Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oakley Capital (who own Plesk, SolusVM) to Invest in cPanel
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Comments

• deankdeank Member, Troll

The end as you know is coming.

Thanked by 2Tom Francisco
  • HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@deank said:
    The end as you know is coming.

0:49

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Thats a "woah" moment!

Oakley Capital to Invest in cPanel; Acquisition will accelerate the next phase of product development for cPanel
    August 20, 2018
    On August 20th, 2018, cPanel signed an agreement to be acquired by a group led by Oakley Capital (Oakley). The group also owns Plesk and SolusVM. This transaction will enable significant investment in new product and feature innovation and will support growth in headcount in Houston, Texas, USA where cPanel will continue to be headquartered.

Established in 1997 by CEO Nick Koston, cPanel provides one of the Internet infrastructure industry’s most reliable and intuitive web hosting automation software platforms. With its rich feature set and customer first support, the fully-automated hosting platform empowers infrastructure providers and gives customers the ability to administer every facet of their website using simple point-and-click software. Based in Houston, TX, cPanel employs over 220 team members and has customers in more than 70 countries.
    cPanel has developed an FAQ at https://go.cpanel.net/investmentfaq/ that it hopes answers many questions that typically arise following the announcement of a transaction.

“This investment reflects a great step forward for cPanel. Our team has developed software that contributes to the success of millions of websites operating globally and looks forward to continuing to do so with the same passion that you, our loyal customers have come to love. This investment will give Internet infrastructure providers access to a wider range of software, features and support. I am excited about what the future holds for the company and the great team at cPanel.” — Nick Koston, CEO

For further information please contact:
    cPanel, Inc.
    benny Vasquez, Manager of Community Engagement
    832-433-4005
    [email protected]

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

Oh yes, it's heart warming to see a monopoly grow in hosting. Just lovely. And no matter where I looked, the press release, the FAQ, the "community management" - happy marketing blurb everywhere.

Must be a great thing then.

• monopoly = happy CEO and top executives.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

I am guessing that soon will be one control for shared hosting - cPleskPanel and as usual old SolusVM 1.8 with new promise like “we will update it to v5 soon as pointless to work on v2!”

Thanked by 1dedicados
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

I'm quite surprised the original founder still had so much equity over the years.

• Was inevitable.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Was it?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I don't see a positive spin on it. Best scenario is that it continues down it's existing path, anything else seems bad to me. Great support, constant development, continual improvements. How could anyone improve on that?

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@jar said:
    I don't see a positive spin on it. Best scenario is that it continues down it's existing path, anything else seems bad to me. Great support, constant development, continual improvements. How could anyone improve on that?

It's written in Perl.

Trust me, it can be improved.

Francisco

• williewillie Member
    edited August 2018

cpanel is pretty impressive, not one of those products that could be knocked out in a couple weeks by a good developer or two. But 220 team members? What are they doing? Is the support good? Does it have a somewhat captive userbase like wordpress that can't easily switch to something else? Or is it time for LETpanel?

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@Francisco said:
    It's written in Perl.

Trust me, it can be improved.

That, yes!

Looking from a security perspective I'd say that Perl even trumps PHP and is about the most reliable way to create unsafe code and trouble.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

jsg said: is about the most reliable way to create unsafe code

On the plus side, no one can read it to find vulnerabilities ;)

• Do you guys think that shared hosting has any future? I think VPS is much better all around. Mainly considering security. The main thing that's going for Shared Hosting is ease of use and out of the box email configuration. For non-technical users VPS is just not an option. But if someone was to bring the ease of use of shared hosting to VPS, do you think it would take off to a new level?

simpleguy8288 said: Do you guys think that shared hosting has any future?

Shared is a good choice for people that don't want to deal with running a VPS. Be it a time constraint, be it a patience thing, etc.

I have lots of people that love to build VPS projects but got tired of maintaining it all for a couple blogs that only google visits.

Francisco

Thanked by 1Chuck
  • Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

@willie said:
    cpanel is pretty impressive, not one of those products that could be knocked out in a couple weeks by a good developer or two. But 220 team members? What are they doing? Is the support good? Does it have a somewhat captive userbase like wordpress that can't easily switch to something else? Or is it time for LETpanel?

Their support is pretty good

edited August 2018

Awmusic12635 said: Their support is pretty good

Yep, cPanel's supports pretty solid and they work hard.

You need to realize their queue is absolutely massive. The few times I talk ticket them I get notified that their queue is 60 - 100 tickets deep.

I'm assuming most of their tickets are almost always going to require at least some investigation and not a boiler plate reply.

Even still, that's a lot of power consolidated within the hosting industry. Given cPanel owns a large chunk of WHMCS, you're almost guaranteed to be paying something to the mega corp.

Francisco

• WHMCS I understand less. It doesn't seem anywhere near as complicated as cpanel. Does it really do stuff that Blesta etc. don't and that's difficult? Or does it just collect rent from a walled garden plugin ecosystem written mostly by other people?

• LeviLevi Member
    edited August 2018

Hm, cPanel as a company is not bad. At least their tech support is decent when you reach level 3 technicians.

• jar said: Great support, constant development, continual improvements. How could anyone improve on that?

By contributing to value-accretive growth by the way of dramatically increasing EBITDA through improvements in differentiated pricing tiers while strategically arbitraging "Support & Development Delivery Centres" with the opportunities presented by the 3rd world emerging markets.

These guys invested and flipped a host called Intergenia and bought some other providers. Has anybody heard anything about any of these companies?