Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What VPS/Dedicated server provider do you recommend for Plex?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What VPS/Dedicated server provider do you recommend for Plex?

Recently I've been looking at buying a VPS/Dedi just to run a Plex server (with 1 Transcode) as I'm currently in need with a replacement for my current storage server as it's rarely used and isn't cost effective.

My budget is less than $10 a month and is hosted in Europe (or has good connectivity to Talk talk - UK)

The lowest amount of storage I'm looking for is 250gb but preferably 500GB+.

Comments

• huntercophuntercop Member
    edited August 2018

Depends on your location. I could not get Kimsufi to be fast enough and reliable for the US since the France server connection was not fast enough with the distance. For Europe, tons of options. For US, very limited..

One provider also has a bunch of options globally, may want to track them for a deal as they always have stuff on Black Friday, which is not too far around the corner.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

I’ve pulled this off with a KS-2 (KS-1 back in the day), you might have the odd problem, but for the money you want to spend, I don’t see that you’ve got much choice.

• Would France Or London be good enough?

Also is this a request or just looking for recommendations?

• @HostDoc said:
    Would France Or London be good enough?

Both really

• Prime404Prime404 Member
    edited August 2018

Hetzner auction servers maybe? The Haswell Xeon and i7 range is quite affordable for what you get, as well as the amount of storage being quite decent for the price.

• I use Kimsufi for Plex on the East coast U.S. with no problems.

• @wilbo said:
    I use Kimsufi for Plex on the East coast U.S. with no problems.

What plan?

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@Jake4 said:

@wilbo said:

What plan?

You can’t afford anything more than a KS-2 with your budget.

• @Jake4 said:

@HostDoc said:

Both really

Well, I can provide a custom plan of 2 cores, 250GB Storage (300GB France), 3GB RAM in both locations for £9.99/m if that is any good? Includes a 7 day refund guarantee so you can be sure it meets your needs before committing.

• Prime404Prime404 Member
    edited August 2018

Now when I think about it, 10 USD is close to 7.99 euros and that is about what you would pay for a Contabo VPS M SSD. That is more than enough for Plex as I've tried it out myself for the exact purpose and it works great for it.

https://contabo.com/?show=vps

• Jake4Jake4 Member
    edited August 2018

@Nekki said:

@Jake4 said:

@wilbo said:

What plan?

You can’t afford anything more than a KS-2 with your budget.

How often does it come in-stock? Whenever I previously checked kimsufi never in-stock.

@Prime404 said:
    Now when I think about it, 10 USD is close to 7.99 euros and that is about what you would pay for a Contabo VPS M SSD. That is more than enough for Plex as I've tried it out myself for the exact purpose and it works great for it.

https://contabo.com/?show=vps

Do they allow running Plex servers? And do you think it'll be able to do 1 transcode with it?

@HostDoc said:

@Jake4 said:

@HostDoc said:

Both really

Well, I can provide a custom plan of 2 cores, 250GB Storage (300GB France), 3GB RAM in both locations for £9.99/m if that is any good? Includes a 7 day refund guarantee so you can be sure it meets your needs before committing.

Would this be able to transcode 1 video without any problems?

• @Jake4 said:

@HostDoc said:

@Jake4 said:

@HostDoc said:

Both really

1 Video? You will be able to transcode several without issue I believe.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@HostDoc said:

@Jake4 said:

@HostDoc said:

@Jake4 said:

@HostDoc said:

Both really

You’re happy with him to hammer the cores as often as he needs?

• @Nekki said:

@HostDoc said:

@Jake4 said:

@HostDoc said:

@Jake4 said:

@HostDoc said:

Both really

You’re happy with him to hammer the cores as often as he needs?

It will actually be on one of our VDS servers with dedicated resources so he can hammer his cores 24/7 365 all the way into the ground. It will have 0 effect on any other VM's.

• wilbowilbo Member
    edited August 2018

@Jake4 said:

@wilbo said:

What plan?

I have a KS-10 that I got when they had a KS-7 sale. They gave me an i5 instead. 9.99 Euros a month. I'm never letting it go. Gonna leave it to my heirs when I die.

• If not in a hurry I suggest to wait for the next Kimsufi flash sale (Black Friday or probably before) and hopefully you'll get one server at your desired budget. Last year I got a KS-7 at 10.8 USD which works fine as Plex server.