Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can I sue my hosting provider?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Can I sue my hosting provider?

I recently bought a VPS. I will not name the hosting provider for God's sake I really wanna curse them.
What happened was I had a problem with windows 2012 activation.
Now to make it short, they asked me if they can install windows server 2016.
Without my approval they proceed with the installation so I lost everything.
Not so fortunately, I did a backup on my database and files 3 days ago.
But that 3 days is a lot for my business.
My clients gone mad and I lost more than half of them.
Am I the one to be blamed not answering them in fact it takes a day for them to answer.

Comments

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Yes, you may sue them.

Thanked by 2pike PrestigeWS
  • WSWDWSWD Member, Host Rep

Let me guess...you're paying like $5/mo. for the VPS, but probably lost millions of dollars an hour, right?

• ActavusActavus Member
    edited August 2018

Sue if you must.
    Your customers could care less if you sue.
    You're still left with angry customers, along with an angry you.

• pikepike Veteran

I join team #suethem

• @WSWD said:
    Let me guess...you're paying like $5/mo. for the VPS, but probably lost millions of dollars an hour, right?

Actually its $21,
    but how can I if they are located outside US or my country?

Thanked by 1maldovia
  • mkshmksh Member
    edited August 2018

@babyhon said:

@WSWD said:

>

Actually its $21,
    but how can I if they are located outside US or my country?

Easy, you pay a lawyer in their country. Should be really obvious considering there is a whole $21 on the line.

• Well I just want to express my frustrations anyway, I know for the fact that suing takes time and money.

When you hire a lawyer to file the suit, tell him that his fee will be deducted from money you gain from winning the suit.

You have a rock solid case, so you will win. Sue them for 1000x of your damage which is 21,000 dollars.

Keep us updated.

• The end is nigh

edited August 2018

Do note that some lawyers may refuse to talk to you.

You need to find a young, inexperienced, lawyer who will want an opportunity to prove himself.

• mkshmksh Member

@deank said:
    When you hire a lawyer to file the suit, tell him that his fee will be deducted from money you gain from winning the suit.

You have a rock solid case, so you will win. Sue them for 1000x of your damage which is 21,000 dollars.

Keep us updated.

Lets just hope it's possible to sue for arbitrary sums whereever his provider is located. Suing for the massive amount of $21 would be a bit anticlimactic.

• Thanks for your comments guys. At least it lessens my frustrations.

Easy.

Claim mental damage. He could claim that he cried himself to sleep and had to beat his girlfriend to vent stress and raped his dog.

Such damage can easily 100x any claim.

The last 10x damage claim could come from his girlfriend joining the suit.

Thanked by 2PrestigeWS Janevski
  • mkshmksh Member

@deank said:
    Easy.

Claim mental damage.

Yep, that should work.

Thanked by 1PrestigeWS
  • I was about to do those things

A famous person once said this.

"You Liao only once."

You must go for it when you have the chance because that chance may never come again.

• Are you kidding?
    He lost 488,757.62 Vietnamese Dong.

By all means sue them.

• mkshmksh Member
    edited August 2018

@babyhon said:
    I was about to do those things

Good. How about adding discrimination too? You seem to be from a different country than your host. Think about it. Maybe they did it on purpose? You might just be another filthy foreigner to them.

Thanked by 1Janevski

Being in a different country is even better because they cannot (well harder) to send thugs after you.

Go for it; you liao only once.

Thanked by 2hostdare Janevski
  • hostdarehostdare Member, Patron Provider

This thread is interesting

Thanked by 1iloveasia
  • We want a meme on this @deank

Thanked by 1saibal
  • Correct, well they provided free extension on my server for compensation. I guess I cannot waste few of my time left trying to sue them but start from where can I start and move on.

• JunJun Member

I'm curious how the law actually works here. For example, if I run a million dollar business website on $20/mo server and the provider wipes my server without my consent, leading to 1/2 million dollar value loss, up to how much of the damage is the provider liable for the damage? Sure, no sane business would host a million dollar business on $20 server, but just as an example. None if the SLA doesn't cover the secondary content-wise damage? Up to the money I paid for the server($20 x months I used)? Certain percentage of the total provable loss? If latter is the case, it would be scary to run a server hosting business if you don't know how much value your customers hold on your hardware.

• exactly, I wish we have someone who knows more about the law, but I guess a lawyer would not waste time registering on this type of forum.

• @babyhon said:
    exactly, I wish we have someone who knows more about the law, but I guess a lawyer would not waste time registering on this type of forum.

LET laws are on your side.

Thanked by 1WSWD
    edited August 2018

The lawyer you want is those near you in local. The lawyers you want avoid is armchair lawyers on internet.

You may have chalked off my posts, but those do apply.

Thanked by 1Tom
  • hostdarehostdare Member, Patron Provider

@Jun said:

most or all hosting companies SLA does not cover losses to your customers .

• Just ask them for a full year for free to cover the damanges..