Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for SSD VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for SSD VPS

I am looking for a KVM VPS with better performance/price ratio than OVH.
OVH's offering
1 vCore(s) @ 2.4 GHz
2 GB RAM
20 GB SSD
$3.35/month

I would like to have 25GB NVME SSD and 1TB BW @ 1gbps port. 2 gigs of ram coupled with 1 or 2 real core should do the trick. no atom, please.

Location: Any with decent peering to major Indian ISPs. 5MBps stable transfer speed with <300 ping to my home connection will be the benchmark. Most US based, UK based, Netherland based providers work well for me. Germany based, however, have given issues. stares at hetzner

Use case: To use as a backup server for a couple of low traffic wordpress sites incase the main server goes down, To test and compare various server configs before deploying on the main server. It will be idle most of the time.

I was using an online.net deal for this but they jumped the price too much for an idle server.

There is no real limit on pricing except I want a better performance/price ratio than OVH.

Comments

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran
    edited August 2018

VPS with dedicated core will cost more than $4, unless provider is desperate.

• @WebProject said:
    VPS with dedicated core will comes than $4, unless provider is desperate.

I am not looking for dedicated cores. From real cores, I meant a server grade cores and not atom cores. I am looking at the $5 plan from vultr right now. looks good but doesn't have nvme, I guess.

Thanked by 1rdpground
  • WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran
    edited August 2018

In this case try vmhaus

• @vmhaus Any offers going on? Also, what is up with the status report? 1077 minutes of downtime in last 7 days and 981 minutes of downtime in last 30 days. how? :/

• IonSwitch_StanIonSwitch_Stan Member, Host Rep

2GB ram for $3.35/m is pretty low. Most folks here are at about 2x that in major data centers on reasonable servers.

• @IonSwitch_Stan said:
    2GB ram for $3.35/m is pretty low. Most folks here are at about 2x that in major data centers on reasonable servers.

$7 is not a problem, as long as there are additional benifits like NVMe drives and extra cores to justify the price. I am looking for more offers though.

Hetzner cloud fits the bill perfectly but their peering to India sucks. Can hardly get stable 2MBps on my dedi.

• vmhausvmhaus Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@Maxsam4 said:
    @vmhaus Any offers going on? Also, what is up with the status report? 1077 minutes of downtime in last 7 days and 981 minutes of downtime in last 30 days. how? :/

Heh, that's what you get when the status page doesn't know about system resiliency.

That router ( "core 2") was taken out of production last night, the slack was taken up by the other router in this DC. :)

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Maxsam4 said:

@IonSwitch_Stan said:

$7 is not a problem, as long as there are additional benifits like NVMe drives and extra cores to justify the price. I am looking for more offers though.

Hetzner cloud fits the bill perfectly but their peering to India sucks. Can hardly get stable 2MBps on my dedi.

Check and see if http://speedtest.lv.buyvm.net works well.

Francisco

• Hi. We can provide a VPS in Germany with NMVe SSD running on OVH network.

Test IP for Germany can be found here.

More info about KVM plans here.

• @Francisco said:

>

Check and see if http://speedtest.lv.buyvm.net works well.

Francisco

The network seems to be performing well. Your slices, however, don't match my requirements. I don't need 4 gigs of ram or 80 gigs of space but I do need at least 1 fair share CPU (Maybe I don't but I want). 15$ is a bit much for my requirements. The 7$ slice meets my requirement better but only 0.5 cpu on fair share bases is a deal breaker for me. Can you bump the cpu to 0.5 dedi and burtsable to 1 core (fair share)?

• Maxsam4Maxsam4 Member
    edited August 2018

I am liking hosthatch's offering but my concern is that they don't offer DDoS protection. I am probably not going to get DDoS'd but my neighbors might and as it's a shared environment, won't it affect all of the clients? I certainly don't want to be punished when others get DDoS'd.

Anyone knows how this works?
    Gonna run some benchmarks tomorrow on hourly providers and finalize my decision. Can't really make use of the money back guarantee as my bank will still charge me the conversion fee. Twice.

Maxsam4 said: The 7$ slice meets my requirement better but only 0.5 cpu on fair share bases is a deal breaker for me. Can you bump the cpu to 0.5 dedi and burtsable to 1 core (fair share)?

That's exactly what it is :) You get 50% of a thread guaranteed with burstable.

If you slam the CPU 24/7 it may get hard capped down, but it does uncap.

Francisco

Thanked by 1JohnMiller92
  • @Francisco said:

Maxsam4 said: The 7$ slice meets my requirement better but only 0.5 cpu on fair share bases is a deal breaker for me. Can you bump the cpu to 0.5 dedi and burtsable to 1 core (fair share)?

That's exactly what it is :) You get 50% of a thread guaranteed with burstable.

If you slam the CPU 24/7 it may get hard capped down, but it does uncap.

Francisco

Well, that's great! You should update the website to say that more clearly. Is Luxembourg location going to be in stock anytime soon? Also, what's with the DDoS protection. I am probably not going to get DDoS'd but my neighbors might and as it's a shared environment, won't it affect all of the clients? I certainly don't want to be punished when others get DDoS'd. Even if I get a DDoS protected IP, won't others getting DDoS hurt me? Yes, You can null route the IP but it's not instant, I suppose.

• hosthatchhosthatch Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@Maxsam4 said:
    I am liking hosthatch's offering but my concern is that they don't offer DDoS protection.

We do offer DDoS protection in Amsterdam for $3 per IP address. It is not available in other locations (for now).

Maxsam4 said: Also, what's with the DDoS protection.

We have an autonull in place that keeps an eye on the network, nullroutes kick in within a couple seconds.

You can buy protection for $3.00/month/IP in any of our locations.

Francisco

• skbenterpriseskbenterprise Member, Patron Provider

Hey,

We offer SSD VPS from Amsterdam.

Our prices start from 7,50 EUR monthly.

Have a look at our plans: https://skb-enterprise.com/ssd-vps/

• @Abdullah said:

@Maxsam4 said:
    I am liking hosthatch's offering but my concern is that they don't offer DDoS protection.

We do offer DDoS protection in Amsterdam for $3 per IP address. It is not available in other locations (for now).

Do you have an autonull in place like buyvm which can kick in if someone else gets ddosed?

Also, what's the node configurations at various locations?

• Maxsam4Maxsam4 Member
    edited August 2018

Decided to try out @VMHaus but the benchmarks are disappointing. https://serverscope.io/trials/lPq2

I had high hopes for more for NVMe disks. especially the Disk Read.
    Ran another benchmark on another instance, in another continent, worse results. Are NVMe disks really just a marketing gimmick?

Hmm. Pony performed worse https://serverscope.io/trials/GrkN @Francisco

• Give the servers at my signature a shot

• If Chicago works for you, Servercheap's standard SSD KVM with 2 cores is about the same price as the OVH offering, and I'm seeing 568 MB/s average I/O on my 1 core / 1 GB VPS there (vs. <400 on my OVH instances). They also offer NVME, but at a higher price (and I don't have one of those to test). DDoS protection is included. I'm seeing 99.9% reachability on mine.

• JohnMiller92JohnMiller92 Member
    edited August 2018

@szarka said:
    If Chicago works for you, Servercheap's standard SSD KVM with 2 cores is about the same price as the OVH offering, and I'm seeing 568 MB/s average I/O on my 1 core / 1 GB VPS there (vs. <400 on my OVH instances). They also offer NVME, but at a higher price (and I don't have one of those to test). DDoS protection is included. I'm seeing 99.9% reachability on mine.

Their KVM coupon is pretty nutty imo. Looking at $41 for a year with 2 vCores and DDoS protection.

• I bought hosthatch as well yesterday but couldn't start benchmarking as server was not coming online. Support didn't help.

Seems like their Ubuntu image is faulty. It worked after flashing centos. Here are the results if anyone is interested https://serverscope.io/trials/1Z3R

Dissappointing, again.

• @JohnMiller92 said:

@szarka said:
    If Chicago works for you, Servercheap's standard SSD KVM with 2 cores is about the same price as the OVH offering, and I'm seeing 568 MB/s average I/O on my 1 core / 1 GB VPS there (vs. <400 on my OVH instances). They also offer NVME, but at a higher price (and I don't have one of those to test). DDoS protection is included. I'm seeing 99.9% reachability on mine.

Their KVM coupon is pretty nutty imo. Looking at $41 for a year with 2 vCores and DDoS protection.

Nutty in what way? Too cheap? I was skeptical, but I picked up one of their LEB specials last June and added another VPS in January when I saw that it was decent. I'm using the second one for real work.

• JohnMiller92JohnMiller92 Member
    edited August 2018

Nutty in what way? Too cheap? I was skeptical, but I picked up one of their LEB specials last June and added another VPS in January when I saw that it was decent. I'm using the second one for real work.

As in a steal! It's nice!

Thanked by 2szarka rdpground
  • @JohnMiller92 said:

@szarka said:

Can you please share a link to the deal or coupon

• It's right there on their pricing page: "Limited Time Sale: Get 20% Off all KVM SSD Servers.
    Use coupon KVM20OFF during checkout."

If you search, you can find even better old LEB deals, but I assume they are no longer valid.

• Just wanted to say that Grabbed one from @AlexBarakov immediately after hosthatch and have been using it since.

It has been pretty impressive. It mostly idles but can burst just fine and hasn't gone down even once. Will recommend it 100%

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited November 2018

@rdpground said:
    Hi. We can provide a VPS in Germany, USA, Canada with NMVe SSD running on OVH network.

Despite being warned/temp-banned multiple times for spam-related issues, you’ve proven time and time again that you’re incapable of making any valuable contributions to the community.

Enjoy a permanent ban (and it’s not like you care about our community anyway).