things he said were not true, or have been fixed.

Given that video is a year old I'll give it the benefit of the doubt but he's talking shit about something that was at an infant stage then and is still infant now.

That being said Node has awesome use cases and is being deployed (and scaled) successfully.

• c0yc0y Member
    edited October 2013

@amarc said:

This guy is full of shit. Says javascript is slow because it doesnt get compiled (it actually does during runtime) and blames V8 for not being able to scalable calculate PI to a 100 decimals. Furthermore this guy keeps contradicting himself, summed up with a bunch of ignorance, like where he says it isn't non-blocking because it doesn't write to the disk. The truth is, the kernel is non-blocking, but standard C I/O functions (and many more languages) aren't. This guy should get his facts straight and not try to perform rocket science with node...

• @agoldenberg said:

yah.. thats why I ask.. it too complicated.. I hate when I cant control the installation like php can..

• It looks pretty nice, but I don't really see what it's bringing to the table that wordpress or joomla isn't.

@psycholyzern Its actually super easy to configure and install.

• c0yc0y Member

@BuyCPanel_Kevin said:
    It looks pretty nice, but I don't really see what it's bringing to the table that wordpress or joomla isn't.

Watch the video: wordpress is more becoming a clungy slow PHP CMs while ghost is a simple nodejs blog

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited October 2013

@rm_ said:
    How about no. If you care that your website will have a wide audience, you aren't going to write at the door that only the latest Chrome/whatever is accepted. Learn some proper coding and don't completely break your simple text web page to the point of unusability. Graceful fallback, ever heard about it? "FFS" at you [or actually at the Ghost devs], if anything...

Lol oh come on. Name a website that isn't broken in some version of some browser. Chrome is one of the big players. Chromium is not.

• GetSimple + NewsManager plugin is pretty simple, VERY lightweight and secure.

• http://blog.coderandrew.com and http://www.erawan.me

I like the simplicity of these sites. Nice job guys.