Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Service Idea: Bandwidth Offloading/Transparent Proxy/Discount CloudFlare
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Service Idea: Bandwidth Offloading/Transparent Proxy/Discount CloudFlare

1. Get a good enough server with unlimited 1Gbit connection and SSD.
  2. Install Nginx.
  3. Create a basic web panel that will allow me to create a virtual host in your Nginx and set my server as origin. (The panel inspires trust into the project)
  4. Give me a temp URL that will proxy all my content and will cache it on your server for a long time.
  5. Allow custom CNAME.
  6. Take my money.

The cheapest CDN out there costs 0.04 per GB. With 40TB+ traffic that is not viable for me.
All I need is a single location with super cheap traffic for a personal website I have.

CloudFlare's free plan is excellent for this but as the bandwidth raises I am expecting them to notice me and ban me pretty soon.

Technically I want a CDN without the N. I want a Content Delivery Server with super cheap bandwidth in either EU or USA. One location is enough for me, do whatever you want to keep the costs down.

I know I can just buy a dedicated server for this job but I would prefer to use a service built and optimized for that only purpose.

Anyway, its just an idea. Let me know what you think.

Comments

• 0xdragon0xdragon Member
    edited October 2013

Edit: Nope.

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2013

While less than $0.04/GB is possible you arent going to find a location where you can push 40TB (and store a huge amount of files) for all that cheap. In that way cloudflare business is probably the cheapest as they do have an abundance of bandwidth and no specific limits.

Sure there are unlimited VPS's and servers, but most don't even guarantee 100mbit dedicated let alone the gbit that you would require to push this amount of traffic. And most unmetered VPS's for a few dollars are just really over sold. Even dedicated servers with unmetered connections usually include a "fair use" clause which can be as low as a 100-200mbit average (33-66TB out) at-least if they have decent "premium" peering. Not to mention the disk & CPU loading (if you are serving lots of small files or a file set that cant be cached in ram due to size).

On a side note, its very similar to a plain Reverse Proxy service from us (http://x4b.net), although we do not have 40TB Plans at this time and if you are pushing 40TB I am guessing its large files (which we do not cache at this time). Not that it would matter 40TB would come to greater than the cost of Cloudflare buisness ($200) most likely as we do not have the same ability to absorb the cost of the odd large client as they most likely do.

• DylanDylan Member
    edited October 2013

I've heard of people using 100TB on CloudFlare's free plan without issue, so I don't think you have anything to worry about. It's only DDoSes they generally suspend for.

edited October 2013

Just FYI, Cloudflare buisness or free would probably be the way to go.

I just did the maths on what a service of that kin would cost based on our services (and I can assume other service providers would have the same or less markup). These prices are for DDoS protected services, as at these bandwidth levels it really doesn't matter. Assumptions have been made that the processing requirements and overheads are roughly the same (would probably be more due to larger disk storage requirements, SSD's and cost of specialization etc).

16TB (largest plan) US1/US2 = $100
    3x16TB services = 48TB, $300

Cloudflare Business at $200/m seems like a steal to me (presuming its a single site, no TCP/UDP ports etc).

• @Dylan said:
    I've heard of people using 100TB on CloudFlare's free plan without issue, so I don't think you have anything to worry about. It's only DDoSes they generally suspend for.

According to him they said that 100TB would only be covered by the $3000/mo. Enterprise plan. If they even request half the money for my traffic I wont be able to keep using them.

Also the traffic is not generated by big files. A lot of small images.

@jimaek how many GB of cache zone do you need?

• @SplitIce said:
    jimaek how many GB of cache zone do you need?

I think about 30GB should be enough.

• 40TB =~ 130mbps outgoing (assumption).
    For 100M commit you're going to be looking at $1/mbps in terms of real bandwidth costs. Bandwidth alone you're looking at $130/month without factoring in server. On the low end of things, probably $0.50/mbps so $65/month for bidirectional 130mbps.

You're better off just buying a cheap dedicated from the usual places that give plenty of bandwidth and won't cap/kick. OVH/Hetzner/etc.

@jimaek Given that our current (per server) cache zone for DDoS protected services is 32GB cold (disk) and 1GB hot (ram) with each customer limited to 1GB (LRU clear) we would need to increase our internal allocations. It is possible but I would need to do some testing for the effect on the disks (iowait).

If you are unable to find a better offer and Cloudflare is unable to meet your needs for a suitable price I might be able to help.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

I have heard of couple people using 70TB+ on free cloudflare like the other said.

Could always change over later if needed

• @jimaek said:
    According to him they said that 100TB would only be covered by the $3000/mo.

"Him"?

@Zen TL;DR?

@jimaek said:

I know I can just buy a dedicated server for this job but I would prefer to use a service built and optimized for that only purpose.

• draziloxdrazilox Member
    edited October 2013

@jimaek said:
    The cheapest CDN out there costs 0.04 per GB. With 40TB+ traffic that is not viable for me.

Bandwidth from: €0.006 / GB
    https://www.ovh.ie/cloud/cdn/

It's not ready yet tho.

edit: oh, less than 10TB is €0.009, but that's still pretty damn cheap.

Yeah crazy low. OVH is going to cut alot of providers of CDN services out of the market I suspect. Its so close to cost that its not feasible for smaller providers to compete (on anything other than customer service, of which OVH has none).

• @Dylan said:
    "Him"?

The guy that used the 100TB.

@drazilox said:
    edit: oh, less than 10TB is €0.009, but that's still pretty damn cheap.

Can I use it if I am not from UK? For example they requested documents to valid that I am a UK resident when I tried to buy a dedi a long time ago.

• DylanDylan Member
    edited October 2013

@jimaek said:
    The guy that used the 100TB.

I am thoroughly confused. I didn't mention any specific person.

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

We are working on such project - it should be launched within next few weeks:

• 3 anycast locations (2 US and 1 EU, more will be added later),
    • DDoS protection up to 50Gbps per IP in all three locations (dedicated protection level per IP),
    • TCP load balancing (GRE support will be added soon),
    • dual stack (IPv4 and IPv6).

More details will be announced after public beta :)

• @Dylan said:
    I am thoroughly confused. I didn't mention any specific person.

http://phoboslab.org/log/2013/02/how-much-traffic-is-too-much-traffic-for-cloudflare

@gbshouse said:

• DDoS protection up to 50Gbps per IP in all three locations (dedicated protection level per IP),

Awesome, I would really like to participate in the Beta. Keep me posted

• @gbshouse said:

NL in Europe?

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

@jimaek - sure
    @serverian - yes

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

@gbshouse interesting, sounds cool.

• @gbshouse said:
    jimaek - sure
    serverian - yes

Sounds exciting!