Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advertise on LowEndTalk.com
$Free Vps
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

$Free Vps

luis123456luis123456 Member
edited August 2011 in General

I think that every VPS-related forum should have this thread: Reason: There is a thresold under which I consider resources should be free (with stock control OFC)

The res:

256 mb RAM (optional: 512 MB Burst)

10 GB space

100 GB Bandwidth

500 MHZ CPU

What do you think?

I'm looking for a sponsored KVM VPS, but I'm not in a hurry. Just want to hear what you might offer to me

Comments

  • Did you forget to say who this provider is? Or am I missing the point?

  • I don't say a provider for that reason. It is generic.

    I'm looking for a sponsored KVM VPS, but I'm not in a hurry. Just want to hear what you might offer to me
  • GaryGary Member

    Nothing is free when things are finite. IPV4 addresses are limited. CPU cycles are limited. HDD space is limited. BW is limited.

    I don't know of any VPS provider who's made a success of giving away VMs for free.

  • skagerrakskagerrak Member
    edited August 2011

    Well, depending on your local tax regime, you can deduct that as income-related expenses or tax allowable expenses, thus reducing your overall payable tax amount.

  • ztecztec Member
    edited August 2011

    True, but it would still make more sense to me if you did that as shared hosting, free VPS' seem to me as it would attract a lot more hackers.

    You can spam me with any yearly shared hosting deal.

  • Of course. I didn't want to raise the security question. I just wanted to say that even if it is free it can make sense to a company in some way. Thus, pointing to the economical aspect.

  • luis123456 said: What do you think?

    I think you should stay at "that place" if you want a free VPS. There's a reason free VPS providers are in the single digits...

    When you find that perfect VPS, KEEP IT.

  • @Zetta: Cause people suck up to them so that they can try to maintain and keep their free services?

  • I mean this with IPV6 and the host being so secure lol

    I'm looking for a sponsored KVM VPS, but I'm not in a hurry. Just want to hear what you might offer to me
  • @luis -- Let me get this straight... Are you trying to state that if a provider is going to give away a free VPS then this should be the minimum? If not I apologize however, if this is the case it never ceases to amaze me just how (what word am I looking for here?) some people are.

    It's beyond cheap. Cheap is free but then asking that "free" item to be a certain spec?

    Pay for it like everyone else does so the provider can keep the lights on for another month. ;)

  • Brandon_eNetSouth said: if this is the case it never ceases to amaze me just how (what word am I looking for here?) some people are.

    +1 ¬_¬

  • Brandon_eNetSouth said: Let me get this straight... Are you trying to state that if a provider is going to give away a free VPS then this should be the minimum? If not I apologize however, if this is the case it never ceases to amaze me just how (what word am I looking for here?) some people are.

    I think the word you're looking for is freeloader.
    I guess some people think that everything is free and on a nice convenient torrent to download too. ...Just...just stick to shared hosting, please...

    When you find that perfect VPS, KEEP IT.

  • skagerrak said: you can deduct that as income-related expenses or tax allowable expenses, thus reducing your overall payable tax amount.

    You can reduce your tax liability by NOT making that much money. Hmmm why didn't my accountant telling me that :) But yeah I understand what you mean.

    luis123456 said: There is a thresold under which I consider resources should be free (with stock control OFC)

    Emphasis mine, as these are clearly your opinion only. Or are these Free* with string attached? Quite a few providers are willing to give me VPS for "free", although I have never considered them truly free.

    Blog at LowEndBox.com.

  • luis123456luis123456 Member
    edited August 2011

    I gotta say this to set this straight - this isn't a request, just a thought. I didn't said I wanted one in the last month either.

    Brandon_eNetSouth said: @luis -- Let me get this straight... Are you trying to state that if a provider is going to give away a free VPS then this should be the minimum? If not I apologize however, if this is the case it never ceases to amaze me just how (what word am I looking for here?) some people are.

    It's beyond cheap. Cheap is free but then asking that "free" item to be a certain spec?

    Pay for it like everyone else does so the provider can keep the lights on for another month. ;)

    That's a bare bones CPU/RAM/DS/BW ratio. Anything lower or higher is welcome.

    LowEndAdmin said: Emphasis mine, as these are clearly your opinion only. Or are these Free* with string attached? Quite a few providers are willing to give me VPS for "free", although I have never considered them truly free.

    This is vanilla discussion only, even with strings attached. I just thought of writing this, and even the specs are lower of what MyCpanel offers for free.

    I'm looking for a sponsored KVM VPS, but I'm not in a hurry. Just want to hear what you might offer to me
  • luis123456 said: This is vanilla discussion only, even with strings attached. I just thought of writing this, and even the specs are lower of what MyCpanel offers for free.

    That's the point, only THEY do that. Come back when you can tell me another that does, because they're getting bad rep on the other thread, and if a competitor actually exists, there might be a problem between them. =)

    When you find that perfect VPS, KEEP IT.

  • Zetta said: That's the point, only THEY do that. Come back when you can tell me another that does, because they're getting bad rep on the other thread, and if a competitor actually exists, there might be a problem between them. =)

    I would love for them to have a competitor.They can improve service that way.

    I'm looking for a sponsored KVM VPS, but I'm not in a hurry. Just want to hear what you might offer to me
  • ztecztec Member

    Seriously, who trusts a provider that hands out free VPS'? That just keeps amazing me, why would you even want it for free...

    Thanked by 1Boltersdriveer

    You can spam me with any yearly shared hosting deal.

  • I'm looking for a sponsored KVM VPS, but I'm not in a hurry. Just want to hear what you might offer to me
  • luis123456 said: I would love for them to have a competitor.They can improve service that way.

    Me too, I would hope THEY won't be so quick to cancel accounts every hour.

    When you find that perfect VPS, KEEP IT.

  • Wish someone would give me a free VPS. :)

    I'm really iffy on a service like this. I know what it costs me to roll out a box and, even with upgrades, it's hard to meet that bottom dollar figure. Plus seeing so many of those business so under in the past....

Sign In or Register to comment.