Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for folder syncing application.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for folder syncing application.

What I'm looking for is an essentially "self hosted" dropbox that automatically syncs a folder on my Ubuntu server (at Scaleway) with a folder on my Windows computer.

Things that I've looked at:

SMB/Samba (very hard to setup, especially since it is not on a LAN, don't want to deal with constant security problems)

Owncloud/Nextcloud/Pydio/Seafile (I don't want a web GUI.)

Sparklesync (closest to what I want, but the app for windows is outdated).

Does anyone know of a piece of software that can help with this?

Comments

• NyaNya Member

syncthing

• @Nya said:
    syncthing

Probably a dumb question, but is it possible to not use relays and instead use direct client-server?

• NyaNya Member

@ehhthing said:

@Nya said:
    syncthing

Probably a dumb question, but is it possible to not use relays and instead use direct client-server?

If you have public IP, it will try direct connect first.

• Try rsync with cronjob.

• I'd look at seafile again, the drive bit is quite handy if working on a machine with little local storage.

otherwise syncthing or resilo

• Owncloud/Nextcloud/Pydio/Seafile (I don't want a web GUI.)

I use Nextcloud to sync files from a server to PC. You just need to add a cron job to refresh the files on the server every minute.

Even better is that you can set up Nextcloud on a different server and add the folder on the other server as a SSH/SFTP connection, which I use to sync many files from many servers.

• Rclone with cron task

• @dfmcvn said:
    Try rsync with cronjob.

Yeah, exactly. Why reinvent the wheel?

• oneilonlineoneilonline Member, Host Rep

rsync/cronjob has been my go to for over 10 years.

Owncloud would be the best Windows file sync. I'm not sure what web gui your talking about. Once you set it up, it runs on it's own. A Windows client auto syncs the files.

• Look at DeltaCopy (windows) and rsync (Ubuntu)

• @dfmcvn said:
    Try rsync with cronjob.

Doesn't that mean I will have to setup port forwarding? I need this to work when I am not at home.

• AlyssaDAlyssaD Member
    edited August 2018

syncthing, rsync, unison, scp, anycloud, owncloud, and a lot more.

• Syncthing or Seafile.

• Bookmarked