Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My Provider's 8 CPU is hitting 11 CPUs, is it time to move?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

My Provider's 8 CPU is hitting 11 CPUs, is it time to move?

Sofia_KSofia_K Member
edited August 2018 in General

I'm on a reseller host (WHM/cPanel) on a 8 CPU node. It's constantly hitting 10 or 11+ CPUs for 15 minutes average, 10, and 5.

Is it time to move?

Comments

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Yeah, move.

Thanked by 1Sofia_K
  • @deank said:
    Yeah, move.

I don't know about that, sometimes it's not that bad (My BuyShared node I am on has way higher load than CPU cores but doesn't actually lag oddly).

edited August 2018

He wants a divorce. Dragging a broken marriage is a curse.

End it before it gets worse.

Thanked by 1hostdare
  • Sofia_KSofia_K Member
    edited August 2018

I'm with buyshared too, they've 32 cores and max utilization I've seen is about 12 or 15 during peak times. But my other provider has 8 cores and its hitting 10+ always.

on both hosts, my cpanel is allotted 1 core though I don't hit it.

• @deank said:
    He wants a divorce. Dragging a broken marriage is a curse.

End it before it gets worse.

correction: "She" :)

edited August 2018

No, females don't exist on LET. Everyone is a male here and 50% of them are gay.

Thanked by 2feezioxiii hostdare
  • williewillie Member
    edited August 2018

Sofia_K said: Is it time to move?

Nah, not unless you see a slowdown in practice, serving your pages. That number is called the load average and if it's about equal to the number of cpu threads, you are fine. It is basically the number of tasks that want to use a cpu at a given time, so if the numbers are equal it means there is exactly enough cpu to satisfy everyone, a well balanced setup.

If it's much higher a lot of the time, then there is cpu contention (so your computations go slower than they would on an unloaded machine) but you are probably still fine since you're probably not cpu-bound (you don't care if your 1 millisecond calculation ends up taking 2 milliseconds). If it's much lower, you're paying someone to run an underutilized box.

If the host is any good they will monitor the load average and intervene if things slow down too much. So they probably have it about where they want it.

In other words go by your actual user experience retrieving pages, rather than internal server numbers.

• hostdarehostdare Member, Patron Provider

deank said: Everyone is a male here and 50% of them are gay.

99% female name is fake name here with a stick in front

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited August 2018

@willie said:

Nah, not unless you see a slowdown in practice, serving your pages. That number is called the load average and if it's about equal to the number of cpu threads, you are fine. It is basically the number of tasks that want to use a cpu at a given time, so if the numbers are equal it means there is exactly enough cpu to satisfy everyone, a well balanced setup. If it's much higher a lot of the time, then there is cpu contention (so your computations go slower than they would on an unloaded machine) but you are probably still fine since you're probably not cpu-bound (you don't care if your 1 millisecond calculation ends up taking 2 milliseconds). If it's much lower, you're paying someone to run an underutilized box.

I second that.

Is your web stuff really and actually slow, @Sofia_K? That's the relevant question, not some number.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@hostdare said:

That's a damn lie!!!

regards, naked hot Sharon

• @willie said:

Nah, not unless you see a slowdown in practice, serving your pages. That number is called the load average and if it's about equal to the number of cpu threads, you are fine. It is basically the number of tasks that want to use a cpu at a given time, so if the numbers are equal it means there is exactly enough cpu to satisfy everyone, a well balanced setup.

If it's much higher a lot of the time, then there is cpu contention (so your computations go slower than they would on an unloaded machine) but you are probably still fine since you're probably not cpu-bound (you don't care if your 1 millisecond calculation ends up taking 2 milliseconds). If it's much lower, you're paying someone to run an underutilized box.

If the host is any good they will monitor the load average and intervene if things slow down too much. So they probably have it about where they want it.

In other words go by your actual user experience retrieving pages, rather than internal server numbers.

My actual user-experience is fast-loading wordpress pages. I've a site about 10K pages and it load fast with litespeed + lscache + opcode their.

• Sofia_KSofia_K Member
    edited August 2018

@jsg said:
    Is your web stuff really and actually slow, @Sofia_K? That's the relevant question, not some number.

Nopes its not slow at 10 or 11 CPU usage. I was wondering if its unmonitored and then the node usage peaks 20-25 (like on w00t i had 8 CPU and load was 60 lol) I'll have to move.

• @hostdare said:

haha. I'll change the username to Sofia_with_Stick, or may be "S" in Stick replace with "D" :P

• On buyshared right now I see:

21:44:04 up 21 days,  7:17,  1 user,  load average: 19.31, 23.18, 25.15

Works fine.

• @willie said:
    On buyshared right now I see:

21:44:04 up 21 days,  7:17,  1 user,  load average: 19.31, 23.18, 25.15

Works fine.

yup. they've 32 core CPU, so anything below that will always be fine.

• Sofia_K said: yup. they've 32 core CPU, so anything below that will always be fine.

Really I wouldn't worry unless it's considerably above 2x a lot of the time. Can I ask your application? User page view slowdowns are usually from network delays, iops, bad databse queries, too much crap in the downloaded page, etc., rather than cpu per se. CPUs nowadays are crazy fast. An extra millisecond of cpu wait will not affect the user who is waiting 100s of msec for a page full of javascript bloat to finish loading.

• @Sofia_K said:

@hostdare said:

haha. I'll change the username to Sofia_with_Stick, or may be "S" in Stick replace with "D" :P

Dtick?

Thanked by 2MasonR Falzo
  • Oh.. It meant "St" with "D"

Thanked by 1torrbox