Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

yet another server monitor
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

yet another server monitor

For quite a while I've wanted to create an online monitoring solution for my servers.... so I did..

Currently it's pretty basic (and ugly) and only does cpu/ram/disk/network usage with alerts(ish).

While I'm actively working on it I wanted some feedback and some 'actual' usage so I can prioritize features, squash bugs and whatnot...

To that end I want about 10 people to try it out on their non-production machines and let me know what you think.

Of course it goes without saying that it is in a pre-alpha state, things will be broken and there is the possibility of a complete wipe with some feature-adds. The client is pure bash and you can go through it yourself to ensure nothing confidential is being sent..

If you're interested, send me a message with your email address and i'll send your details....

Thanks!

Comments

• Mr_TomMr_Tom Member, Host Rep

Can you give some more info on how it works please?

• sure, you can create a 'node' in the interface and it gives you a short command you can paste in your server to start sending data.

The client is just a bash script which collects a few stats and posts them to the collection server using curl.. The collection server does all the parsing and then you can view results in interface.... You are free to read the bash script before running it...

umm... let me try to get some pictures

• Oh, the installation just sets up a cron to run the script every minute. The script itself is super light and is not even noticeable on my raspberry pi.

• Mr_TomMr_Tom Member, Host Rep

Sounds similar to an idea I'd had about a monitoring system. Interested in hearing some more about it and your plans for the project.

• Publish it as OS? >> Github

• @huntercop said:
    Publish it as OS? >> Github

to be honest, i've thought about that quite a bit. If for whatever reason I am unable to continue actively developing it then I will... Until then i'm not quite ready to let go of the reins just yet

• HBAndreiHBAndrei Member, Top Host, Host Rep

ronaldgrn said: to be honest, i've thought about that quite a bit. If for whatever reason I am unable to continue actively developing it then I will... Until then i'm not quite ready to let go of the reins just yet

>

I think he meant just the agent script, which will have to be open source anyway if you want people to run it on their servers.

Thanked by 2Aidan ronaldgrn
  • I'm a faithful user of BotoX's server status implementation for years - do you know it?

https://github.com/BotoX/ServerStatus

He uses both python and bash (as an alternative); I love the simplicity and reliability of it but I do miss notification and stats - is that what you are going after?

• @HBAndrei said:

ronaldgrn said: to be honest, i've thought about that quite a bit. If for whatever reason I am unable to continue actively developing it then I will... Until then i'm not quite ready to let go of the reins just yet

>

I think he meant just the agent script, which will have to be open source anyway if you want people to run it on their servers.

Oh! my bad, will have that done and post a link later today

• @Devas said:
    I'm a faithful user of BotoX's server status implementation for years - do you know it?

https://github.com/BotoX/ServerStatus

He uses both python and bash (as an alternative); I love the simplicity and reliability of it but I do miss notification and stats - is that what you are going after?

Sort of... And i suppose there is this interface (https://postimg.cc/image/ttibcw59b/) which is kinda what you are looking for... but as said previously, pre-alpha, so not as functional as BotoX's

• ronaldgrnronaldgrn Member
    edited August 2018

As requested https://github.com/nodeferret/nodeferret-bash-agent

Still looking for a few more testers to put it through it's paces. Just msg me your email address [preferably gmail]