Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ChicagoVPS experience
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ChicagoVPS experience

lamarallamaral Member
edited February 2012 in General

I'm here to let everyone know what is happening with ChicagoVPS services. I got two containers on the node 28. This month, I had three issues with the containers. Two of them lasted about 1 hour each. The last outage, began two hours ago and is still there. I have sent a a ticket and until now, I have no answer.

Comments

• This is not WebHostingTalk, why not be patient and wait your turn for a ticket response.

• I think that it's not a good idea to sit down and wait for a response, when you have your clients without service too.

• @lamaral said: I think that it's not a good idea to sit down and wait for a response, when you have your clients without service too.

You must be one of those "I'm losing millions of dollars per email" folks. If your business is that critical what is it doing on a LEB? Why do you not have HA setup? Outages happen, and providers deal with it, but you seem to think running to a public forum to bitch is more productive than having a proper setup to begin with, instead you bought the cheapest thing you could find then jump up and down like a 2 year old in the candy isle at the grocery store when things don't go your way for the shortest period of time. 2 hours? You are expecting what the community here seems to agree is a response in less than 24 hours, that is the acceptable time frame for a response from a LEB provider, if they respond quicker, feel lucky, but running here to bitch? Get realistic.

Thanked by 1Mon5t3r
  • @miTgiB Did I mention that I'm loosing millions of dollars? I'm just saying that my server are out for the third time this month and I don't get answer. Outages happen, but when they become a common thing, it's not that good. I'm here just to show that I'm having a lot of outages on the server and every time they say that the node has an abuser on it. I don't get a true business on the boxes, just friends that give me some bucks to host their website on it.

• You mean to say that hostigation is not for critical business as well?

@miTgiB said: You must be one of those "I'm losing millions of dollars per email" folks. If your business is that critical what is it doing on a LEB?

• If it's only been a couple of hours; please give them some time.

LEB providers try their best to provide a good service at a great price; if you can cut them some slack, they can continue to provide service at great prices.

• @kiloserve I just posted here, because looks like that about two hours of outage and they haven't posted nothing about it on the Facebook or Twitter. The other two outages they said that were because of abusers on the node. Every week they get abusers on their servers?

• @vampireJ said: You mean to say that hostigation is not for critical business as well?

I do not hide the fact I work solo, and I provide the service on a best effort basis, if your business can handle that, great, if not, I am not hiding or claiming anything I am not prepared to deliver on, but I do sleep like every human so those hours I might not hear my phone page me if something goes down.

• @lamaral

Chris posts here pretty often so I'm sure he'll get back to you.

I have a ChicagoVPS 2GB deal and it's been up for 73 days so it seems maybe only some nodes have issues.

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • lamarallamaral Member
    edited February 2012

@kiloserve I have a 2GB deal on the node 28 and another on the node 36. The one of the node 36 is about to complete 1 month and it's pretty well, but the one on the node 28... It's another boring history. I would be happy if they move me away from node 28.

• Methinks that Chris is going to become disheartened quickly, if he keeps having to put up with goofiness like this...

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • Is it me or is ChicagoVPS getting worse and worse.

• @Daniel said: Is it me or is ChicagoVPS getting worse and worse.

I think it's because he has a lot of customers at the moment... but seriously the ratio between customers actually complaining and others who are quiet/somewhat satisfied is probably 1 complaints to 100 satisfied.

There's only been 3 people who said anything, and he has 20+ nodes filled. So I think ChicagoVPS is doing a decent job.

• yomeroyomero Member
    edited February 2012

Same as @mitgib, and is the CLASSIC response, if you have clients why the heck you don't have HA or a premium server like linode or rackspace.

Your cllients don't generate you some extra bucks for this? Come on, that isn't business.

Thanked by 1sumeshpremraj
  • flyfly Member
    edited February 2012

i think its just that since it's $7 dollars, it attracts a LOT of customers, some of whom are really bitchy and are willing to post on public forums about their 2 hours of downtime at 5am in the morning on saturday.

it doesn't necessarily mean the service is going down or anything.

and yeah dude if you're actually making money, man up and pay some money.

• @yomero said: if you have clients why the heck you don't have HA or a premium server like linode or rackspace.

@kbar said: and yeah dude if you're actually making money, man up and pay some money.

These guys are speaking nothing but the brutal truth; I co-sign with them wholeheartedly.

• CVPS_ChrisCVPS_Chris Member, Patron Provider
    edited February 2012

@AsuraHosting said: I think it's because he has a lot of customers at the moment... but seriously the ratio between customers actually complaining and others who are quiet/somewhat satisfied is probably 1 complaints to 100 satisfied.

There's only been 3 people who said anything, and he has 20+ nodes filled. So I think ChicagoVPS is doing a decent job.

Asura are very right on. Our customer base is getting larger and larger so issues like this will happen. I have no record of downtime for Chicago 28 node. Without knowing the OP's name I cannot verify the ticket he is talking about :(

However, I looked at the ticketing system and see no unanswered tickets about downtime.

@Damian said: Methinks that Chris is going to become disheartened quickly, if he keeps having to put up with goofiness like this...

@Damian, its ok. I have discovered that this will happen as we get bigger and I just have to keep my head up knowing that in my mind we do a pretty damn good job.

I would like to disagree on this just a little about people not being able to put production stuff on our service. I think our service is as sound as what you would call "premium providers". We did not have a downtime on this node ( that Im aware of, I have checked out cacti and pingdom reports ). If I knew the ticket I could offer more insight.

• Unanswered downtime of 1-2 hours is pretty normal here. Having ~4 hours downtime in a month is acceptable imho. If you want 99.99(999...)% uptime you have to be ready to pay, you can expect it for <$7/m, you can only hope for it.

Anyway, keep us posted.

I stand corrected, after doing some research Chicago 28 has been having memory leak issues spiking the memory and shutting down VPS's. We are looking into ways to fix this.

Any suggestions or anyone that has encountered this?

• lamarallamaral Member
    edited February 2012

@kbar You tell about the time, if you are on GMT-3, you do not want to have a website offline in the evening and by the way, they have 24/7 support, so, time is not a problem.

@AsuraHosting So you sign too that if somebody want a reliable service your company isn't good for him, because for this price you don't have the obligation to give a quality service.

@vedran The website tells that they have 99.9% uptime guarantee. I had 4 hours of downtime until now, but by what is happening until now...

@CVPS_Chris Thank you for fixing the problem. I hope that the little bit of slowness I was facing some days ago is gone together with the memory leak.

@everybody
    You can say what you want about paying a HA and other stuffs, but as a client and having problems, I think I have the right to write where I want and what I want.

• lamarallamaral Member
    edited February 2012

@CVPS_Chris More memory leak? My VPS is down one more time. Is it possible to move me from this node?

• @lamaral said: So you sign too that if somebody want a reliable service your company isn't good for him, because for this price you don't have the obligation to give a quality service.

What I am saying is this... if you have something that you consider as important, and can not afford to sustain any type of downtime; you should be looking for a service that is advertised or known as a premium service.

You simply can not expect to buy a lowendbox and use it to sell reliable webhosting to your clients... this is not what the typical LEB is used for. You are cutting your clients short by doing this.

• @lamaral said: The website tells that they have 99.9% uptime guarantee. I had 4 hours of downtime until now, but by what is happening until now...

Or what? Without SLA that means nothing.

Of course you have the right to say what's happening, but you opened a ticket at, what, 6am on Saturday? 24/7 support is expensive, not many LEB providers have that even if they say they do. I'm just telling you what to expect.

@lamaral, we plan on getting as many people off this node as possible.

Thanks,

Chris

• @AsuraHosting I do not have clients. I just host mine websites and some friends websites. Isn't good to have the websites offline.

@vedran If you write on the company's website that the support is 24/7, the client has the right to have support 24/7. It was 6am for you, for me it's 11am. By the way, 24/7 support, doesn't matter it was 6am, 3am, 11pm.

@lamaral Thank you very much Chris!

• @lamaral said: I do not have clients. I just host mine websites and some friends websites. Isn't good to have the websites offline.

Well, if they're paying you... I would say they are clients =\; Anyways, best of luck to you... hope everything gets sorted out.

• @AsuraHosting Thank you. I think Chris is doing his best to solve this issue.

I'm not here to make enemies, just to let everyone know what happened and how it is being handled. My box on the node 36 is perfect. I never had problems with it. ChicagoVPS is a very good company and like every company it have some issues. What changes, is the way the issues are handled. And by what I'm seeing, it is being done very well!

• @lamaral said: If you write on the company's website that the support is 24/7, the client has the right to have support 24/7. It was 6am for you, for me it's 11am. By the way, 24/7 support, doesn't matter it was 6am, 3am, 11pm

You have the right to what's written in the contract between you and the company. Anything written on the website is just marketing, it's not in any way obliging (except perhaps morally). Btw, their website actually says they're offering 24/7 live chat support, have you tried that?

• @vedran The problem is already being solved. I have just talked to them.

• That's good @lamaral, but I'm just telling you what you can and can't expect, it's nothing personal against you or ChicagoVPS (which I have no direct experience with but from what I can see their service it decent).

If you don't want a discussion about this than you shouldn't have brought it to the public forum.