Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

your own anycast? looking for beta testers
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

your own anycast? looking for beta testers

gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

Hi Gals and Lads

For last couple of month we were secretly working on our new service, first ever (I think) anycast-as-a-service, codename ANY. At this stage we are looking for beta testers who can help us polish few things. The closed beta will be open on the 20th of August.

For testing purposes you will need 2-3 VMs (feel free to us existing ones, it should even work with NAT ones) running something (can be web server, game server etc.). We will assign you pair of anycast IPs (one IPv4 and one IPv6) and will wait for your feedback.

If you are interested drop me PM.

Cheers

Peter

Comments

• So basically what BuyVM does for free if you get 3 of their VPSes in 3 locations, but yours will work any VPSes/Servers from any provider, right?

Interested in the cost and how many VM's one can add.

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

@vovler - currently we have PoPs in Sydney, Singapore, Los Angeles, New York, Amsterdam and London. Japan, Brazil, South Africa plus some additional PoPs in US/EU will be added in September. You can apply this on top of any existing and/or new infrastructure. Currently the number of connected servers is not limited, but only one server per PoP can utilize given IP address. Regarding pricing let's say it will be cheap ;)

Thanked by 1victorchacon88
  • KrisKris Member

gbshouse said: first ever (I think) anycast-as-a-service

Sounds cool, but has existed already at other companies - albeit not cheap.

• imokimok Member

gbshouse said: Regarding pricing let's say it will be cheap ;)

Define your cheapness (is that even a word?). Numbers.

Thanked by 2vimalware maverickp

@Kris - the difference is that with other companies you can buy (dedicated|virtual) servers with anycast on top, in our case we are providing just the anycast and it's up to you which infrastructure you want to use

Thanked by 1Kris

@imok - pricing will be available later this month

Thanked by 1imok
  • KrisKris Member

My bad, totally misunderstood - sounded like Anycast bundled with VMs.

Sounds very interesting in that case actually...

• Hmm. US $30/yr is 'cheap' for me.

What's everyone else's definition?

Thanked by 1imok
  • @vimalware said:
    Hmm. US $30/yr is 'cheap' for me.

$0/month is pretty cheap

Thanked by 1thagoat

@vimalware - maybe not that cheap but still, @vovler - free is not cheap ;)

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @gbshouse said:
    @vimalware - maybe not that cheap but still, @vovler - free is not cheap ;)

Leak the pricing. We won't tell anyone. Pinky swear

• imokimok Member

@vimalware said:
    Hmm. US $30/yr is 'cheap' for me.

That's expensive.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

We are starting to see 1/year more frequently.

30/year is too much.

Location doesn't matter to these folks unless you put a revolver on their forehead.

Since we don't want to charge for bandwidth overusage we plan to include certain amount within each plan. At this stage we can only guess how much, I hope that we will have more data after few weeks of testing. Using this knowledge we can calculate the pricing. The only thing I can promise is that it will be reasonable

• Don't you have to route a whole /24 for anycast? How will you handle VPS's here and there on single addresses?

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

@willie said:
    Don't you have to route a whole /24 for anycast? How will you handle VPS's here and there on single addresses?

/24 is the minimum globally routable range. Doesn't mean you can use only 1 IP from the range.

@willie - a touch of magic, 20 years of experience and awesome coding skills, but jokes aside whole routing is done on our side, you just connect to our service, run small script to setup your anycast IPs locally and that's it. We've designed this to be as simple as possible.

• Cool,

I like this idea, do get in touch when it's available :-)

• williewillie Member
    edited August 2018

gbshouse said: run small script to setup your anycast IPs locally

Question is how many addresses do I have to pay for?

Added: Oh hmm, do you mean these addresses are routed only to your own POPs and then there's another hop to get to my VM? Ok this makes more sense now. So it's sort of a CDN-like network with VPS's at both ends. Interesting!

@willie - it's up to you. Our control panel allows you to assign addresses by your own. IPv4 is available as /32 , IPv6 as /128. If you need 3 v4 you just pick 3 * /32. Each address will be billed separately, the same applies to traffic accounting. You can also set custom PTR and request RIPE entry. Please note that during beta we privide just one address of each family.

• Thanks, yes, I understand it now, I think. Pretty cool! I'd sign up for the beta test but I don't know what I'd use it for ;).

• edited August 2018

I have been waiting for something like this. Assuming it works the way I imagine it working. It is not really clear to me how I would route the Anycast IP to my public IP on my infrastructure.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Sounds like something that could be fun to incorporate in to LES.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Sounds neat, I am in.

But regarding gameservers, I guess latency is a problem.

• LosPollosHermanos said: It is not really clear to me how I would route the Anycast IP to my public IP on my infrastructure.

I imagine a static tunnel. It makes me ask though, will DDOS protection be available for the anycast addresses?

@LosPollosHermanos - it's not routed to your public IP, instead routing is done on top of ZeroTier virtual network @AnthonySmith - I was going to reach you later thus week regarding this @Neoon - that's what I want to test

• vovlervovler Member
    edited August 2018

@gbshouse

I'm a newbie when it comes to anycast, but what are the advantages over GeoDNS? I know they work in different ways, but is one faster than the other?

@willie - initially in case of attack we will null route the IP using BGP RBH (null route on upstream level), later we will add DDoS protection (currently in setup)

@vovler - it depends from usage scenario, pure anycast is much faster as it's lower layer but it lacks certain features of geodns (we provide dns services too)

Thanked by 1vovler
  • v3ngv3ng Member, Patron Provider

Are you still looking for testers?