Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

mycustomhosting.net outage
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

mycustomhosting.net outage

Woke up this morning with an alert from my monitoring system saying my VPS with MCH went down last night around 2:45am EST.

Its been about 8 hours, so far I'm unable to reach the VPS and I'm not able to reach either the main website or the billing panel. I'm only getting messages from cloudflare saying host error.

Anyone else seeing the same thing?

Thanked by 1Janevski

Comments

• Yes, cant access website. Shared still online though.

• Just noticed now that my VPS in BHS is unreachable. So is MCH website. Let's see if @MCHPhil is on the case.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Raid 0 strikes again.

Thanked by 2vovler maverickp
  • Another RAID0 failure ? He's been upfront about the lack of redundancy for quite some time now so I don't feel bad for anyone.

Thanked by 1Sofia_K
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

Zero means the end.

• I'm fully aware of MCH setup, as you said Phil is upfront about the way he runs things. I can count the outages/downtime on one hand in (nearly) 5 years with them. I can deal with that.

• shallownorthdakota said: I'm fully aware of MCH setup, as you said Phil is upfront about the way he runs things. I can count the outages/downtime on one hand in (nearly) 5 years with them. I can deal with that.

well said @shallownorthdakota. People make a big deal about the RAID0, but I have had as much, or more downtime/lost data from providers using RAID10, RAID50, CEPH then I have with Phil.
    I expect we will hear whats going on shortly.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

I guess we are going to see a lot of " I know its raid 0 but " comments now.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

I know its raid 0 but I knew that and was aware of the risk.

• FrankZFrankZ Veteran
    edited September 2018

I know its raid 0 but, I must resist to comment [edit].

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited September 2018

I know its raid 0 but I am losing thousands here.

Thanked by 1Shazan
  • hostdarehostdare Member, Patron Provider
    edited September 2018

why everybody losses millions immediately here than those guys who spend hundred thousands on google or amzon clouds

• @Lee said:

Only thousands?

• jetchirag said: Only thousands?

Well, that's just today, if it's still down tomorrow it will be at least tens of thousands and a lawsuit.

• @Lee said:

Billions here. I'm ready to file a lawsuit

• CFarence said: Woke up this morning

Are you born under a bad sign with a blue moon in your eyes?

• IonSwitch_StanIonSwitch_Stan Member, Host Rep

but I have had as much, or more downtime/lost data from providers using RAID10, RAID50, CEPH then I have with Phil.

The number of RAID failures that we hear about seem rather high, and often without details. The easiest way to sustain a RAID failure is to lie and not really have raid. The second is to not monitor your array. The third is administrative mistakes.

When we started up, we had a series of bad ssd’s that we purchased new. Two out of 10 failed. Exceedingly rare for SSD’s to fail in my experience, so we replaced all 10 with newer model disks . Had we not been monitoring, all 10 might have impacted multiple hosts.

I wonder how many folks are being upfront about their actual failure root cause.

• Still down... ^_^

• is it a fact or just assumption that its a raid0 issue? prob just packed shop as profit isnt much?

• black84black84 Member
    edited September 2018

I'm preparing rain suit now... ^_^

A bad thing happen there @MCHPhil?

• Online now... Everything fine...

Thanks @MCHPhil ^_^

• It would be nice to know what happened, but probably not a failure of RAID 0 after all ...

• @angstrom said:
    It would be nice to know what happened, but probably not a failure of RAID 0 after all ...

At least the system came back up with no data loss. It looks like the VPS never restarted, so probably network related.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited September 2018

Could be, that he does not like such kind of drama LET posts and stays away.

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

From email that went out earlier:

After recent issues, we are rolling out an offsite (AWS hosted) status page for My Custom Hosting. This will be the best point of contact between you and me if there is an outage or any maintenance planned.

The URL is https://status.mycustomhosting.net/

(Information related to the prior VPS outage is on site!)

And:

CA-VPS6 + CA-VPS8 were disabled by OVH in error. I had requested two spare servers canceled and had to go through support. This was not completed in time and when they tried to auto debit my account for renewals instead hit the account for everything and were denied. I was out traveling for the holidays and when I was able to get in touch they were able to correct the issue within a few hours. I apologize for the trouble.

https://status.mycustomhosting.net/incident/1

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • Down again... ^_^

• @zafouhar said:

@Lee said:

I think you're not joking.

Thanked by 1AnthonySmith
  • @adroitssd said:

@zafouhar said:

@Lee said:

I'm not!!!! I already filled 10 gazillion class action lawsuit for a total of 4.56 billion dollars.

• Pretty hard to believe when there's only 1.2 gazillion people on Earth.

• @zafouhar said:

@adroitssd said:

@zafouhar said:

@Lee said:

I'm not!!!! I already filled 10 gazillion class action lawsuit for a total of 4.56 billion dollars.

Don't forget to update us the lawsuit result!