Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

interested in buying /24, where to begin?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

interested in buying /24, where to begin?

This might be a super dumb question but I will ask anyway.

I want to get a /24 block but not really sure where to start. My needs are simple, I want the IP addresses to be usable using my home internet. Where do I buy the IPs? how do I configure it for home use? router? server? etc.

Is it even possible?

any help is appreciated

Comments

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

Nearly all residential ISPs do not do this.

• rickey318rickey318 Member, Host Rep

I would take it you need a ISP that will announce the IPs to your home or a ISP that will do a bgp session with you so you can announce the /24 at home.

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited August 2018

Can you explain what your end goal for these IPs is locally?

Have you asked your local ISP if they will provide this service for you directly? This will be the best way to go if possible, as it will involve the least amount of latency and overhead. Additionally, if your ISP doesn't offer these services, there is a good chance that written into their ToS and AUP are rules stating using the services as you likely intend is not allowed (reselling services, running servers, etc).

Knowing your goal will make a big difference in answering your question, because there are some ways to achieve this, but depending on your goal the throughput may not be enough or what you expect, as it would require the use of a VPN and a server to handle the routing on your side.

If your thought was to host dedicated server in your basement and be able to give out IPs to each, you could use this method to provide such but your throughput would be limited by the throughput you can achieve over the VPN you choose (which can be lower than the max speed of your connection with overhead/latency created).

If your thought was, "Hey I will get gigabit to my house and then sell servers to all my friends", first, I wouldn't do this, period, full stop. Second if IP services are not provided directly by your ISP, you are going to have to route all servers through that one VPN to achieve them using the public IPs as you would like, so you will be getting less than remarkable performance and it will probably not be worth it.

If you give some more information though, I am sure some people will at least be able to provide some idea of what is possible...

@rickey318 said:
    I would take it you need a ISP that will announce the IPs to your home or a ISP that will do a bgp session with you so you can announce the /24 at home.

Pretty much, this would be the best option you could have outside of having them provide the ips and route them for you directly.

Cheers!

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited August 2018

Short answer: No.

Long answer: Maybe.

The whole question smells though.

Thanked by 2willie feezioxiii
  • This is very dubious. Closing thread. OP if you want it re-opened, feel free to PM me explaining EXACTLY what you want to do with these 256 IP's to your home internet.

Thanked by 1ma2t
This discussion has been closed.