Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Proxmox vs OpenStack vs OpenNebula
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Proxmox vs OpenStack vs OpenNebula

v3ngv3ng Member, Patron Provider
edited August 2018 in Help

Hi,

I am currently using OpenNebula for my private environment to virtualize VMs.
Now I have noticed some things that bother me, e.g. frequent bugs, so I would like to take a closer look at the alternatives.

What is particularly important for me is a fast deployment of VMs, which can be adapted in terms of network and host name, e.g. using CloudInit, so that no manual intervention is necessary to get the VM up and running and to provide it with a functional network connection. Or even executing own scripts after the first boot of the VM.

I used Proxmox some time ago, recently the CloudInit functionality was integrated here.
Unfortunately, an IP management system that checks for free IPs in predefined pools and automatically assigns them to the VM is completely missing here. I would rather not use a detour via DHCP. Furthermore, the CloudInit integration can currently only be used to a very limited extent, as only a few of the variables are integrated in Proxmox.

Another alternative would be OpenStack, but here I am currently wondering how complex the environment is and whether it would be suitable for my single server environment at all. However, most of my desired features would be integrated here as far as I know.

Has anyone here ever worked with the systems mentioned and can help me to decide on one of the solutions or even find a better one?

Cheers

Comments

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

OpenStack is not oriented for single server deployments.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

What bugs do you get when using OpenNebula? I've had generally positive experience with it.

Additionally, with IP management features and simplicity.. Just pick up solusvm/virtualizor license and run KVM. It will work out of the box, easy to set up and should do the trick for fast deployment of VMs and easy management.

• v3ngv3ng Member, Patron Provider

@AlexBarakov said:
    What bugs do you get when using OpenNebula? I've had generally positive experience with it.

Additionally, with IP management features and simplicity.. Just pick up solusvm/virtualizor license and run KVM. It will work out of the box, easy to set up and should do the trick for fast deployment of VMs and easy management.

Mostly frontend issues, but take a look at their github issues page, looks like they don’t do enough testing before releasing a new version.

Regarding solusvm/virtualizor I’d prefer to stick with an open source/ free product.

• edited August 2018

Have you tried xenserverr ? I loaded it up on my Herz dedicated server. Got a little impatient and installed winshit2016. But thinking of either back to proxmox or xenseever or xenproject.

I saw virtualizor yesterday. Looks damn kickass. 9 bucks for unlimited server and VPS is a great deal.

• elliotwilliams said: 9 bucks for unlimited server and VPS is a great deal.

Just to clarify things, $9 is for unlimited vps in a single server. You did see that, didn't you?

Thanked by 1elliotwilliams
  • I've been using oVirt a lot lately. May not be what you are looking for but you might be interested.

• @xBytez said:
    I've been using oVirt a lot lately. May not be what you are looking for but you might be interested.

It's okay, although rather heavy at times, also I'd be very careful with the hosted engine mode as it's extremely possible to get it into a funny state where it doesn't seem to know which of the nodes it's running on.

I think I‘ll just give Proxmox another try.
    Is anyone of you using the new cloudinit integration?

• letboxletbox Member, Patron Provider

@v3ng said:

We do.

@key900 said:

@v3ng said:

We do.

How well does it work?

• Out of the 3, Opennebula really does provide the best overall experience, and it supports cloud-init out-of-the-box.

Openstack is...ugh and the bugs are far worse. Not to mention you need a minimum of 9 servers and it still doesn't automatically fail over VMs. I see zero reasons to openstack ever again.

Proxmox is powerful and easy to setup etc, but everything is "proxmox" proprietary, and all of the core code is Perl...more eww. They wrote their own integration for everything. They even have a custom API to KVM, and docker containers, and from what I understand the docker containers part is again proprietary and is buggy.

@Josephd said:
    Out of the 3, Opennebula really does provide the best overall experience, and it supports cloud-init out-of-the-box.

Openstack is...ugh and the bugs are far worse. Not to mention you need a minimum of 9 servers and it still doesn't automatically fail over VMs. I see zero reasons to openstack ever again.

Proxmox is powerful and easy to setup etc, but everything is "proxmox" proprietary, and all of the core code is Perl...more eww. They wrote their own integration for everything. They even have a custom API to KVM, and docker containers, and from what I understand the docker containers part is again proprietary and is buggy.

I'm using OpenNebula for about a year and yea, fast deployment is awesome, but I have also experienced a lot of bugs and I'm missing a proper backup solution, like the one integrated in proxmox.
    And I'm not really a fan of their XML RPC API.

So I'm currently trying to decide between OpenNebula and Proxmox.

• letboxletbox Member, Patron Provider

@v3ng said:

@key900 said:

@v3ng said:

We do.

How well does it work?

They are pretty good just small issue with root access and SSH Key or it can be from proxmox not quite sure.

• @v3ng said:

@Josephd said:
    Out of the 3, Opennebula really does provide the best overall experience, and it supports cloud-init out-of-the-box.

I'm using OpenNebula for about a year and yea, fast deployment is awesome, but I have also experienced a lot of bugs and I'm missing a proper backup solution, like the one integrated in proxmox.
    And I'm not really a fan of their XML RPC API.

So I'm currently trying to decide between OpenNebula and Proxmox.

All good, I was just offering some advice. My professional career has been mainly cloud architectures, and designing them for service providers or fortune 100 companies.

If you're experiencing a buggy Opennebula you definitely shouldn't.

Opennebula has a low cost enterprise supported solution. That would takes care of those bugs, and is based on standard technologies so it will interface better with mainstream orchestrators and other tools you might want to use. Whatever it is, it probably won't work with Proxmox unfortunately.

Proxmox community is prone to bugs that won't get pushes for weeks, and you have to switch to the testing repo to fix them faster which is even more frequently unstable.
    Any feature you want in cloud, you have to wait on them to implement.

But Proxmox Enterprise Version is rock solid and very stable just the same as Opennebula Enterprise.

I think what I'm saying is neither of the free versions are reliable.

And that leaves you choosing between proprietary and standardized tech.

Backups are better achieving leverage at the storage layer of the cloud stack.

But to start recommendations there, I would need to know:

- What disk configuration are you planning  

- HA requirements

- Budget would help me aim better

- Overall purpose of the setup

Good luck in either path you choose.

• @Josephd said:
    ...Proxmox is powerful and easy to setup etc, but everything is "proxmox" proprietary, and all of the core code is Perl...more eww. They wrote their own integration for everything. They even have a custom API to KVM, and docker containers, and from what I understand the docker containers part is again proprietary and is buggy.

Concerning Proxmox & Docker, you are wrong. It seems to me those proxmox-devs trully hate docker and resist any pressure from users to include support for it (no matter how much they ask for it). Proxmox is interesting product, but dev-team is really stubborn. Just few examples (in addition to the above mentioned docker antagonism):

time-zone: no, you must not freely select time-zone for your pve-server, only from the sub-set devs pre-selected. Nothing like utc/gmt, that's heresy! Just pick location, and they select timezone for you.

ports: no, you must not change default web/ssh-ports! It makes no sense (they say), does not help to anything, so it is not permitted, period.

stats: yes, proxmox must write stat-info to disk every 3 seconds (and no, it can not send stat to syslog, because you could forward it to log-collector). And we, proxmox-devs, do not take care of your ssd write-ops being exhausted just after a few months. That's your problem, buy different ssd! Etc, etc.

• DETioDETio Member
    edited August 2018

As everyone else mentioned,

OpenNebula is quite a solid solution that provides an all in ONE implementation of Cloud Deployment and Management.

OpenNebula is by far the simplest to deploy and get started without making mistakes and still being able to configure the tools you would like to use to operate your cloud.

OpenStack comes with more functionality, for examples more Hypervisor Connectors - but in the same time the Group C connections are not production ready / stable - they have a Group A (KVM/QEMU), Group B (Hyper-V, VMWare, XenServer, Xen via libvirt), Group C (Bare-Metal, Docker Containers, & LXC)

OpenNebula on the other hand supports the following:

KVM
    VMWare vCenter
    Xen (Supports 5.0)
    LXC/LXD

As you can see, OpenStack has much more connections - it has a wider community, and has lots of vendors - such as HP, Ubuntu, etc.

OpenNebula on the other hand provides a stable and proven system that you can use to rapidly build a cloud with decent functionality - OpenNebula is recommended if you prefer an easier to use environment, where-as OpenStack is recommended if you prefer to deploy something that is entirely configurable. OpenStack relies on different stacks of software which are interchangeable.

We've done a lot of research into both platforms and the reason we support both for VirtEngine, our software abstracts a layer an provides users with the ability to provision Virtual Private Cloud Envrionments in OpenStack/OpenNebula - which gives them direct access to either software in order to manage their VPC and provision instances. They can also automate the provisioning of applications through our service store. While our software takes care of billing & management.

Thanked by 1Ma907xb
  • LeviLevi Member

xBytez said: I've been using oVirt a lot lately. May not be what you are looking for but you might be interested.

Provide more information on that topic. Any serious problems with oVirt?