Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH VPS down since few days!!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH VPS down since few days!!

rEDrED Member

This is what I received in my email:

Our monitoring system has just been detected on your VPS vps123456.ovh.net.
The fault was noticed on 2018-08-24 07:01:00

Your VPS may function correctly,
though a few false positives may appear:
- following a reboot of the VPS with a fsck which
would be launched automatically, delaying the reboot
- on setting up firewall rules that block the
monitoring requests (xxx.xxx.xx.xx)

Been down since 2 days, tried contacting support but no reply yet(almost 1 day).

What should I do? Anything I can do from my end?

Comments

• Have you lost £thousands?

If not then I would wait for a reply from support.

Thanked by 1WebProject
  • afaik there is a rescue console for VPS, have you tried accessing it?

Thanked by 1snickerpop
  • When my server is down I just cancel it and order a new one. Do you have a backup?

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Use the console and see what error comes up when rebooting.

Usually running fsck solves most of issues. OVH won't help you. It's your problem.

• rEDrED Member

@torrbox said:
    When my server is down I just cancel it and order a new one. Do you have a backup?

Ah crap nope :(

I mean its not like very imp data or anything but its just gonna increase my work now!

If I get the server to reboot will I lose the app I have on there?

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • rEDrED Member

@deank said:
    Use the console and see what error comes up when rebooting.

Usually running fsck solves most of issues. OVH won't help you. It's your problem.

You mean OVH console? Cause putty isn't working since vps is down.

@rED said:

I just facepalmed myself.

• rEDrED Member

@deank said:

@rED said:

I just facepalmed myself.

lol I know I won't lose, just wanted to be sure. I am not much techie.

• You've been told to access the server via the console twice.
    Access the server via the console to check what's going on. :)

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

Have you tried to call support line?

• williewillie Member
    edited August 2018

Support is unlikely to do anything for you unless it's pretty clear that the problem is on OVH's side. They are unmanaged servers and you are supposed to take care of user-side issues yourself. That means using the console, trying to reboot and fsck in the obvious ways, etc. The last resort is a reinstall which will erase your data (but of course you have backups or you decided to take chances). If that doesn't work then it starts to sound more like a support issue.

It's also possible that you're simply not qualified to use this type of product. In that case you might look for a managed server or application-specific hosting, or maybe hire a sysadmin.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Or changing to a reliable provider?

• williewillie Member
    edited August 2018

Clouvider said: Or changing to a reliable provider?

There's nothing to suggest OVH has done something unreliable here. We have no idea how OP's server is configured, etc.

@willie said:

Clouvider said: Or changing to a reliable provider?

There's nothing to suggest OVH has done something unreliable here. We have no idea how OP's server is configured, etc.

I have a fist hand experience with OVH VPS and low uptime. Tried to host a statuspage on it in our early days. Uptime wasn’t even close to 99%.

• sangdoggsangdogg Member
    edited August 2018

Did you use an insane amount of traffic nonstop?
    They might silently suspend for a week. Only if you really behaved and if ovh suspend you because of that, there are no host company exist for you who would provide more traffic than ovh. Or you were using their service more than a twosome of years and it's time to replace the network interface circuit board.
    On that point is a way to login to the terminal console. You will discover it in the cloud menu. If the server doesn't have internet and no responses when you ping the wan, and so it's either one of two reasons I noted.

• Clouvider said: I have a fist hand experience with OVH VPS and low uptime. Tried to host a statuspage on it in our early days. Uptime wasn’t even close to 99%.

If you had one of the old crappy slabbed OVH VPS's that rebooted all the time, yeah we all know those were terrible. The newer ones are a lot more solid. I've had both. My review of the crappy one is here (you can see that the initial post was fairly positive, but issues came up later in the thread). I never had any issues with the newer one, but eventually cancelled because of the usual underutilization.

• xaocxaoc Member

@Clouvider said:

OVH might sue you for slander...

/s

Dunno which, whether it was new or old. Product was called VPS and was hoisted out of their FR Datacentres. I don’t normally go into the same river twice. Needed something off network, they proved to be a bad idea. Digital Ocean has the business since then, for years, with zero issues and the price is similar.

• rEDrED Member

@sangdogg said:
    Did you use an insane amount of traffic nonstop?
    They might silently suspend for a week. Only if you really behaved and if ovh suspend you because of that, there are no host company exist for you who would provide more traffic than ovh. Or you were using their service more than a twosome of years and it's time to replace the network interface circuit board.
    On that point is a way to login to the terminal console. You will discover it in the cloud menu. If the server doesn't have internet and no responses when you ping the wan, and so it's either one of two reasons I noted.

Insane traffic? Not even close, I've had this server for almost a year now I guess but haven't used it since a month or so, was totally sitting idle.

• rEDrED Member

Anyway I solved the issue and everything is fine now. No data is lost.

Started in rescue mode then rebooted.

Thanks all :)

• @rED said:

You are a NOVA! CONGRATS!

Thanked by 1rED
  • @rED said:

Wow that's so advanced pls teach me senpai!

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited August 2018

@Clouvider said:

You should mail that to your customers.. never trust your infra to a forum troll :P

/s

I don’t see OVH as a forum troll.

• Clouvider said: Digital Ocean has the business since then, for years, with zero issues and the price is similar.

I like DO for many reasons but they are quite a bit more expensive than comparable OVH stuff, especially taking DDOS protection into account.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • @Clouvider said:

I meant you.

• @stefeman said:

@Clouvider said:

I meant you.

He's not trolling. It's just him :smile:

• my current uptime on ovh vps is 894 days and it's very unlikely op's problem is ovh itself.

I am insulted. Somebody else was called a troll and not me.

I AM a troll.

• willballwillball Member
    edited August 2018

OVH? Support? pfffff
    Just say you pay a cup of coffee for someone who you don't know.

For OVH, if you think that I just say something bullshit, you may contact me, I have proof about your service.