Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for Ideas for programmable device with monitor screen
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for Ideas for programmable device with monitor screen

Hey,

I'm looking at some options to setup a monitor screen which I can mount right above my main desk. I want it to be totally programmable or something like linux where I can make my own GUI which can be connected to internet.

My goal is to use it as notification system, display some graphs, ability to control with remote or something to switch information. I'm thinking of something like raspberry pi but I don't have much experience with that so looking at experienced advice :)

Don't need the system to be powerful but I'd prefer a 12+ inch screen but can do with 10 inch so need controller accordingly.

Thanks <3

Comments

• What make you afraid with raspi? it's easiest SBC with lot community out there, or if you are looking x86 based system there is intel nuc, intel compute stick, and even cheap chuwi windows tablet so you don't need to add an LCD monitor.

• @jetchirag said:
    Hey,

I'm looking at some options to setup a monitor screen which I can mount right above my main desk. I want it to be totally programmable or something like linux where I can make my own GUI which can be connected to internet.

The most common hardware used for this use-case is an iPad or Android tablet. I see this often as conference room controllers, sign-in kiosks, mobile POS, temp controllers, status readouts, etc.

It's generally the most cost-effective solution for whatever software you are developing. And you can develop whatever GUI you want or customize using existing frameworks.

• jetchiragjetchirag Member
    edited September 2018

Thanks @brian777 and @birchbeer, I looked at few tablets within the price I'd like this setup to complete. I'm not quite sure if I can keep them powered up 24x7. Rpi3 seems interesting as I get to play a little although I've never developed a software for linux, might just use browser.

Plus, this isn't for anything serious but for fun of it.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @jetchirag said:
    Thanks @brian777 and @birchbeer, I looked at few tablets within the price I'd like this setup to complete. I'm not quite sure if I can keep them powered up 24x7. Rpi3 seems interesting as I get to play a little although I've never developed a software for linux, I might just use browser.

Plus, this isn't for anything serious but for fun of it.

Keeping them powered 24x7 isn't really an issue. Many of these devices should be capable of running 24x7 without problem. I personally wouldn't use a rpi3 unless you want to just play with the hardware because once you add the cost of the monitor, it would probably be simpler to get a Android tablet.

It really depends on what your skill-level is - the way that I would approach a project like this is to develop an application (probably using React with Node.js) and build a web app. A web-app is usually how something like this would be built since it wouldn't be hardware dependent vs developing a thick client (although - you could develop a Java app which could run on those platforms.)

A more interesting way that you got me thinking if I was inclined to play around with different hardware platforms is to get a decent digital photo frame and replace the OS and install my own app. I suspect that many of the digital photo frames out there are ARM based and can run Linux.

Thanked by 1jetchirag
  • birchbeer said: Keeping them powered 24x7 isn't really an issue. Many of these devices should be capable of running 24x7 without problem. I personally wouldn't use a rpi3 unless you want to just play with the hardware because once you add the cost of the monitor, it would probably be simpler to get a Android tablet.

Price for a cheap tablet and rpi3b with a decent small monitor and some accessories doesn't look much different. So, while android tablet would be simpler to setup, pi3 shouldn't be much issue too.

It really depends on what your skill-level is - the way that I would approach a project like this is to develop an application (probably using React with Node.js) and build a web app. A web-app is usually how something like this would be built since it wouldn't be hardware dependent vs developing a thick client (although - you could develop a Java app which could run on those platforms.)

Yup, that's what I meant.

jetchirag said: I've never developed a software for linux, might just use browser.

And, getting a digital frame to run linux sounds too much trouble.

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited September 2018

An Allwinner H3 Device running H3Droid that dual boots Armbian, in the case you need a Linux desktop? Could surely do what you are wanting. Probably the best choice would be the Orange Pi Plus 2E, if it is in your budget.

To note, you would still need to provide your own screen or buy a screen/LCD.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

• I will stay out of orangepi if it used for any GUI / Head system, especially if this is my first time or i want spend my money as worth as possible.

While orangepi cheaper,and hardware seems more powerful at first sight.
    Its sdk & official support is nil to abysmal at best.

Its true that nowadays its have good comunity support, but if you can afford rpi instead opi, take rpi,its worth,you good

• Just go for cheap android tablet with 10-12" inches and reload different OS if there's a need. Touch screen add on for pi will cost you more than typical cheap android tablet.

Thanked by 1inklight
  • @MeMyselfandLinux said:
    I will stay out of orangepi if it used for any GUI / Head system, especially if this is my first time or i want spend my money as worth as possible.

Mine seems to like to lockup a fair bit as well (Pi plus)