Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best VPS for Plex Media
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Best VPS for Plex Media

Hello there.

Im looking for the best cost/benefit for hosting a Plex Media Server and data (video/audio)
And i need something starting with 5tb of space.

Can someone help me with that ?

Thanks!!

Comments

• Get yourself a dedi.

Thanked by 2mfs arda
  • AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep

If you are looking for 5TB of usable space, i would go the dedicated route. If you have 5TB of movies/content for plex, i really think dedicated is the route to go.

A

• armandorgarmandorg Member, Host Rep

I would suggest going for a dedi aswell instead.

• I currently have a setup where my storage is on google drive (unlimited storage for $10 a month gsuite account), and a $5 a month VPS for running the PMS. It works great but that's because I have a nvidia shield and libreelec (kodi) clients and they can direct play everything. The VPS works great for direct play/stream everything but it is not powerful enough to transcode no more than one 1080p stream but for my needs $15 a month is pretty good.

• I use a cheap vz from a provider with fuse enabled and then sshfs to my storage dedi

• @dahartigan said:
    I use a cheap vz from a provider with fuse enabled and then sshfs to my storage dedi

You monster.

• If you go by @dahartigan's recommendation, Wishosting's KVM SSD Plus LA might be a good Plex server VPS with its 4 "unlimited" CPU cores and 8TB data transfer, although it only have 250Mbps of bandwidth.

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited September 2018

@pullangcubo said:
    If you go by @dahartigan's recommendation, Wishosting's KVM SSD Plus LA might be a good Plex server VPS with its 4 "unlimited" CPU cores and 8TB data transfer, although it only have 250Mbps of bandwidth.

Now I know why the load average is 25.0 on my wishosting VPS. They don't seem to care even if people mine XMR on their node. Probly full of Plex servers too.. Just buy a dedi mate.

• I use an auction server from Hetzner (about £25/m) coupled with GSuite for storage (£5.30/m with discount). Currently at 20TB of content with about 5 - 10 people using the server at all times. No problems whatsoever :smile:

• @Wolveix said:
    I use an auction server from Hetzner (about £25/m) coupled with GSuite for storage (£5.30/m with discount). Currently at 20TB of content with about 5 - 10 people using the server at all times. No problems whatsoever :smile:

How do you handle dmca notices from hetzner ?

• @Wolveix said:
    I use an auction server from Hetzner (about £25/m) coupled with GSuite for storage (£5.30/m with discount). Currently at 20TB of content with about 5 - 10 people using the server at all times. No problems whatsoever :smile:

The hetzner box can setup gsuite drive for storage?

• What's wrong with plex cloud with Google drive ?

• zkyezzkyez Member
    edited September 2018

@sagarvai said:

@Wolveix said:

How do you handle dmca notices from hetzner ?

If you use private trackers you won't get any dmca notices.

Thanked by 3Wolveix sagarvai arda
  • WolveixWolveix Member
    edited September 2018

@sagarvai Use private trackers and a VPN like Private Internet Access.

@plumberg Any server can, just install and configure Plex Drive.

@yokowasis Plex Cloud is great, but not on all devices. I use it as a backup rather than a primary server. It's great on devices like a PC, Roku or Shield, but for example on an Xbone a film will often just stop half way through. It's not awful, but it's not ideal either.

Thanked by 2plumberg sagarvai
  • If you want a single server route, you want dedi. And you need a cpu at least as strong as a ks-3c (ks-10) equivalent for Plex if you'll do transcoding.

I'd possibly go for either Kimsufi + Gdrive deal (because you need 5TB), or with SoYouStart or Hetzner route again because of the Storage. I'm happy with my ks-3c (ks-10) Plex server.

• better get vps with ssd. No difference in using SSD VPS or dedicated server. VPS is better in my view as it can be customized and backed up. good luck.