Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mail Server Solution - Cpanel vs Iredmail ? Any better solution ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Mail Server Solution - Cpanel vs Iredmail ? Any better solution ?

nvidiannvidian Member
edited August 2018 in General

Hello,

My current setup is use a separate antispam proxy (scrollout F1) and a Plesk mail server. But I'm not happy with this split antispam + mail server solution, so I search for a new and better solution.

These are some important factors that I consider:

• Self-hosted solution
  • Great antispam & antivirus
  • Good email monitoring for inbound and outbound (how many email sent, received, spams, hams, how many mails sent marked as spam by recipient etc. per day per mailbox)
  • Not resource hungry (zimbra ?)
  • Good looking panel like Plesk Onyx
  • Mailbox storage quota validation, for example when a user has 10Gb of storage quota in Plesk service plan he then could create 5 mailbox @10Gb storage. This is happen in Plesk but I dont know if cpanel also has this weakness.

What I like about cPanel are:

What I dislike about cPanel are:

• I dont really like their design (Paperlantern) - at least for me, it really looks outdated. The minimalist Plesk Onyx design looks so much better and profesional.
  • They use Exim instead of Postfix which I have learn a bit

What makes me consider Iredmail PRO:

• Iredmail has been praised as a great mail solution by many LET members
  • Their support seems good if not very good, mr ZhangHuangbin seems a very knowledgeable guy
  • Support SOGO

I tried iredmail demo but have no clue why it could be better than cpanel when its only provide basic mail server solution (at least at the interface I saw at demo), maybe I need to go to command line to configure it . So I have some doubt, if Iredmail is so good why @Jarland choose cpanel for mxroute ? :)

I tried to install Modoboa and DirectAdmin demo, but really not sure if they are worth to be considered compared to cpanel/iredmail.

I'm basically just a web designer who want to give my clients some extras with a good mail solution, I may not have much expertise in mail server/antispam config yet but I want to learn.

Any advice and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• dedipromodedipromo Member
    edited August 2018

You may wanna consider Zimbra. Easy to use, great mail solution, and well documented.

EDIT: Oops, didn't see that Not Resource hungry like zimbra.

• @dedipromo said:
    You may wanna consider Zimbra. Easy to use, great mail solution, and well documented.

EDIT: Oops, didn't see that Not Resource hungry like zimbra.

1. Zimbra license is too expensive for me - I assume I cannot use their Community Edition as I want my client to be able to login to their own panel to create mailbox, aliases, etc
    2. Too resource hungry, too bloated with features that I dont need

But, thank you very much for your help

• mailinabox.email?

Thanked by 1mailinabox
  • angstromangstrom Moderator

Although there's some overlap in functionality (mail server management), I think that CPanel and iRedMail are really in two different comparison classes. CPanel is for general-purpose server management (including mail), whereas iRedMail is specialized for mail server management.

• ariq01ariq01 Member
    edited August 2018

+1 Iredmail for < 8gb ram and,,
    +1 zimbra for > 8gb ram

• Does mailcow have anything like the features wanted? It's free and has always sounded cool but I haven't used it. Some docs:

https://mailcow.github.io/mailcow-dockerized-docs/

• Mr_TomMr_Tom Member, Host Rep

I've used mailcow. It's very good, and although I run it on a 1gb RAM VPS (which it works on) I think it could do with a little bit more. I've got 2gb swap space on the VPS and it's usually using most of the RAM and about 1.5gb swap. I do have all antispam/antivirus features enabled though which will use resources.

• ma2tma2t Member

Would you consider https://poste.io ?
    They're using Roundcube for the webmail part and the admin interface is pretty clean.

• emghemgh Member

How good are the chances and how big are the risks of the mails you send not being in the recipies inbox when using self hosted mailing solutions?

• nvidiannvidian Member
    edited August 2018

@iqbal said:
    mailinabox.email?

Last time I checked (1-2 years ago) its too lite for my need. Dont forget that I need a panel which my client could login as "domain administrator" so they could setup mailbox, aliases etc

@angstrom said:
    Although there's some overlap in functionality (mail server management), I think that CPanel and iRedMail are really in two different comparison classes. CPanel is for general-purpose server management (including mail), whereas iRedMail is specialized for mail server management.

Yes, at first I also thought cpanel mail solution may not good enough for a bit serious mail server. But I was wrong, after search and doing some little research, cpanel has very good external plugins for email server like I pointed at my first post. I cannot even find mail management and monitoring interface with iredmail (but I only look at their demo).

@ariq01 said:
    +1 Iredmail for < 8gb ram and,,
    +1 zimbra for > 8gb ram

Again, Zimbra is too expensive and too bloated for a mail server.

@willie said:
    Does mailcow have anything like the features wanted? It's free and has always sounded cool but I haven't used it. Some docs:

https://mailcow.github.io/mailcow-dockerized-docs/

I will look at mailcow, especially it has rspamd and sogo (wow). Does it support 'domain administrator' login ?

@ma2t said:
    Would you consider https://poste.io ?
    They're using Roundcube for the webmail part and the admin interface is pretty clean.

Hello, I never heard it. But it really looks promising. The only main problem would be the MTA they used 'Haraka' which is unfamiliar for me. But I will surely take a look at poste.io. Thank you again.

@emgh said:
    How good are the chances and how big are the risks of the mails you send not being in the recipies inbox when using self hosted mailing solutions?

I have no big problem in deliverability. Setup rDNS, SPF, DKIM, register with outlook, make sure I got 10/10 at mail-tester.com - and for my more important client I silently setup smtp relay using Amazon SES (multiple smtp relay is easy with postfix).

Thanked by 1emgh
  • nvidian said: I will look at mailcow, especially it has rspamd and sogo (wow). Does it support 'domain administrator' login ?

Sure does. +1 for mailcow, definitely my favourite mail control panel. The creator hangs about here every so often too.

Thanked by 1nvidian
  • CrossBoxCrossBox Member, Patron Provider

CrossBox might be exactly what you're looking for.

It has full cPanel and Plesk support, but you can run a stand-alone version also.

If you're interested in giving it a try for free during the beta, PM us :)

• @CrossBox said:
    CrossBox might be exactly what you're looking for.

It has full cPanel and Plesk support, but you can run a stand-alone version also.

If you're interested in giving it a try for free during the beta, PM us :)

Hello Crossbox, yes I would like to try your demo. PM sent.

• +1 for mailcow too. i use it for a few domains on a very light server. seems pretty solid and stable now that it has permanently moved to docker. For a big use base you could use a beefy server or even spread the load of the various containers to different servers (that does require quite some tinkering but should be doable if u know docker)

Thanked by 1nvidian