Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is the default limit (MB/s) on I/O usage for Shared Hosting?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What is the default limit (MB/s) on I/O usage for Shared Hosting?

Question is for those popular Shared Hosting (bluehost, a2hosting, hostgator...)

Comments

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Dat's like asking women's 3 sizes.

Better ask them privately.

Thanked by 1PrestigeWS
  • Most hosts have it at 3-5mb/s

• BUT any ssd host should increase the default IO

Thanked by 2Chuck mrTom
  • ChuckChuck Member
    edited August 2018

@deank said:
    Dat's like asking women's 3 sizes.

Better ask them privately.

I'm asking because I just got a Shared hosting from a company on here with 1 MB/s I/O limit.

• Never used hostgator, but I've seen screenshots people's panel where they only allow 25% CPU

• since OP ask i/o limit, any script to benchmark shared/reseller hosting?

im planning to try one of provider here, than ask via support i will just buy and benchmark it.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

1mb/sec is the CL default limit.

Francisco

• @Francisco said:

Francisco

Should the host provider increase the default limit if they use SSD?

• @Chuck said:

@Francisco said:

Francisco

Even if the host is overselling, I don't see any reason to leave it at 1mb/s.

Ponny boy is filling nodes with tons of people and last time I checked the limit was 20mb/s (if I'm not mistaken)

• @vovler said:

@Chuck said:

@Francisco said:

Francisco

Even if the host is overselling, I don't see any reason to leave it at 1mb/s.

Ponny boy is filling nodes with tons of people and last time I checked the limit was 20mb/s (if I'm not mistaken)

So...the most reliable course of action is to open Support ticket request to increase the I/O limit to 5mb/s?

• @Chuck said:

So...the most reliable course of action is to open Support ticket request to increase the I/O limit to 5mb/s?

You could try that, otherwise move to another provider. Make sure you ask the questions you have before ordering anything.

• @Francisco said:

So somebody with a 1mbps internet connection and a 486 won't be disadvantaged. That's nice.

• The provider said: "We can't increase it from our end. It's default limit set by Cloudlinux os."

Is this for real?

@Chuck said:
    The provider said: "We can't increase it from our end. It's default limit set by Cloudlinux os."

Is this for real?

They should edit the "DEFAULT" user and then it'll apply to everyone.

That's how we do it.

Francisco

Thanked by 1Chuck
  • @Chuck said:
    The provider said: "We can't increase it from our end. It's default limit set by Cloudlinux os."

Is this for real?

They can create a new profile, and set it to your account. This way it would only influence one account and not all of them.

Guess they just dont want to do it.

Thanked by 1Chuck

@vovler said:

@Chuck said:

Is this for real?

They can create a new profile, and set it to your account. This way it would only influence one account and not all of them.

That works too :)

It's possible they're on spinning rust so it could be a problem if they're having iowait spikes.

Francisco

• @Francisco , @vovler

I screenshot both of your posts and Ticket it to the Host provider.

This was their answer: "we can't change default value from our end."

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

Your provider is possibly a reseller, they hence can't make changes.

• ChuckChuck Member
    edited August 2018

@SplitIce said:

They also have RESELLER plans.

How the heck I'm supposed to burn through 5TB Bandwidth/month and "Unlimited Domains" with 1 MB/s I/O limit ?

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

@Chuck "Master reseller" then

• @SplitIce said:
    @Chuck "Master reseller" then

They don't have Master reseller plan.

• @Chuck said:

@SplitIce said:

They also have RESELLER plans.

How the heck I'm supposed to burn through 5TB Bandwidth/month and "Unlimited Domains" with 1 MB/s I/O limit ?

I see... The I/O limit only applies to processes started by your account. It does not seem apply when someone visits your website.

I may be mistaken, but try to run a loader.io stress test on your website, to see how much you can actually handle.

https://docs.cloudlinux.com/index.html?io_limits.html

The IO limits will only affect DISK IO, and will have no effect on network. It also doesn't take into consideration any disk cache accesses. So, even if file is loaded from disk cache 1000 times -- it will not be counted towards IO limits.

• @Francisco said:

@vovler said:

@Chuck said:

Is this for real?

It's possible they're on spinning rust so it could be a problem if they're having iowait spikes.

Francisco

“Rust”

pfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffft. I guess I have to get my hard drives into the shop for a new coat of paint!

• ChuckChuck Member
    edited August 2018

Clients per test 500; Duration 1minute

http://bit.ly/2wdEoWS

=================

Maintain client load 500 ; Duration 1minute

http://bit.ly/2vPxQ1z

note: it's a Blank website. I haven't built anything. Just bought the domain name and the shared hosting yesterday.

• vovlervovler Member
    edited August 2018

@Chuck said:
    Clients per test 500; Duration 1minute

http://bit.ly/2wdEoWS

=================

Maintain client load 500 ; Duration 1minute

http://bit.ly/2vPxQ1z

note: it's a Blank website. I haven't built anything. Just bought the domain name and the shared hosting yesterday.

Blank pages defeats the purpose of testing it.
    Upload a 1MB image and link to it in a index .html file and test it again with 50 mantained users. Assuming that the port on the node is 1Gbps, you'd be using about 400mbps which is nice

EDIT__________________

If your website is behind cloudflare, disable it, as it would serve the image from their cache

Thanked by 1Chuck
  • jetchiragjetchirag Member
    edited August 2018

@Francisco said:

@vovler said:

@Chuck said:

Is this for real?

Francisco

There's even an option to set such limits per user.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited August 2018

Francisco said: It's possible they're on spinning rust

haha, brilliant way to put it!

Spinning Sata disks are to be known as rusters from here on out.

• The whole thing doesn't make sense.

They are able to sell: Reseller hosting plan. It means that they should have access to root account of Master reseller.

Why do they keep saying: ""we can't change default value from our end."??

• RazzaRazza Member
    edited August 2018

Just because they can sell resellers accounts dose not mean they got root level access on server.

Most likely they are just reselling accounts via their master reseller account.

• okpxokpx Member