Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is SkySilk any good?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is SkySilk any good?

The prices are so cheap, just wondering if anyone is using them seriously

Comments

• PandyPandy Member
    edited September 2018

Idk how seriously people can be using them yet, if they launched 1st of september

Also, i like how they are comparing their cheapest plan, that doesnt even allow backups or other addons, that has 100mb/s network limit with 3tb bandwith, to for example the digitalocean one that AFAIK can get up to 1gbit with 6tb bandwith, where as if they would stack it up with the skysilk standart plan that has 200mb/s limit and 5tb + addons, that would be closer to 75$, which is not that great to compare against digitaloceans 80$ plan

• curious who is behind this company. Is it quadranet?

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran
    edited September 2018

Test them yourself and find out. I've already started benchmark/tests with Skysilk for their basic/std medium plans and AMD EPYC is next https://community.centminmod.com/threads/15589/. Unfortunately, so far basic/std medium plans seem relatively slow for 4 cpu core VPSes compared others I have tested and disk file fsync latency seems much slower than say Linode. Hoping that changes with AMD EPYC tests I have planned. Though if you want 40+ cpu cores, it's cheaper to get a hourly billed bare metal AMD EPYC 7401P from packet.net than with Skysilk based on prices and won't have virtualisation overhead with LXC containers due to bare metal dedicated.

FYI, Skysilk also count both bandwidth in/out.

Though ran into an issue due to Skysilk using Proxmox/LXC containers instead of KVM/XEN/OpenVZ for VPSes so CentOS pure-ftpd provided by YUM fails to start.

[ERROR] Unable to switch capabilities : Operation not permitted

Didn't have such issues with ssdnode KVM VPS where I had Ubuntu 18.0.4 running LXD container based CentOS 7 with Centmin Mod and no problems with pure-ftpd.

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor
    edited September 2018

Interesting product. Just checked them out for a bit and I'm liking it so far. The control panel is really slick and everything works as expected. You can get $7 worth of credit for free easily by signing up ($5), liking them on facebook ($1), and following them on twitter ($1). That would give you 7 months free of their smallest VPS package. You do need a credit card to deploy a VPS whether you have credit or not, which is expected for fraud prevention purposes.

Since we're cheap assholes here, I quickly spun up the cheapest VPSes in LA and NY. Below is a quick bench.sh.

LA (QuadraNet DC) bench.sh:

----------------------------------------------------------------------
    CPU model            : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2680 0 @ 2.70GHz
    Number of cores      : 1
    CPU frequency        : 3192.886 MHz
    Total size of Disk   : 9.8 GB (0.7 GB Used)
    Total amount of Mem  : 512 MB (30 MB Used)
    Total amount of Swap : 512 MB (0 MB Used)
    System uptime        : 0 days, 0 hour 3 min
    Load average         : 6.63, 5.85, 5.37
    OS                   : Debian GNU/Linux 9
    Arch                 : x86_64 (64 Bit)
    Kernel               : 4.15.17-3-pve
    I/O speed(1st run)   : 29.4 MB/s
    I/O speed(2nd run)   : 28.1 MB/s
    I/O speed(3rd run)   : 31.8 MB/s
    Average I/O speed    : 29.8 MB/s
    Node Name                       IPv4 address            Download Speed
    CacheFly                        205.234.175.175         11.9MB/s
    Linode, Tokyo, JP               106.187.96.148          3.83MB/s
    Linode, Singapore, SG           139.162.23.4            6.42MB/s
    Linode, London, UK              176.58.107.39           8.08MB/s
    Linode, Frankfurt, DE           139.162.130.8           10.2MB/s
    Linode, Fremont, CA             50.116.14.9             11.9MB/s
    Softlayer, Dallas, TX           173.192.68.18           11.6MB/s
    Softlayer, Seattle, WA          67.228.112.250          11.7MB/s
    Softlayer, Frankfurt, DE        159.122.69.4            9.90MB/s
    Softlayer, Singapore, SG        119.81.28.170           9.31MB/s
    Softlayer, HongKong, CN         119.81.130.170          9.52MB/s

NY (NYI DC) bench.sh:

CPU model            : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2660 v2 @ 2.20GHz
    Number of cores      : 1
    CPU frequency        : 2654.995 MHz                                                
    Total size of Disk   : 9.8 GB (0.7 GB Used)                                        
    Total amount of Mem  : 512 MB (29 MB Used)                                         
    Total amount of Swap : 512 MB (0 MB Used)                                          
    System uptime        : 0 days, 0 hour 3 min                                        
    Load average         : 6.07, 6.25, 6.32                                            
    OS                   : Debian GNU/Linux 9                                          
    Arch                 : x86_64 (64 Bit)                                             
    Kernel               : 4.15.18-3-pve                                               
    I/O speed(1st run)   : 131 MB/s                                                    
    I/O speed(2nd run)   : 138 MB/s                                                    
    I/O speed(3rd run)   : 138 MB/s                                                    
    Average I/O speed    : 135.7 MB/s                                                  ------------------------------------------------------------
    ----------             
    Node Name                       IPv4 address            Download Speed             
    CacheFly                        205.234.175.175         12.0MB/s                   
    Linode, Tokyo, JP               106.187.96.148          5.54MB/s                   
    Linode, Singapore, SG           139.162.23.4            4.49MB/s                   
    Linode, London, UK              176.58.107.39           3.30MB/s                   
    Linode, Frankfurt, DE           139.162.130.8           7.03MB/s                   
    Linode, Fremont, CA             50.116.14.9             9.83MB/s                   
    Softlayer, Dallas, TX           173.192.68.18           5.04MB/s                   
    Softlayer, Seattle, WA          67.228.112.250          4.70MB/s                   
    Softlayer, Frankfurt, DE        159.122.69.4            3.04MB/s                  
    Softlayer, Singapore, SG        119.81.28.170           1.42MB/s                   
    Softlayer, HongKong, CN         119.81.130.170          5.93MB/s

Load seemed a little high and disk speed seemed low for SSD, but still perfectly acceptable for $1/mo. The LA datacenter is QuadraNet and the NY datacenter is NYI. More DCs (inc. Europe) planned for the future.

Probably will be using their service for some stuff just because of how cheap it is.

Thanked by 2Dazzle eva2000
  • MasonR said: Load seemed a little high

It's high due to LXC containers reporting the host node's cpu usage https://help.skysilk.com/support/discussions/topics/9000042237

Interesting NY vs LA has different cpus and linux kernels in play as well.

Thanked by 1MasonR
  • ShazanShazan Member, Host Rep

So basic, standard and premium are all LXC containers?
    Why do they mention KVM in their website then?

• Shazan said: So basic, standard and premium are all LXC containers?

Why do they mention KVM in their website then?

Don't think they have mentioned KVM anywhere ? but they have plans for KVM https://help.skysilk.com/support/discussions/topics/9000041880

Our current infrastructure is based on LXC containers, which are served via ProxMox virtualization. Eventually, our goal is to be able to offer multiple types of virtualization such as KVM and others, but at the time of this writing our main focus and product offerings are centered around ProxMox.

Thanked by 1Shazan
  • ShazanShazan Member, Host Rep

@eva2000 said:
    Don't think they have mentioned KVM anywhere ? but they have plans for KVM https://help.skysilk.com/support/discussions/topics/9000041880

yes, here (technologies we use): https://www.skysilk.com/about/open-source

But maybe, as showed in that link you provided, it is just because they have plans for it.

• @MasonR can you check if there is ipv6 and fuse is enabled as well as if you can set ipv6 reverse dns. Their last update on that was 10 months ago for ipv6.

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

@smile said:
    @MasonR can you check if there is ipv6 and fuse is enabled as well as if you can set ipv6 reverse dns. Their last update on that was 10 months ago for ipv6.

No IPv6 right now. FUSE works without any issues.

Thanked by 1smile
  • @jcaleb

Off-topic: Your sig is recommending a website that writes essays for students, etc. Isn't that classified as academic dishonesty and grounds for expulsion?

I just feel that offering or recommending such services is not appropriate for LET.

Thanked by 2mfs jcaleb
  • maybe this whole thread is SEO for his essay writing website?

Thanked by 1rm_
  • I/O speed(1st run) : 29.4 MB/s

That IO speed... wow