How bad is 1&1?
New on LowEndTalk? Please read our 'Community Rules' by clicking on it in the right menu!

How bad is 1&1?

It's hard to find prices, but renewal is coming up for my .com domain, and according to domcomp.com godaddy offers $1 .com transfers

I can't actually find any prices on the site for transfers though, but if it is $1 is it worth transferring to 1&1 and then transferring away when possible?

Favourite host in general: Ramnode (affiliate link)
Favourite host for hourly billing/custom ISOs: Vultr (affiliate link)

Comments

  • h2oh2o Member

    "how bad" is more easier to find than "how good" for all company.

  • the title is contra to the post.

  • Just pick a regular pricing at a stable register and go with it.

    Applicable for domains in general relativity, derived from the first law of physics:
    "Anything that's fun costs at least eight dollars."
    Therefore, domain-wise, nothing fun costs 1$.

    However, if it's a vps we're talking about and the demands are too damn small, then the case of special relatvity applies, where prices can't be above 7$, otherwise all the fun is lost.

    Albert Einstein himself worked his whole life on this theory and died failing to merge the two. He tried everything, even marrying his cousin, but nothing helped.

    Thanked by 2hostdare southy
  • ChuckChuck Member
    edited September 9

    @Janevski said:
    Just pick a regular pricing at a stable register and go with it.

    Applicable for domains in general relativity, derived from the first law of physics:
    "Anything that's fun costs at least eight dollars."
    Therefore, domain-wise, nothing fun costs 1$.

    However, if it's a vps we're talking about and the demands are too damn small, then the case of special relatvity applies, where prices can't be above 7$, otherwise all the fun is lost.

    Albert Einstein himself worked his whole life on this theory and died failing to merge the two. He tried everything, even marrying his cousin, but nothing helped.

    https://imgur.com/a/Huwmrze

    Thanked by 1Janevski

    I like what she said, not what it means.

  • hostdarehostdare Member, Provider
    edited September 9

    Janevski said: Janevski

    what are you smoking ? seems like very high quality import :hushed:

    HostDare - One of the cheapest and coolest providers online! :) | Our premium unmanaged vps plans | Cheap Shared Hosting

  • This has been established previously, they are awful and you should avoid them.

  • Folks still trying to cheats by transfer for $1 to each other every year :)

    People always hate those who tell them the truth, and love those who lie to them.

  • It's not 2 bad.

  • I'm not sure that 1&1 is as bad as many suggest. I registered a domain with them back in 2013, then transferred it out before the end of the first year. Their panel back then was a little annoying, the transfer out took nearly a week, but otherwise it wasn't such a bad experience.

    Some people on LET have said that their hosting is okay.

    "[...] the Linux philosophy is 'laugh in the face of danger'. Oops. Wrong one. 'Do it yourself'. That's it." (L. Torvalds)

  • use google domains, its fucking phenomenal

    Automate server mgmt w/ Runcloud - aff link gives +15 days for pro
    Click here for Runcloud w/o aff link and +0 days for pro.

  • NeoonNeoon Member
    edited September 9

    Its not bad, got a few domains with them, its fine.

  • pikepike Member
    edited September 9

    I really hate them. They sell way overpriced webhosting/VPS to people that are not familiar with the prices but still give zero support. Connected with Drillisch and Rocket Internet that are known for bad business practices too.

  • In general, it's not as though one had to deal with a registrar on such a frequent basis. As long as a registrar protects one's domain and allows one to transfer out unproblematically, they're probably good enough for the purpose.

    Hosting is another question altogether.

    "[...] the Linux philosophy is 'laugh in the face of danger'. Oops. Wrong one. 'Do it yourself'. That's it." (L. Torvalds)

  • HostDocHostDoc Member, Provider

    Other than the spam and constant calls they make attempting to upsell you, they are not bad.
    I do not know about the hosting or VPS as I have never utilised it but have a few domains with them which are admittently more expansive than some other places but that would be the only bad thing, their prices.
    Never needed to contact support so have no idea how that is either.
    Their dashboard has had an overhaul over the past year and it is very easy to navigate.

    HostDoc Hosting Ltd | NVMe SSD Shared Hosting | VDS |Resource Pool | Storage | Black Friday Plans
    UK-France-Germany-Finland-USA-Canada-Singapore-Australia

  • Avoid at all cost. Their support is like a robot. I find it's better talking with my pet.

  • This thread will bring them fresh sales.

    FREE bsdguy. Join the nigh sect today!

  • pikepike Member

    @HostDoc said:
    Other than the spam and constant calls they make attempting to upsell you, they are not bad.

    Calling people for marketing without explicit permission is a crime.

  • @pike said:

    @HostDoc said:
    Other than the spam and constant calls they make attempting to upsell you, they are not bad.

    Calling people for marketing without explicit permission is a crime.

    I believe no one in the world has ever given "explicit" permission for this, besides maybe to prank them for clicks.

    At least I never wanted it, but it still happened to me.

  • hzrhzr Member

    HostDoc said: Other than the spam and constant calls they make attempting to upsell you, they are not bad.

    pike said: Calling people for marketing without explicit permission is a crime.

    1&1 suspended my domain for invalid contact information after I blocked their marketing and spam calls

  • @HostDoc said:
    Other than the spam and constant calls they make attempting to upsell you, they are not bad.

    When I registered a domain with 1&1 back in 2013 (see my comment above), they called me one time, asking whether I needed hosting, and I politely answered that I already had hosting. They then never called again (I transferred out the domain before the end of the first year).

    I think that they're okay as a domain registrar -- they're not as bad as some people around here pretend. Your domain will be safe with them, and you can transfer it out unproblematically.

    "[...] the Linux philosophy is 'laugh in the face of danger'. Oops. Wrong one. 'Do it yourself'. That's it." (L. Torvalds)

  • @hostnoob said:
    It's hard to find prices, but renewal is coming up for my .com domain, and according to domcomp.com godaddy offers $1 .com transfers

    I can't actually find any prices on the site for transfers though, but if it is $1 is it worth transferring to 1&1 and then transferring away when possible?

    I did this long ago. There are no problems. However they do keep your phone number where you will get called occasionally.

    Looking to add some Black Friday specials under 20 euro year. PM me.
    Affiliate links: Cloudcone Virmach

  • @hostnoob said:
    It's hard to find prices, but renewal is coming up for my .com domain, and according to domcomp.com godaddy offers $1 .com transfers

    I can't actually find any prices on the site for transfers though, but if it is $1 is it worth transferring to 1&1 and then transferring away when possible?

    In my experience, domcomp.com contains some errors, especially in the transfer prices, so don't believe it until you see the price confirmed on the registrar's page.

    "[...] the Linux philosophy is 'laugh in the face of danger'. Oops. Wrong one. 'Do it yourself'. That's it." (L. Torvalds)

  • no problem transferring those $1 domains out, just call the kundenverarsche

    Thanked by 1pike

    CEO, CTO, Technician, Network Specialist, Tech Support, Janitor @ Spring Break Worldwide Networks (Delaware) LLP, a subsidiary of Oversold Craphost Shelf Company (UK) LLC and Scriptkiddie International Telecommunications Pty Ltd (India)

  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Provider

    @angstrom said:

    @HostDoc said:
    Other than the spam and constant calls they make attempting to upsell you, they are not bad.

    When I registered a domain with 1&1 back in 2013 (see my comment above), they called me one time, asking whether I needed hosting, and I politely answered that I already had hosting. They then never called again (I transferred out the domain before the end of the first year).

    I think that they're okay as a domain registrar -- they're not as bad as some people around here pretend. Your domain will be safe with them, and you can transfer it out unproblematically.

    They don’t do transfer out fee any more ? I vaguely remember, years ago, having a fight with them in the name of a Customer when they refused to release the transfer codes for one of the National TLDs without a fee being paid upfront.

    Clouvider Leading UK Cloud Hosting solution provider || UK Dedicated Servers Sale || Tasty KVM Slices || Latest LET Offer

    Web hosting in Cloud | SSD & SAS True Cloud VPS on OnApp | Private Cloud | Dedicated Servers | Colocation | Managed Services

  • @Clouvider said:

    @angstrom said:

    @HostDoc said:
    Other than the spam and constant calls they make attempting to upsell you, they are not bad.

    When I registered a domain with 1&1 back in 2013 (see my comment above), they called me one time, asking whether I needed hosting, and I politely answered that I already had hosting. They then never called again (I transferred out the domain before the end of the first year).

    I think that they're okay as a domain registrar -- they're not as bad as some people around here pretend. Your domain will be safe with them, and you can transfer it out unproblematically.

    They don’t do transfer out fee any more ? I vaguely remember, years ago, having a fight with them in the name of a Customer when they refused to release the transfer codes for one of the National TLDs without a fee being paid upfront.

    Not sure what you heard. The port out information was entirely in the control panel. Could transfer straight to godaddy in less than a minute with the authorization/secret code.

    Thanked by 1pike

    Looking to add some Black Friday specials under 20 euro year. PM me.
    Affiliate links: Cloudcone Virmach

  • @Clouvider said:

    @angstrom said:

    @HostDoc said:
    Other than the spam and constant calls they make attempting to upsell you, they are not bad.

    When I registered a domain with 1&1 back in 2013 (see my comment above), they called me one time, asking whether I needed hosting, and I politely answered that I already had hosting. They then never called again (I transferred out the domain before the end of the first year).

    I think that they're okay as a domain registrar -- they're not as bad as some people around here pretend. Your domain will be safe with them, and you can transfer it out unproblematically.

    They don’t do transfer out fee any more ? I vaguely remember, years ago, having a fight with them in the name of a Customer when they refused to release the transfer codes for one of the National TLDs without a fee being paid upfront.

    I had a .org domain with them. There was no transfer-out fee.

    Thanked by 2Clouvider pike

    "[...] the Linux philosophy is 'laugh in the face of danger'. Oops. Wrong one. 'Do it yourself'. That's it." (L. Torvalds)

  • Clouvider said: They don’t do transfer out fee any more ? I vaguely remember, years ago, having a fight with them in the name of a Customer when they refused to release the transfer codes for one of the National TLDs without a fee being paid upfront.

    Had exactly this same issue nearly 20 years ago, absolute nightmare at the time; had one of the cheapies recently and had no issue/charge transferring away.

Sign In or Register to comment.