Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So, Iceland.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

So, Iceland.

LeeLee Veteran

Aside from EDIS are there any other reliable Iceland providers out there? Don't even need much 1 core, 256MB memory, 20Gb Disk space, any flavour of virtualisation.

Comments

• DomainBopDomainBop Member
    edited October 2013

Edis Iceland KVM is reliable but if you want to pay more :P 1984Hosting.com. There's also EcoDissident.net, OrangeWebsite.com, and X.is (all 4 Icelandic owned)

The 2 non-Icelandic ones, Internoc24 and Cinipac, aren't known for reliability in any of their locations

edited to be trendy:
    GreenCloud, also in Thor DC and Icelandic owned

Thanked by 2Lee perennate
  • jayziojayzio Member
    edited October 2013

http://icelandvps.com used to exist, but shut down a few months ago.
    You can try http://1984.is but it is very expensive, as Iceland in general is an expensive country. There is also http://urpad.com but they don't offer much bandwidth, again due to the location.
    Afaik there are no other solid providers that offer VPS in Iceland. :(

• LeeLee Veteran

@jayzio said:
    There is also http://urpad.com but they don't offer much bandwidth, again due to the location.

Don't visit or read much here huh? :P

Thanked by 1tux
  • typo, it's GreenQloud not GreenCloud

• @W1V_Lee said:
    Didn't realise. :p

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

What's the allure of Iceland? Just the privacy expectation?

Thanked by 1perennate
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited October 2013

@jbiloh said:
    Just the privacy expectation?

I realize americans that "have nothing to hide" have no issues with the government reading their "private" correspondence, however, for other people this is not acceptable. Besides, for companies that need to protect their trade secrets it is even paramount to be hosted in a free country where the law applies and economic espionage is not practiced by the government.

• @jbiloh said:
    What's the allure of Iceland? Just the privacy expectation?

Iceland's freedom of speech laws probably account for 98% of the demand. Iceland also has a historically lower risk of natural disasters than the US and UK, and both major data centers (ThorDC/Advania and Verne Global) use 100% "green" power and natural cooling which appeals to some people.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited October 2013

Iceland's freedom of speech laws probably account for 98% of the demand.

Just make sure you don't end up getting an Iceland VPS from an US company (like URpad was). And I believe e.g. with EDIS Iceland VPS you may still be under Austria jurisdiction, i.e. Austria police may force EDIS to wiretap your VPS in IS... At which point why not just get an Austria VPS in the first place.

• @DomainBop said:

Right, enviro and privacy laws are right on.. but what about peering and connectivity? Ubiquitous bandwidth and Iceland don't seem to go well in the same statement.

• @rm_ said:
    Just make sure you don't end up getting an Iceland VPS from an US company (like URpad was). And I believe e.g. with EDIS Iceland VPS you may still be under Austria jurisdiction, i.e. Austria police may force EDIS to wiretap your VPS in IS... At which point why not just get an Austria VPS in the first place.

No, Austrian police may not force a wiretap in IS - There is no legal base for this in Austrian law.

• LeeLee Veteran

Privacy is not on my list of interests in wanting services in iceland

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited October 2013

@volumedrive said:

Well, the convenience is the price to pay. When you are using Tor, for example, you trade speed for anonymity as well as other crap you have to put up with, such as sites that block you or Google putting a captcha.
    You can escape surveillance and reduce your contact with the authorities by buying a plot of land and living there a pioneer life, but who will do that until their life will be in danger and the government troops will really start the hunt of the "enemies" with real bullets and drones ?

• We have been looking at Iceland only because they seem to have the only truly green datacenter but prices are on the high side for our level of business or should I say hobby :)

EDIS looks like the only one worth considering but they would need to offer better disk space. We had a small server with them to test and found one of their support staff to be a bit confrontational but we could live with that.

Thanked by 1greentea
  • @solarman said:
    We have been looking at Iceland only because they seem to have the only truly green datacenter but prices are on the high side for our level of business or should I say hobby :)

EDIS looks like the only one worth considering but they would need to offer better disk space. We had a small server with them to test and found one of their support staff to be a bit confrontational but we could live with that.

EDIS is going to provide more disk space in the future. Maybe @William has an updated ETA?

• My question is when EDIS are going to do another special. I want to grab one of these, they look really good.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

My question is when EDIS are going to do another special. I want to grab one of these, they look really good.

EDIS specials never include any of the actual interesting locations, only all the boring ones.

• Yea... just wait 3 weeks, theres an Iceland special coming up... and it's not VRS :)

Thanked by 3emilv Lee connercg