Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Netflix to show ads during binge watching
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Netflix to show ads during binge watching

YmpkerYmpker Member
edited August 2018 in General

Seems like I will have to cancel and go back to the roots. I pay for Netflix to be able to watch good shows and without advertisment (even if only for their shows it interrupts binge watching). reddit.com/r/netflix is full with posts about this. How do you (as a netflix subscriber) feel about this move?

Thanked by 1Chuck

Comments

• I have a feeling they will lose a lot of subscriptions lol.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Netflix movies are already full off product placements, so no wonder.

Thanked by 3hostdare MrH netomx
  • @Neoon said:
    Netflix movies are already full off product placements, so no wonder.

To be fair it isn't only netflix movies that have this problem.

• adxnadxn Member, Host Rep

A bad move considering their latest expansion in Asia (especially South Asia)

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

That is REALLY bad, I already get annoyed by the Amazon prime adverts between shows that they crank the volume RIGHT UP on.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • PUSHR_VictorPUSHR_Victor Member, Host Rep

Just cancelled. Plex FTW

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @wilbo said:
    The 15 people who use my account are not gonna be happy about this.

As someone who uses my friend's account, I lol'd <3. You people rock!

• YuraYura Member

No ads in my ISOs.

• NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited August 2018

So if you stop watching ad supported TV, and you stop paying for Netflix and Amazon, who’s going to produce the content for your Plex servers in a few years time?

Thanked by 1J1021
  • @Nekki said:
    So if you stop watching ad supported TV, and you stop paying for Netflix and Amazon, who’s going to produce the content for your Plex servers in a few years time?

Before that happens the studios/publishers will investigate the issue why noone is paying and realize its because of the ads and will bring a netflix adfree premium subscription.

• Skippable ads & they're only showing suggested series/etc.

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited August 2018

@Aidan said:
    Skippable ads & they're only showing suggested series/etc.

However when binge watching a series I don't wanna have to click "skip" when sitting on my sofa watching Flix on TV nor would I want to do that when watching it on pc. Just unnecessary. If you can globally in the settings choose to show or not show ads that's fine by me but I wouldn't want this disruption during binge watching..

And Prime is already annoying as is..let alone their ads.. I only use it for fast shipping and prime reading lol

Thanked by 1Aidan
  • @Aidan said:
    Skippable ads & they're only showing suggested series/etc.

Hopefully suggestions can be turned off if not needed or wanted...

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@Multi said:

@Nekki said:

Before that happens the studios/publishers will investigate the issue why noone is paying and realize its because of the ads and will bring a netflix adfree premium subscription.

Which will obviously cost more money, which people will also bitch and complain and leave Netflix over.

• Multi said:

Nekki said:

That could be the actual reason why they're introducing ads. They'll push to pay more to disable ads.

• Go back to the original binge watching app - Torrents

• LeviLevi Member

0 fucks given. People watching netflix and will watch it. Ads or no ads, the only factor is price.

Thanked by 2hostdare Janevski
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

LET is my Netflix.

• This'll make me re-contemplate being the provider to what feels like the whole family and friends, the neighbours and their cousins... Bloody leeches.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

@saibal said:

Multi said:

Nekki said:

That could be the actual reason why they're introducing ads. They'll push to pay more to disable ads.

The programming has to be paid for somehow.

High-quality programming costs money, and as the traditional ad-funded TV networks lose their audience they stop producing quality and start churning out the low-quality, cheap dross, which means Netflix has to generate more of their own content, which costs money.

• @Nekki said:

Not denying the cost of producing quality content. They could create a few subscription tiers as an alternative to introducing ads.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

@Nekki, you are talking to LET crowd.

Economics101 doesn't work on us. We don't care who goes bellyup as long as we get what we want for as long as we can.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@saibal said:

@Nekki said:

Not denying the cost of producing quality content. They could create a few subscription tiers as an alternative to introducing ads.

They already tried that in a few regions, the backlash was significant.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@HyperSpeed said:
    This'll make me re-contemplate being the provider to what feels like the whole family and friends, the neighbours and their cousins... Bloody leeches.

This is exactly the problem. I know not everyone who leeches would end up paying, but I imagine the number who did would make an reasonably significant difference to Netflix’ bottom.

Thanked by 1HyperSpeed
  • LeeLee Veteran
    edited August 2018

Multi said: netflix adfree premium subscription

I thought thats what I am already paying Netflix to provide.

• @Lee said:

Multi said: netflix adfree premium subscription

I thought thats what I am already paying Netflix to provide.

Not anymore

• Save this kb page ( https://help.netflix.com/en/node/1891 ) for when they start showing ads:

• pikepike Veteran
    edited August 2018

What I don't get about this: they say it's to help users find new stuff to consume, however they only show the ads to people that already are binge-watching another show. I guess it is a test how users react on ads, if this works out they will go for real advertising since they want to grow and produce a lot more.

@Nekki said:

ARD & ZDF