Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

recommendation of pfsense hetzner
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

recommendation of pfsense hetzner

edited August 2018 in Help

hi all

i need some guidance on install pfsense. i have not used pfsense before

currently

1) 1 x hetzner dedicated server
2) 2 x addditional ip
3) 1 x ipv6/64

i wish to have 2 environments so i currently installed vmware esxi on the server (not sure if this is bad idea to begin with)

what i have done
1 x proxmox for me to test. if all is well i might not even need esxi
1 x windows 2016 that has vmware workstations with nested virtualization for me to run tests etc. this is ongoing so if need be i can run it inside proxmox?

im now stuck. how and where do i install pfsense ? i want to be able to

use multiple vms on proxmox and host different apps which might need direct port 80 etc.
windows 2016(vmware workstation) for me to run some personal apps

i am happy to destroy everything and start again. but please guide me guys.

Comments

• @elliotwilliams said:
    hi all

i need some guidance on install pfsense. i have not used pfsense before

currently

1) 1 x hetzner dedicated server
    2) 2 x addditional ip
    3) 1 x ipv6/64

i wish to have 2 environments so i currently installed vmware esxi on the server (not sure if this is bad idea to begin with)

what i have done
    1 x proxmox for me to test. if all is well i might not even need esxi
    1 x windows 2016 that has vmware workstations with nested virtualization for me to run tests etc. this is ongoing so if need be i can run it inside proxmox?

im now stuck. how and where do i install pfsense ? i want to be able to

use multiple vms on proxmox and host different apps which might need direct port 80 etc.
    windows 2016(vmware workstation) for me to run some personal apps

i am happy to destroy everything and start again. but please guide me guys.

What exactly do you need from pfsense? Do you even know what pfsense is good for?

• to be frank i know that it is a good open source enterprise firewall. ive not personally touched it.

ive got my proxmox up and running. i will be setting up a vpn as well as utilizing my ipv6/64 . ... not sure how to configure the ipv6 but im sure i will figure out