How do you manage your own server?
New on LowEndTalk? Please read our 'Community Rules' by clicking on it in the right menu!

How do you manage your own server?

What do you do on monthly basis?
I'm asking this bcz i want to manage mine.
What things i need to know?

I AM PURE CLUELESS DUMB AND RETARD PERSON WHO HAVE IDIOT QUESTIONS.

Comments

• IshaqIshaq Member, Provider

apt-get update

[BudgetNode] DDoS Protected. 7 Locations (US/EU). Check out our latest offer!
  • @Ishaq said:
    apt-get update

Centos, right?
    I have directadmin installed on centos. What else should i do?

• IshaqIshaq Member, Provider

yum update

[BudgetNode] DDoS Protected. 7 Locations (US/EU). Check out our latest offer!
  • @Ishaq said:
    yum update

yeah i already know that but what something else?
    what if i face with errors , problems, hacking attempts?

• folomfolom Member
    edited September 10

Do you know fastest and free place to ask and get immediate help?
    Im sorry for asking but i really dont want to pay ridiculous amounts to sysadmins every month. my budget is low.

• deankdeank Member
    edited September 10

You go paid for "immediate help".

We aren't your sugar daddies.

Customers are your ultimate enemy. Abuse them, scam them, put them out of misery before they take you out. Scam or be scammed. This is the world of LET.

• mfsmfs Member

systemd/Ansible, systemd/tmux, systemd/clusterssh, systemd/mosh, systemd/dropbear

yum update -y (if you're not a pussy you accept any package without revising it) && systemctl daemon-reexec

not a fan of systemd/docker

folom said: Im sorry for asking but i really dont want to pay ridiculous amounts to sysadmins every month.

It's ok if you're ready to pay with your blood

Anyway, IRC should be your first stop I guess

folom said: I have directadmin installed on centos. What else should i do?

You're all set it seems

• mailinaboxmailinabox Member
    edited September 11

rm-rf *

This will fix your problem.

Do you have a mail in a box?

• @mailinabox said:
    rm-rf *

Nice server administration method but if OP would change his root password to root, admin or password it would be way more fun.

• @dodheimsgard said:

@mailinabox said:
    rm-rf *

Nice server administration method but if OP would change his root password to root, admin or password it would be way more fun.

Never do that. It's very error-prone, especially if there is some issue with the keyboard language (whereby "admin" would become "qd;in", or "password" would be "pqsszord": you would lock yourself out).

Better use some simple numeric chain e.g. "12345".

Providing less than /64 means "we are clueless about IPv6". I haz ArubaCloud, IonSwitch, OneProv/Online, SoyouStart, Veesp.

• I SSH into it.
    • I set up SSH to allow public key only.
    • I uninstall shit I don't want to use.
    • I don't let anyone else access it
    • I program, but I be careful that nefarious meh-feckers can't abuse my code

That's it managed.

• huntercophuntercop Member
    edited September 12

It all depends on what you are doing. I try to automate as much as possible. Update is the basic thing I check, as you can see from others here. Sometimes I test services, I expect to have issues or experience issues either due to new known vulnerabilities or through my observations of performance. Automation helps me identify what to track. I not only automate the monitoring process (tons of services out there, like runcloud), but also automate the notification portion of it and sometimes have scripts that autorun when specific observations are triggered.

To be honest, I am not very techy and all of that is very simple to do. It also comes down to what you intend to do. For my wordpress sites, I have to be extremely proactive and careful. For other services like ventrilo, or media servers, I usually don't do much until an issue arises as I have backups and its very fast to just reset the server and load the configurations back in. For things enterprise applications (i.e. JIRA), I make sure regular backups are working as intended, and do random smoke testing for known issues.

One more thing to consider is the type of service you buy. For my managed services, I do very little. I usually expect them to be monitoring or checking and when I suspect something, I open a ticket and ask them to investigate and resolve if an issue (may) exist.

Remember, the key is to keep it simple for yourself. Not just working hard, more important to be working smart.

Automate server mgmt w/ Runcloud - aff link gives +15 days for pro
    Click here for Runcloud w/o aff link and +0 days for pro.

1. Get one page manual of linux

2. Setup monitoring

3. Schedule/Plan for regular update, hardening, etc.

4. Pay someone for certain job like scripting, installation, etc (fiverr or upwork or etc)

5. Choose right control panel or virtualisation if you plan to do multiple things later. Pay more if you are into lazy mode.

Doesn't matter what u do. you should be fine to start with those.

signature for rent - ^_^

• folom said: Centos, right?

better outsource your server management.

• WebProjectWebProject Member, Provider

@kkrajk said:

folom said: Centos, right?

better outsource your server management.

Not the best option as cery cheap outsource (as OP has very low budget, see above) are normally does opposite effect as it will be pointless to secure anything.

VPS Price Match Guarantee on: All our range of DDOS protected XEN-HVM VPS Plans
    Are you looking for best price for self-managed VPS? See WebProVPS website for more details.
  • unattended-upgrades, logwatch, monit, scheduled backups. And checking emails. I do not need anything else...

• @folom said:

don't do anything when there isn't any problem

the first problem you need to know (understand) is "why you want to manage server ?"

example solution: find cheaper provider (if money is the problem)

• LeeLee Member

kassle said: don't do anything when there isn't any problem

Just because it works does not mean there isn't a problem. Waiting until your server is hacked to find out there was a gaping hole is really not a solution.

It's better to keep your mouth closed, and let everyone wonder if you're stupid; than to open it and remove all doubt.

• You can also buy a managed server and let someone else do it for you while you drink some beer.

☆ Black Friday 2017 winner: Veesp.com (aff).

• AlphaNinevps_comAlphaNinevps_com Member, Provider

@folom said:

When you have your fresh VPS.
    Do a 'yum update' and 'yum upgrade'
    Change your ssh port to custom instead 22
    Install CSF firewall on your VPS and fail2ban
    Don't allow anonymous user to login from FTP
    Make sure you whitelist your static IP in your firewall or range.
    I recommend to install iftop on your server to monitor incoming and outgoing traffic on your VPS.
    You can even install nagios on your VPS . To get alarm in case of critical and down situations.

• @Lee said:
    Just because it works does not mean there isn't a problem. Waiting until your server is hacked to find out there was a gaping hole is really not a solution.

problem didn't mean to be happen first, prevention is a problem too.
    but why we need to prevent from hacking when his managed server has no service (ssh, http, etc) running

• LeeLee Member

kassle said: why we need to prevent from hacking when his managed server has no service (ssh, http, etc) running

He is asking for help to manage a server and does not appear to know how to do it. Where has 'managed server' come from?

It's better to keep your mouth closed, and let everyone wonder if you're stupid; than to open it and remove all doubt.

• @Lee said:
    He is asking for help to manage a server and does not appear to know how to do it. Where has 'managed server' come from?

yes, the problem is why he want to manage the server by self ?

a.) budget
    b.) learning
    c.) privacy
    d.) tech guy
    e.) etc

• LeeLee Member

kassle said: yes, the problem is why he want to manage the server by self ?

Well, that's his issue not yours.

• Gamma17Gamma17 Member
    edited September 12

@Lee said:

Is blanket-applying a bunch of pointless "very important security updates" a solution though? Do not really understand why people like doing it so much, because it does not make things more secure. Properly configuring exposed services, along with monitoring and patching or mitigating relevant vulnerabilities in them does.

Thanked by 1pxhaxor
  • LeeLee Member
    edited September 12

Gamma17 said: Is blanket-applying a bunch of pointless "very important security updates" a solution though?

No, but then that is not the point.

Gamma17 said: Properly configuring exposed services, along with monitoring and patching or mitigating relevant vulnerabilities in them does.

That is. Which is a long way from

Thanked by 1Gamma17

• simpleguy8288simpleguy8288 Member
    edited September 12

Here are some things I would advise:

Considering you are on CentOS:

Subscribe to this mailing list: https://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-announce

So every time there is a security issue you will be notified. You can apply security patches to your machines accordingly.

For me, a disk getting full is a most common issue when working servers stop working.

I would suggest you configure a monitoring system like Munin, or subscribe to a SaaS-based monitoring system. I have seen https://hetrixtools.com/ recommended quite a few times, here on LET, though I haven't personally used it.

Here a few alarms I set on all my systems:

1. Disk Space Usage: at 70%
    2. CPU Usage: more than 70% for 5 minutes for at least 2 consecutive updates.
    3. Network bandwidth usage: This will depend on the kind of network connection you have.
    4. One or more uptime alarms for HTTP endpoints for systems deployed on the server.

Generally, I have found that if there is something wrong with a deployment, at least one of the top 4 will alert.

Another common issue is DDOS attacks. Or Wordpress related attacks. Check if your provider has DDOS protection and subscribe to it. Also sometimes there are targetted slower DOS attacks (which slip through providers DDOS filters) for things like Wordpress API, Wordpress Login, etc. For this, you should have failtoban configured. Also, a Wordpress security plugin like Wordfence will help.

• deankdeank Member
    edited September 12

Few things to note.

1. He is gone.
    2. If you follow his post history, you will find that he is unable to comprehend most of things you guys wrote.
    3. He wants simple answers, yet his questions are vague and board.
    4. He has no budget and expects people from LET to be his support staffs. He wants "immediate" and "good" answers. The issue is noted in 2. He can't understand the answers.

Customers are your ultimate enemy. Abuse them, scam them, put them out of misery before they take you out. Scam or be scammed. This is the world of LET.

• @Lee said:

No, but then that is not the point.

That is. Which is a long way from

Yeah, i basically misquoted/misunderstood your post here, sorry. Just a bit fed up by all the fans of "latest and greatest" "lets apply all the updates to everything without any testing or backups, what can go wrong anyway?" at this point in time...

It was more directed towards all the "yum update", "apt-get update" answers...

Thanked by 1Lee
  • I don't

Modern, Cheap and White-Label - Custom Web Designs /WHMCS Integrations too!
    20GB SSD Disk, 200GB Bandwidth, U.K Location, Free .COM & .NET Domain - shared - 30$/year

• Everyone giving different advices and i think its useless to listen everything wroted here.
    I think for small vps there shouldnt be need for every tasks/monitoring etc.

• @folom said:
    Everyone giving different advices and i think its useless to listen everything wroted here.

one can't turn shit into gold, so even if you learn how to manage a server, if you pick a less than mediocre one that's just too cheap or in the wrong location it won't help.

stick with shared hosting and try to understand that a page achieving a C on gtmetrix can still be more stable and even faster than one with a B depending on so much different stuff that you'll never get it into your tiny brain.

have your page ever been slow or not responding or you just hunting greener numbers?

UltraVPS.eu KVM in US/UK/NL/DE: 15% off first 6 month and cheap 750G / 2TB storage offers
    Netcup KVM: 2GB 40TB BW - 16,14€ 6m or 2 dedCore 6GB 320GB - 78,88€ 12m /w 5€ off: 36nc15279180197 | 36nc15292244387

• folomfolom Member
    edited September 12

have your page ever been slow or not responding or you just hunting greener numbers?

thats okay now (with vps) but its not scored as good as with shared before.
    However shared hosting cant handle traffic spikes and sometimes gives errors, high cpu/ram usages..

• The problem is that you are measuring a site's speed with (fake) scores.

• folomfolom Member
    edited September 12

@deank said:
    The problem is that you are measuring a site's speed with (fake) scores.

But google pagespeed is giving 70 and 59 for mobile speed.
    I am almost happy with my own browser speed. But how can i measure the others?

The problem is i couldnt find any reliable managed vps for around 40-45 usd/mo. I can get 45 usd for only unmanaged ones (plus directadmin).

I have a question:
    Almost everthing is set on the vps now. So if I disable managed support next months, what problems would i be face? What can i do?

• deankdeank Member
    edited September 12

Nothing because those scores mean nothing.

You were somehow brainwashed to believe in bullshit.

• folom said: However shared hosting cant handle traffic spikes and sometimes gives errors, high cpu/ram usages..

then upgrade your shared hosting plan and be done, were is the problem?

UltraVPS.eu KVM in US/UK/NL/DE: 15% off first 6 month and cheap 750G / 2TB storage offers
    Netcup KVM: 2GB 40TB BW - 16,14€ 6m or 2 dedCore 6GB 320GB - 78,88€ 12m /w 5€ off: 36nc15279180197 | 36nc15292244387

• @Falzo said:

folom said: However shared hosting cant handle traffic spikes and sometimes gives errors, high cpu/ram usages..

then upgrade your shared hosting plan and be done, were is the problem?

problem is hostings take so much money for managing server (30-35 usd).
    I dont earn money from vps no selling anything and have small (realjob) earning : 200 usd/mo.
    so i have to find an affordable managed vps or manage it.

• Nobody is pointing a gun at you to run the site. (If you do have a gun pointed at you, I suppose I should apologize.)

If it ain't working, shut it down.

• Gamma17Gamma17 Member
    edited September 12

IMO it sounds like the site is just a hobby in this case, so... the question is do you want to learn or do you want things to "just work" not caring how?

If you want to learn IMO make a VM on your PC and try building web server out of it from scratch, read things about security/configuration of services you are going to expose (basically web server and ssh server) etc. Or you can buy like $1/month vps and do the same there. Then when you are comfortable with it migrate your site to something unmanaged. And expect to still make mistakes, as everybody makes mistakes.

And if you do not want to learn... you will have to learn extra money and pay for managed service, or abandon the idea alltogether.

• @folom said:

@Falzo said:

folom said: However ...

I dont earn money from vps no selling anything and have small (realjob) earning : 200 usd/mo.
    ...manage it.

Are you making 200 usd/mo for real? Where are you from?

• @yongsiklee said:

@folom said:

@Falzo said:

...manage it.

Not all country have 3000 USD/mo as the standard salary.

• @brian777 said:

@yongsiklee said:

@folom said:

@Falzo said:

...manage it.

Not all country have 3000 USD/mo as the standard salary.

I keep forgetting things like it....

• ricardoricardo Member
    edited September 13

deank said: Few things to note.

He is gone. If you follow his post history, you will find that he is unable to comprehend most of things you guys wrote. He wants simple answers, yet his questions are vague and board. He has no budget and expects people from LET to be his support staffs. He wants "immediate" and "good" answers. The issue is noted in 2. He can't understand the answers.

I think he has a vague understanding. It sounds like he is going to break shit to create himself a job.

• @Lee said:
    Well, that's his issue not yours.

i will not give a gun to a kid because they say "i want a gun, how to use it ?"

as the thread flow we knew that OP problem is ... ignorance

@folom said:
    Everyone giving different advices and i think its useless to listen everything wroted here.

budget ? hmm not really

@folom said:
    The problem is i couldnt find any reliable managed vps for around 40-45 usd/mo. I can get 45 usd for only unmanaged ones (plus directadmin).

@folom said:

(if he only use) wordpress bussiness plan is only $25/month

dreamhost managed vps (bussiness plan) is only $27.50/month

based on OP problem above i would suggest to find (but still) new managed vps or shared hosting provider.

• @folom said:

(if he only use) wordpress bussiness plan is only $25/month

dreamhost managed vps (bussiness plan) is only $27.50/month

based on OP problem above i would suggest to find (but still) new managed vps or shared hosting provider.

https://www.dreamhost.com/hosting/vps/

Whats the difference between 2gb and 4gb ram?

• DedicadudeDedicadude Member
    edited September 13

@Gamma17 said:
    IMO it sounds like the site is just a hobby in this case, so... the question is do you want to learn or do you want things to "just work" not caring how?

If you want to learn IMO make a VM on your PC and try building web server out of it from scratch, read things about security/configuration of services you are going to expose (basically web server and ssh server) etc. Or you can buy like $1/month vps and do the same there. Then when you are comfortable with it migrate your site to something unmanaged. And expect to still make mistakes, as everybody makes mistakes.

And if you do not want to learn... you will have to learn extra money and pay for managed service, or abandon the idea alltogether.

Where can I get $1/month vps. I'd like to get some please give me order link...

• Here's 1$ vps.
    https://www.skysilk.com/cloud/pricing/#classId=Basic&section=2

I don't know anything about skysilk so don't ask. ;)

• @folom said:

You're one thankless, useless, unappreciative, uncivilized and stupid person. Did I say useless? Yes, you my friend are useless.

People where spending thier time giving you advice on your topic and the first thing that came to your small brain is to call their advice useless? Your parents must be very proud of you.