Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone here who can help me out with OpenNebula?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anyone here who can help me out with OpenNebula?

Can someone help me with setting up OpenNebula? I'm confused about the storage and the networking part. I want to do a simple local storage (without HA ofc) but the docs seem confusing.

Comments

• DETioDETio Member
    edited August 2018

OpenNebula's default data-store setup would work, if the Sunstone Interface is deployed in a different server than the hosts and you don't want to have the images transferred via network - then you would need to create an Image Datastore and in the bridge_list options add the hostname/s of the servers that you want to store the OS Images in.

This would give you direct local storage to store your images in your host/s.

You would also want to create a new system datastore for your host, which will be used to store running and stopped VMs.

Your second option is using NFS & Shared Drivers, see this: https://forum.opennebula.org/t/local-storage-per-host/3504

For networking, just use standard Linux Bridges or OpenvSwitch Bridges.

Thanked by 1SolidxGaming
  • Thanks for the reply @DETio. I was wondering about the System Datastore. Can I have it in LVM/Filesystem? Can't find any docs about the system DS.

• Also, if I want images to be stored on the host for example, do I just make two partitions (one for images + the other for the VM's disks) and then mount them onto /var/lib/one/datastores/?

• You can separate the partitions, and then mount each partition to the respective /var/lib/one/datastore_id

This doc shows how to setup LVM: https://docs.opennebula.org/5.6/deployment/open_cloud_storage_setup/lvm_drivers.html

System/Image datastores can be either LVM or Filesystem.

Thanked by 1SolidxGaming
  • @DETio Does FS have any disadvantages compared to LVM? Like in terms of performance?

• LVM has slightly better performance than FS, but FS is easier to setup.

Thanked by 1SolidxGaming
  • @DETio, not sure what this means: All the nodes needs to have access to the same LUNs.

• DETioDETio Member
    edited August 2018

LUNs are for Shared Storage, that's if your setting up multiple hosts on the same LVM VG Datastore - if you're using a SAN.

• LVMs can be used for local storage right?

• DETioDETio Member
    edited August 2018

Yes, you would just have to create 2 Data-stores (Image & System) for each host.

The best way is to just use LVM for System, and FS for Images.

Thanked by 1SolidxGaming
  • Welp interesting. I went with FS for both images and system. Seems like images is being detected properly, but the system ds reports the size of /, not /var/lib/one/datastores/101.

/dev/md3 118G 61M 112G 1% /var/lib/one/datastores/100 /dev/md4 1.7T 77M 1.6T 1% /var/lib/one/datastores/101

Not sure what's up.

• LOCAL SYSTEM DATASTORE #101 CAPACITY TOTAL: : 1.6T USED: : 77M FREE: : 1.5T

onehost show shows this. No clue what's wrong.

• DETioDETio Member
    edited August 2018

Try deploying vms on that system datastore and see which partition it's using. I can see it has 1.5T capacity- how much is it reporting?

• SolidxGamingSolidxGaming Member
    edited August 2018

It's reporting nothing. I tried to deploy a VM:

Thu Aug 16 08:11:59 2018 : Error executing image transfer script: Error copying sunstone:/var/lib/one//datastores/100/148b9cbd5e96a9c35690066468e4c54a to compute_node:/var/lib/one//datastores/102/1/disk.0

Not sure why it's trying to copy the template that exists in the ds on the compute node from the sunstone node.

• @SolidxGaming said:
    It's reporting nothing. I tried to deploy a VM:

Thu Aug 16 08:11:59 2018 : Error executing image transfer script: Error copying sunstone:/var/lib/one//datastores/100/148b9cbd5e96a9c35690066468e4c54a to compute_node:/var/lib/one//datastores/102/1/disk.0

Not sure why it's trying to copy the template that exists in the ds on the compute node from the sunstone node.

I'll pm you to help.

Thanked by 1SolidxGaming