Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Alternative to resilio sync?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Alternative to resilio sync?

hacktekhacktek Member
edited August 2018 in Help

Hi there.

I'm trying to replicate some folders from one server in a remote location. It's about 500 GB to 1 TB of data. I found resilio sync and loved how easy it is to set up and how fast it works. It also fits a few of my requirements:

1- Syncing only certain subfolders from within a folder
2- Scheduling with bandwidth limitation

The problem is that both of those features are from the "Pro" version and I'd rather not have to pay the $50. I mean, I will if I absolutely have to but I was wondering if anyone knows a free alternative that'd allow me to do that. And yes, I'm aware that I could just rsync with trickled or something but I'd also rather not have to do any scripting to set this up.

Comments

• jetchiragjetchirag Member
    edited August 2018

hacktek said: I'm aware that I could just rsync with trickled or something

I think that would be an 'east' way to do it than searching something which fits exact requirements. You can use bwlimit and include your subdirectories after excluding everything.

• Did you mean: Syncthing

• RizRiz Member

@msg7086 said:
    Did you mean: Syncthing

BitTorrent Sync has been rebranded a few times now, with Resilo being the latest. The core product works well. Bandwidth could be throttled at a network layer.

Syncthing works great.

• Syncthing is great.

• Syncthing or lsyncd

• I looked at syncthing. It's alright, the per folder stuff is annoying there as I'd have to exclude what I don't want rather than include what I want and it's just a box to edit a text file so the interface is general is worse than resilio I think, where I can simply click a button next to the folder I want to sync. Not a big deal but kind of annoying.

It doesn't seem to have any bandwidth limiting capabilities but that's not a big deal either as I've been testing resilio with QoS on the router (setting its port on the lowest priority) and that's been working very well to be able to max the connection when possible while still allowing for internet usage and video streaming that's not complete crap.

I'll test sync a couple of things using syncthing just to test it out.

• Well I tried it but it just crashed after I added a few folders to it. Guess it doesn't like the raspberry pi 2 it's running on. Resilio doesn't have this problem while running on the same platform.