Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Java applet will not run for console
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Java applet will not run for console

MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Hello !

I have this pesky problem, on some java versions it will refuse to run unsigned solus console applet, any java gurus here knows how to disable the security manager in java ?

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

What you will need to do is run scan disk, defrag your hard drive, and then try again in 45 minutes. Before I let you go I just want you to know that AOL has arranged for you to receive $25 in free shopping money just for trying AOL's netmarket. If you will hold on the line for about 30 seconds an operator will give you more details. Once again my name is Jarland and thank you for calling America Online technical support.

Best I can do.

Thanked by 1jimpop
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@jarland said:
    What you will need to do is run scan disk, defrag your hard drive, and then try again in 45 minutes. Before I let you go I just want you to know that AOL has arranged for you to receive $25 in free shopping money just for trying AOL's netmarket. If you will hold on the line for about 30 seconds an operator will give you more details. Once again my name is Jarland and thank you for calling America Online technical support.

Best I can do.

You working for AOL now ? :o

It's like post traumatic support syndrome. Everything reminds me of my first job...

Thanked by 1Abdussamad
  • @Maounique Haha! I remember telling you the same a while ago. It's pretty worse in mac, the message box gets hung up, have to forcibly kill the "Java". (Using v45)....

• Go to the Java Control Panel and configure the security settings. That should fix it.

Yeah, I could understand that in proxmox which is an OS product, tho it is supposed to have some support also, but in Solus this is ridiculous.

@concerto49 said:
    Go to the Java Control Panel and configure the security settings. That should fix it.

Yes did that with mixed results. I appeared to be working but then stopped again. I suppose I can downgrade java, but that will be hard to explain to the customers...

• @jarland:

Are you implying that Java applets are obsolete technology? Something from the late 90s. Because if you are I agree with you!

Thanked by 2jar jimpop
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited October 2013

I got the same problem, my main pc with newst java dosent also work with SolusVM console: The second pc with old java version dose work. if you want i can tell you the number of the old java version.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

I seem to remember having similar problems a while ago, in the end regardless of what everything suggested was the problem the fix was actually to open internet explorer and un-tick offline mode from the file menu.... yes I know.... no I really do know, as java takes all its setting from IE even if you have never used it even once in the history of man kind.

@AnthonySmith said:
    I seem to remember having similar problems a while ago, in the end regardless of what everything suggested was the problem the fix was actually to open internet explorer and un-tick offline mode from the file menu.... yes I know.... no I really do know, as java takes all its setting from IE even if you have never used it even once in the history of man kind.

Now I gotta clean up the dr pepper I just spit everywhere. That's funny stuff.

Unfortunately, while IE does have the ability to control the jre, the lowest settings still forbid running unsigned code.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

maybe try shouting at it?

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited October 2013

Uninstall IE from your system maybe fix it? maybe they use firefox then :D

edited October 2013

@AnthonySmith said:
    maybe try shouting at it?

I even slapped it in the face, came back smiling at me with missing teeth, dont want to repeat the experience.

@Infinity580 said:
    Uninstall IE from your system maybe fix it? maybe they use firefox then :D

Well, debian doesnt have IE, but it still does not work.

• The obvious fix that should work for most use cases would be to open a ticket with SolusLabs and ask them to buy a code signing certificate and sign their damn applet. Maybe if enough people open a ticket and ask for the same thing they would consider doing it?

Heck, I would give them one or buy for them, however, it seems they run an OS applet, their coders barely know their own code, signing an java applet might be too much.

Thanked by 1rds100
  • Then get a certificate and sign the applet yourself :)

edited October 2013

After they hire me, I will :P
    Hopefully, enough pople will demand action from them and they will do just that :P

• Btw in /usr/local/solusvm/www/java/sshterm-applet i see:

instructions.htm
    LICENSE
    sshterm-applet.htm
    SSHTermApplet-jdk1.3.1-dependencies-signed.jar
    SSHTermApplet-jdkbug-workaround-signed.jar
    SSHTermApplet-signed.jar
    SSHTools-small-logo2.gif

The filenames suggest it should be signed, no idea why it isn't accepted as such/

Well, the error says clearly it is signed (in the filename) but also says something about unsigned entry. I am not a java guru, probably they left some easter egg in :P

• @Maounique said:
    After they hire me, I will :P
    Hopefully, enough pople will demand action from them and they will do just that :P

I don't think you would want to have "SolusLabs" as employer in your CV :) That would be a major step back, after @prometeus :)

Haha, no, i mean for this job only :) I am doing a lot of things here for friends, my payment unit is a big shawrma or however you write it, I also use it as a bet when they say I am not right when I tell them what they did wrong. If I were to hold them on that, I would have been obese.