Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone interested in VPS with terrible latency but powerful DDoS protection?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anyone interested in VPS with terrible latency but powerful DDoS protection?

randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

Got a ton of capacity on our DDoS protected route in Hong Kong. Mitigation is done in Europe + Russia, so latency may be higher than average, depending on where you are, but otherwise should provide pretty typical performance with very powerful DDoS protection.

The mitigation provider is DDoS Guard.

Anyone interested in HK based DDoS protected servers at subsidised rates?

Would be able to do VPS and Dedicated Servers, though I imagine VPS is the only one that would make sense.

Long term, the idea would be to get the volume large enough that it would be economical to get local mitigation, which would significantly reduce latency.

Not expecting much interest, but just thought I'd ask any way.

Also, the end is not nigh.

Thanked by 1Mxl

Comments

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Well, that's what OVH did, when SG got hit by DDOS, routed over BHS and the latency turned to shit, the customers where pissed.

So I guess, the rate will be quite low.
    300ms+ latency does not open much use cases.

Thanked by 1dfmcvn
  • what services can make money on from high latency that requires ddos protection? Perhaps you can provide a use case.

• I'd am interested

Thanked by 1randvegeta
  • for as cheap as $4/year, I'd take it.

• I'm interested

Thanked by 1randvegeta
  • @creep said:
    for as cheap as $4/year, I'd take it.

#MeToo

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

@smile said:
    what services can make money on from high latency that requires ddos protection? Perhaps you can provide a use case.

Most websites don't need to have low latency to their clients. 100ms, 300ms, very little difference for regular browsing.

I can think of quite a few use cases but I don't really want such sites :). The biggest issue with HK is that prices are higher than USA, and without the performance advantage, it's just more expensive and not any better performance wise. Hense we would be selling at be willing to sell at below cost for a limited run to make it more competitive.

@hzr said:
    I'd am interested

@Joeyl said:
    I'm interested

I was thinking about keeping the smallest plan within LET pricing. Less than standard Lithuania VPSBit.com prices. How does that sound? Xen or KVM, not vz.

@creep said:

@Chuck said:

@creep said:

#MeToo

Not even remotely possible sadly. The IPs alone would cost 3x as much. NAT also makes no sense...

• Question: How does this have any advantage over having a server literally anywhere else, with good local anti-ddos?

• pullangcubopullangcubo Member
    edited September 2018

Are you able to post a test IP, just so we can test (how terrible is the) latency?

• If it's routed through EU and RU, why not put the server there too? Hosting in HK is way expensive, I thought.

@teamacc said:
    Question: How does this have any advantage over having a server literally anywhere else, with good local anti-ddos?

Truthfully... it doesnt. The protection itself is very powerful, but there will otherwise be no performance advantage. Though we can make the price reasonably competitive.

We already sell the same DDoS protected service in Lithuania, only without the performance hit as we dont need to route traffic across the world. So we would need to price is lower to make up for the increase in latency. More than 50% less is what I expect.

edited September 2018

@pullangcubo said:
    Are you able to post a test IP, just so we can test (how terrible is the) latency?

Sure. 45.123.188.65 (www.vpsbit.com).

@willie said:
    If it's routed through EU and RU, why not put the server there too? Hosting in HK is way expensive, I thought.

We already do. But the point is we have some capacity in HK that sits idle most of the time. The LT one is chugging along nicely.

HK is expensive, but the bandwidth is generally the biggest factor in service pricing out here. This would not be an issue on this limited run.

Thanked by 1pullangcubo
  • @randvegeta said:

@hzr said:
    I'd am interested

@Joeyl said:
    I'm interested

I was thinking about keeping the smallest plan within LET pricing. Less than standard Lithuania VPSBit.com prices. How does that sound? Xen or KVM, not vz.

@creep said:

@Chuck said:

@creep said:

#MeToo

Not even remotely possible sadly. The IPs alone would cost 3x as much. NAT also makes no sense...

for high latency it makes sense. I don't even mind a 60s latency.

• MGarbisMGarbis Member
    edited September 2018

Although latency is high mdev is quite small.

Amsterdam
    --- vpsbit.com ping statistics ---
    9 packets transmitted, 9 received, 0% packet loss, time 8007ms
    rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 291.251/291.548/291.807/0.179 ms

London
    9 packets transmitted, 9 received, 0% packet loss, time 8006ms
    rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 302.607/302.926/303.303/0.782 ms

Helsinki
    10 packets transmitted, 10 received, 0% packet loss, time 9009ms
    rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 313.175/313.566/314.209/0.597 ms

MGarbis said: Although latency is high mdev is quite small.

Sure. Why would it not be? The line is pretty stable.

We can probably improve latency and performance by using betting outbound routes. Particularly for UDP packets. But the inbound traffic all routes via EU/RU, so the latency will be a minimum of 200MS. Actually at the moment, the best performance will be seen in Russia with the lowest latency. We could match it in HK if we adjusted the routing.

creep said: for high latency it makes sense. I don't even mind a 60s latency.

LOL. I first read that as 60ms... 60s is insane. Is there anything that can work with 60s latency?

Sadly our DDoS protection is IPv4 only, which on that basis alone makes it too costly. But even if it weren't an issue, the only way to do a VPS for $4 /year profitably (or at least break even) is to :

• Give tiny spec (128MB RAM?)
    • Crappy Disk I/O (10MB/s?)
    • Run on OpenVZ to reduce overheads

Not interested in that. Really only interested in doing KVM or Xen based VMs.

• @randvegeta said:

MGarbis said: Although latency is high mdev is quite small.

Sure. Why would it not be? The line is pretty stable.

That's what I meant. The line is good and usable if latency doesn't matter. Some times long distances comes with high mdev. Just wanted to do a quick test and let people know the results. Nothing bad for you. :blush:

Thanked by 1randvegeta
  • why not sell your HK capacities without DDOS for cheap? shouldn't this save cost and latency?

Falzo said: why not sell your HK capacities without DDOS for cheap? shouldn't this save cost and latency?

Technically possible, but kind of defeats the purpose. The traffic is routed on 2 dedicated lines specifically for the DDoS protection. I cannot put anything on these lines that would bypass the protection as that would compromise the protection itself.

So I would need to use completely separate lines, which, though technically possible, would still leave us with a big chunk of unused capacity.

We have in HK what we call 'Economy route', which is basically the low cost bandwidth that helps to provide low cost VPS and Dedicated Servers. Though it cost us significantly more for the DDoS protection, we would be pricing the service slightly below the price of our 'Economy route'.

I should point out that our DDoS Protected network is something we will pay for regardless of whether or not we actually use it. It's a kind of insurance. Just an alternative route to guarantee availability, even at the expense of performance. Better to be up and 'slow' (but stable) than completely down. So we have this resource that goes unused for most of the time.