Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The best cheap PCs to be used as a server at parents houses (no monitor)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

The best cheap PCs to be used as a server at parents houses (no monitor)

Hello guys,
I took a look some time ago for a few PC models that was really cheap and I could install Windows and run in different places (parents houses).

My main idea is to use a 'free residential IP' in the same country. Here there are not cheap options to use good proxies. So, I'd like to run a few softwares in different places without a BIG cost.

My first idea was to buy USED laptops.
But, I'd like to find something not BIG and I do not need MONITOR.
I plan to manage them using TEAMVIEWER.

Yes, I will have the hardware cost, but once. And if it were cheap, it will not bring me so problem.

I tried to find a few options in a g00gle search:

https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2474036,00.asp

What do you think about the Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Motherboard?

https://www.amazon.com/Raspberry-Pi-RASPBERRYPI3-MODB-1GB-Model-Motherboard/dp/B01CD5VC92?SubscriptionId=AKIAJV4KMHBMUG36SMIQ&tag=pcm_rounduptable-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B01CD5VC92&ascsubtag=472e9798-1572-4e36-97b2-599745ba4606

--

CHEAP PC + WIFI + WINDOWS

What are your suggestions?
Do you have experience with it?

Comments

• Not windows, Linux plus squid or 3proxy. Raspberry will work here. Keep in mind it will work ony if you get external IP from your ISP.

Thanked by 1DragonDF
  • Look at HP Elite 8300 or 8200, Lenovo m92p tiny, etc They are relatively cheap and easy to use.

Thanked by 1DragonDF
  • About Pi 3 Model B Motherboard (answers in Amazon)

"Windows doesn't have an image that supports the ARM CPU architecture, so no full version of Windows."

Will i absolutely need a mouse and keyboard? If I'm planning on making a retro gaming set up? Is it possible to browse internet?
    Reply: You will need one just for initial setup, then you can SSH into the terminal. If you have a mouse and keyboard floating around you can just plug them into the Pi for the 15min you need for setup, and then return them to wherever you normally keep them. If you need to access the browser while you are setting up your project you can setup a VNC server, I have had good success with tightVNC; that way you can just use your laptop or other computer to work on the project on the Pi. I also made a retro gaming setup (specifically Defender) and I completed the entire project with VNC and SSH, so if you're comfortable using those then you shouldn't have a problem. Otherwise, I would get the cheap little $14 bluetooth keyboard with touchpad, it's just nice to have in case you need it.

does it run windows xp?
    Reply: No, but you can run this version of windows:
    https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/iot/getstarted

I think it will not solve my problem. :)
    I do need windows or run it inside linux.

• @dodheimsgard said:
    Not windows, Linux plus squid or 3proxy. Raspberry will work here. Keep in mind it will work ony if you get external IP from your ISP.

Thank you for your opinion.

Is it not possible to use a Wifi card on it?
    What do you mean about 'external IP' ?

@rajprakash said:
    Look at HP Elite 8300 or 8200, Lenovo m92p tiny, etc They are relatively cheap and easy to use.

$187 in Amazon. Not so cheap. Specially because I am in Brazil and this PC here will cost something like $400

Fast Lenovo M92p Tiny: $299 not cheap, too. :(

They are core i5.

I am thinking in something cheaper.

Thank you anyway.

• If it just for a low end server (aka using a vpn to connect to your residential ip), I would suggest a used old laptop. You have in-a-box the power supply, monitor that doesn't take space, full ports with enough power for whatever peripheral you may be need and the cost will be lower than an RPi3 (combined with power supply and, at least, box).
    There are plenty of cheapo used laptops on ebay (even a single core pentium 4 would be OK). I would install there a lubuntu or xubuntu or debian with lxde (or, even better, just terminal with ssh for remote access if you are comfortable with).
    Teamviewer is working like a charm on linux, vpn server is much easier there, no-ip or similar solution for updating shared ip (although, you may have to determine if you have a full ip allocation by your home ISP or you are in a NAT environment, so, it will be not easy to use your home as proxy).
    And, of course, you have the laptop's battery as a UBS, instead of loss a temp of power supply.
    Power need of a laptop is not as low as a RPi3 but still is much lower than a desktop machine. And, if you are willing to pay some extra $$ (not much), find a used windows tablet and convert it to your server or even better, install Linux on it. Then, you have all I said before plus a minimal power need.

• Use fanless machines so the noise doesn't bother your parents. Other than that, how many of these machines are you planning to deploy? Will they all be in the same place? Are you going to start selling netflix proxies here on LET (lol)?

I'd give up on Windows for this if possible. At that point you can maybe use a raspberry pi zero w, or equivalent.

Thanked by 1DragonDF
  • From Rasperrypi manufacturer:

The Pi 3 Model B was launched in February 2016. It uses a 1.2GHz 64-bit quad-core ARM Cortex-A53 CPU, has 1GB RAM, integrated 802.11n wireless LAN, and Bluetooth 4.1. and is the model we recommend for use in schools, due to its flexibility for the learner.

So, this model has wireless LAN included.

• Yes but it's > 3x as expensive as the zero w.

• @willie said:
    Use fanless machines so the noise doesn't bother your parents. Other than that, how many of these machines are you planning to deploy? Will they all be in the same place? Are you going to start selling netflix proxies here on LET (lol)?

I'd give up on Windows for this if possible. At that point you can maybe use a raspberry pi zero w, or equivalent.

I wrote wrong.
    I want to buy 5 machines to use like I wrote. Not in my parents, but in relatives (brothers, sister, friends...)
    5 to 10 PCs : windows, wireless and NO monitor.

No, I will not sell 'netflix proxies' hehehehe. :)

I DO need Windows 7, at least running on it. Maybe a clean version.

The softwares I want to install run on Windows. It is not possible to use other OS.

Old laptops here people sell for under $100.

• DragonDF said: Old laptops here people sell for under $100

I just bought a core2duo with 3GB memory for just $40. So, there are plenty of opportunities, depending on your needs.

Thanked by 1DragonDF
  • Look for laptops with broken keyboards and screens I'd say. You are trying to run a RDP rather than just a network proxy? Sounds like you want a fairly powerful laptop in that case. If just a network proxy, don't bother with teamviewer.

• @willie said:
    Yes but it's > 3x as expensive as the zero w.

And I think all them will have the same problem: no Windows.

1. WILL IT RUN WINE (OR WINDOWS, OR OTHER X86 SOFTWARE)?
      In general, this is not possible with most versions of the Raspberry Pi. Some people have put Windows 3.1 on the Raspberry Pi inside an x86 CPU emulator in order to use specific applications, but trying to use a version of Windows even as recent as Windows 98 can take hours to boot into, and may take several more hours to update your cursor every time you try to move it. We don’t recommend it! As of summer 2015, a version of Windows 10 is available for use on the Raspberry Pi 2 and 3. This is an entirely new version of the operating system designed exclusively for embedded use, dubbed the Windows 10 Internet of Things (IoT) Core. It does not include the user interface (“shell”) or the desktop operating system

:(

• DragonDF said: And I think all them will have the same problem: no Windows.

Yes, the suggestion is that you expand your software horizons and eliminate the windows requirement.

• @willie said:

DragonDF said: And I think all them will have the same problem: no Windows.

Yes, the suggestion is that you expand your software horizons and eliminate the windows requirement.

This is not possible. I need to run Windows softwares. :)

• What about https://www.lattepanda.com/products/3.html
    Runs win 10 and is tiny no fan and 4GB 64GB disk.

• @jvnadr said:
    I just bought a core2duo with 3GB memory for just $40. So, there are plenty of opportunities, depending on your needs.

I agree with you.
    But in Brazil, what you buy for U$ 10 there I will buy for at least U$ 20.
    $40 there ? $80 here.
    :)

@willie said:
    Look for laptops with broken keyboards and screens I'd say. You are trying to run a RDP rather than just a network proxy? Sounds like you want a fairly powerful laptop in that case. If just a network proxy, don't bother with teamviewer.

Yes, they will be useful for me.
    And as I do not need monitor, I can use ONE monitor for all them.

The Teamviewer is an easy to use software. I like it. I can use it over blocked networks, too.

• What are you trying to run?

• DragonDF said: I agree with you. But in Brazil, what you buy for U$ 10 there I will buy for at least U$ 20. $40 there ? $80 here. :)

I live in Greece. So, when I buy something from the US from Ebay, let's say, for 40$, I have ~25-40 for transfer and another 15-25 for taxes. So, it raises up to $80-100, but again, usually it's cheaper than buy a similar item from my country or, even, from EU. Just search a lot and you will find bargains on Ebay.

Thanked by 1DragonDF
  • DragonDF said: This is not possible. I need to run Windows softwares. :)

But, wouldn't you run the windows software at the other end of the proxy, rather than where the proxy is?

I see there's an alibaba page about brazil laptops (https://www.alibaba.com/countrysearch/BR/laptop.html) but you probably already know where to find them.

Thanked by 1DragonDF
  • @jvnadr said:

I live in Greece. So, when I buy something from the US from Ebay, let's say, for 40$, I have ~25-40 for transfer and another 15-25 for taxes. So, it raises up to $80-100, but again, usually it's cheaper than buy a similar item from my country or, even, from EU. Just search a lot and you will find bargains on Ebay.

It is not possible to import USED products to Brazil. :(

So, I can not buy used laptops in ebay.
    For this I was trying to find a cheap option, without monitor.

@willie said:

But, wouldn't you run the windows software at the other end of the proxy, rather than where the proxy is?

I do not think so.
    Maybe it was not clear in my first post.

I want to buy PC and install them into my relatives houses. So, I will use their residential IPs.
    I will not use proxies. Specially because Brazilian private proxies are not cheap. US proxies are cheap.

[ PC ] + wifi (IP) + software

I see there's an alibaba page about brazil laptops (https://www.alibaba.com/countrysearch/BR/laptop.html) but you probably already know where to find them.

Here I have a company, so I can buy a bit cheaper than others. But it is not a GOOD option, yet.
    It is better to buy used ones with keyboard or monitor problems.

:)

Thank you!

• OK it's still not clear what you're trying to do then. What Windows programs do you actually want to run?

• cubedatacubedata Member, Patron Provider

@willie said:
    OK it's still not clear what you're trying to do then. What Windows programs do you actually want to run?

the usual netflix proxy, shoebot, etc that is in violation of the rules here on white-hat.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

@willie said:
    OK it's still not clear what you're trying to do then. What Windows programs do you actually want to run?

When someone avoid answering specific questions, you know what it is.

• williewillie Member
    edited August 2018

Cubedata, Netflix proxies usually want to be in the US and afaik we don't have a rule against them (I don't personally see using them as black hat, though selling access to them might be), but you're probably right about the other stuff so I'm going to close the thread. Thanks for the sharp eye. Deank (posted while I was writing this), same.

This discussion has been closed.