Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OpenVPN Alternatives?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OpenVPN Alternatives?

Hi,

Are there any OpenVPN alternatives out there? I'm looking for one that doesn't require a client to connect. For example, I want to be able to connect to it with Windows's built-in VPN connection system.

Looking to host it on Ubuntu x64 12.04

Thanks.

Comments

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

You can use pptp or IPSec. Those are included in windows, you could also use a HTTP proxy, does not need a client to connect, but you need to modify the browser's way to connect to the net or you can keep a separate browser for proxied surfing.

• @Maounique said:
    You can use pptp or IPSec. Those are included in windows, you could also use a HTTP proxy, does not need a client to connect, but you need to modify the browser's way to connect to the net or you can keep a separate browser for proxied surfing.

Thank you for your suggestion. I will have a look at PPTP.

• Hello,

It is worth noting that Windows 8.1 Pro will support four (4) new types of Virtual Private Network right out of the box, and support connecting automatically before the login screen (whereas other versions had to click the "VPN" key icon to login first.)