Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Source VS Managed
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Source VS Managed

natestammnatestamm Member
edited February 2012 in General

I thought an existing thread might lead to some good points for people to offer on building from source versus any of a variety of managed system img...

I think rolling up a box versus package management versus source may be an inappropriate comparison but I'm curious where the interest lies for it all ...

So, how many of you like to be nursed through upgrades, installs, and How many are more inclined through their every day work to be the almighty compiler...?

Just trying to get some insight on you all. As my self I'm sure many of you have been on both sides of that fence. At heart I'd like to know what you enjoy!

Comments

• The game is all about convenience...

• It really depends on what it is. Some things I'll install from source, others from a package manager.

• I'm all about convenience so apt get all the way whenever it's possible.

• If the package or version I want exists as a package in whatever package system i'm using, then I use the package.

If I want the newest version, or it's something that's not popular enough to be maintained as a package, then I use the source.

I come from the days of do-all-of-it-yourself Slackware, then moved to package-dependency-hell RPM, then rarely-fails apt.