Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Google One is coming soon
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Google One is coming soon

Expanded storage, access to Google experts, and more — in one shareable plan.

Google One plans will start at 100 GB for $1.99, 200 GB for $2.99, and 2 TB for $9.99 per month, while pricing for plans larger than 2TB will remain the same. (Existing 1 TB Drive plans will be upgraded to 2 TB at no extra cost.)

https://one.google.com/getupdates

Thanked by 1dergelbe

Comments

• JohnMiller92JohnMiller92 Member
    edited August 2018

Sounds interesting, thanks for sharing

Is it like a premium version of the free Google Drive? (more space)

• It's already here in the US ;) (just not for G Suite users though, I contacted them and they said soon™)

JohnMiller92 said: Is it like a premium version of the free Google Drive? (more space)

Yes, it's a replacement of the paid plans for Google Drive. Google One offers storage at a cheaper price per GB as well as some other goodies (like "access to a team of experts" and free Google Play credits, currently if you sign up for Google One you will get a free $5 Google Play credit)

Thanked by 1JohnMiller92
  • I'm still waiting for Google to get into the VPS market (probably not going to happen, but amazon decided to make Lightsail so...)

• Im waiting Google X Space.

• Is the Google One better than the Google 360? Or should I just get a PlayStation?

Thanked by 1Yura
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

Forget those and get the upcoming Wee X.

• szarkaszarka Member
    edited August 2018

Annoying. They announced this back in May. Then I get an email yesterday saying it was finally available, but the link just takes me to the same "coming soon" page. C'mon, Google. You're turning into Microsoft with this vaporware hype.

Thanked by 1Aluminat
  • nice hope it comes to Australia soon :)

imagine 1 billion Google users using 2TB space EEK

• eva2000 said: imagine 1 billion Google users using 2TB space EEK

Since most people are just storing popular movies there will be a lot of duplication and Google won't have to store a copy for each person. They do know what people are storing, don't they? [/sarcasm]

• 2T for 9.99 is good. I have 1T Dropbox for about $60.

• I am really looking forward to it.

• SMGSMG Member

Currently they don’t enforce anyone going over 1TB on the $7 business plan, wonder if they’ll start restricting it now!

• though they could 'spy and peek' what we store, i dont really worry. because at least google is not going anywhere. Encrypt before upload.

• @SMG said:
    Currently they don’t enforce anyone going over 1TB on the $7 business plan, wonder if they’ll start restricting it now!

Link please for this $7 plan?

• @plumberg said:

@SMG said:

Link please for this $7 plan?

https://gsuite.google.com/intl/de/

@SMG said:

I ask google a few months ago why most people with one user can use unlimited storage.
    They said people who can do this are lucky, they should be happy with it and they won't restrict active plans.

Currently i'm using 6tb with it.

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • €8 is still around $9.15 USD, not $7.

• If Google gets into the VPS market all small companies that offer hosting services will have to close :)

• @geshoto said:
    If Google gets into the VPS market all small companies that offer hosting services will have to close :)

Not all people love Google.

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited August 2018

They may not love Google but they will use it if it's too good.

Those who will absolutely refuse to use Google will be very few that it won't matter.

MS Windows is a good example.

• Interested. How is the bandwidth? Unlimited?

• @karatekidmonkey said:

€8 is still around $9.15 USD, not $7.

https://gsuite.google.com/intl/en/

It is $5/user per month in the USA.

• HowLowCanYouGo said: It is $5/user per month in the USA.

That's for the basic edition (30GB storage). Not the Business edition (∞ storage), which is €8 in Germany.

• Now I notice we all automatically have the free 15gb version, does that mean we still get the other benefits or do we have to be paying customers? One thing I am still looking for clarification on.

• yongsikleeyongsiklee Member, Patron Provider

@AmitX said:
    Expanded storage, access to Google experts, and more — in one shareable plan.

Google One plans will start at 100 GB for $1.99, 200 GB for $2.99, and 2 TB for $9.99 per month, while pricing for plans larger than 2TB will remain the same. (Existing 1 TB Drive plans will be upgraded to 2 TB at no extra cost.)

https://one.google.com/getupdates

Too expensive.

• edited August 2018

And yet there is still no official linux client for Google Drive as far as I know. They said that was coming soon™ about 6 years ago.

• You can still use 3rd party solutions such as Rclone via command line, and I believe GNOME desktop environment has added google drive support.

@huntercop said:
    Now I notice we all automatically have the free 15gb version, does that mean we still get the other benefits or do we have to be paying customers? One thing I am still looking for clarification on.

Gmail complains that my gmail account exceeds 15gig and needs to free up space.
    So I created another gmail account and had it forwarded the old into the new one.

Google is in particular good at is gmail, not much else. --- The search engine, google.com, came from another patented website and it was not a very creative one from google.

Anyway, I just cannot believe the fact that a search engine and an email provider can conquer the world in an instant-it looked like it.

• @yongsiklee said:
    Google is in particular good at is gmail, not much else. --- The search engine, google.com, came from another patented website and it was not a very creative one from google.

Whatever you're smoking, I want some…

Thanked by 3Aidan BBTN Aluminat

@szarka said:

@yongsiklee said:

Whatever you're smoking, I want some…

Google didn't go to $0 due to patent infringement but this article will be fascinating to read for some: https://techcrunch.com/2012/03/31/why-google-might-be-going-to-0/