Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SoYouStart's 569.59kB/s download speed in Storage Server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SoYouStart's 569.59kB/s download speed in Storage Server

desfiredesfire Member
edited August 2018 in General

So I bought last month a 6TB storage server at SYS, I have only issued yet to upload content, however, I tried today to download a 1.3GB file from it and its download speed does not even hit 1Mb/s, it says it will take 1 hour to complete a 1.3GB file, imagine restoring a whole server. They guarantee 250mb/s, what can I do?

Comments

• Did you happen to try their test file for Canada before buying?

http://proof.ovh.ca/files/1Gio.dat

• FoulFoul Member
    edited August 2018

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/146114/new-soyoustart-2018-prices/p8

Did you change the kernel?

Where are you downloading from..

What's your ping to it?

Many factors.

• YuraYura Member
    edited August 2018

Don't you love it when a 1 day user joins in to scream SCAM towards a huge provider like OVH? Before trying to figure out what really is going on or telling if/when said user raised a support ticket with the provider?

Thanked by 1simonindia
  • FoulFoul Member

Yura said: Don't you love it when a 1 day user joins in to scream SCAM towards a huge provider like OVH?

I do bb /catfistbump

Thanked by 1Yura
  • desfiredesfire Member
    edited August 2018

@Yura said:
    Don't you love it when a 1 day user joins in to scream SCAM towards a huge provider like OVH?

I joined this forum yesterday I have always been a good observer and yes, it is, if you buy a server with 250MB/s download link and once you test it its 569.59kB/s... pretty much looks like scam to me, they are not offering what they promoted, do not get me wrong, I like SYS, my essential server works really well and zero issues but just thinking that I could have needed to restore one site backup and it would have taken ages..

• @Foul said:
    https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/146114/new-soyoustart-2018-prices/p8

Did you change the kernel?

Where are you downloading from..

What's your ping to it?

Many factors.

Tried, but this is what I get:

root@deleted:~# apt install linux-image-4.9.0-6-armmp linux-headers-4.9.0-6-armmp
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    E: Unable to locate package linux-image-4.9.0-6-armmp
    E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'linux-image-4.9.0-6-armmp'
    E: Unable to locate package linux-headers-4.9.0-6-armmp
    E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'linux-headers-4.9.0-6-armmp'
    root@deleted:~#

• YuraYura Member

@desfire said:

@Yura said:
    Don't you love it when a 1 day user joins in to scream SCAM towards a huge provider like OVH?

I joined this forum yesterday I have always been a good observer and yes, it is, if you buy a server when 250MB/s download link and once you test it its 569.59kB/s... pretty much looks like scam to me, they are not offering what they promoted, do not get me wrong, I like SYS, my essential server works really well and zero issues but just thinking that I could have needed to restore one site backup and it would have taken ages..

Yes, the truth is they are a huge financial pyramid set up to scam you personally. Or you should actually understand what people told you in your previous thread and see how to fix your server.

Thanked by 2inthecloudblog Lee
  • @PcJamesy said:
    Did you happen to try their test file for Canada before buying?

http://proof.ovh.ca/files/1Gio.dat

I have one essential server with them in Canada, it works really well that it why I did not test the test file since I already tested it myself with the server

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited August 2018
    1. Go read this entire thread, as this is already documented to some extent and how to fix it
    2. The server only has 2 x 1Ghz cores, so using something that relies on SSH/Encryption that doesn't leverage the AES engine will result in being quite slow as there is not enough CPU available for the encryption and transfer at a high rate
    3. The fastest transfers will be had on the 4.5.2 kernel and using FTP (without encryption) as this doesn't have CPU overhead for encryption
    4. It's OVH and its on a shared network with all the other boxes, while 569kb/sec is quite slow and likely caused by the kernel you are using (read thread) general speeds will likely be at about 100Mbit because of the constant abuse of the network which they are all connected to (shared switches) and the QoS on their switches kicks in when it become over-saturated (which seems to be quite often now).

You can easily push the 250Mbit using an unecnrypted method on the OVH network and likely in EU/CA depending on the location of the server but most international threads seem to peak at around 10-12M/sec in my testing which should be more than reasonable for such a server.

To be honest, these really should be used more for long term storage than for torrent boxes as the CPU in them just isn't made to do all the extra tasks some people want to throw at it and still provide reasonable throughput over an encrypted medium. It would be best used as a CDN location or for long term back-ups or archives where most of the work being done is just reading data back off the drive.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

• desfiredesfire Member
    edited August 2018

@TheLinuxBug said:
    1. Go read this entire thread, as this is already documented to some extent and how to fix it

2. The server only has 2 x 1Ghz cores, so using something that relies on SSH/Encryption that doesn't leverage the AES engine will result in being quite slow as there is not enough CPU available for the encryption and transfer at a high rate

3. The fastest transfers will be had on the 4.5.2 kernel and using FTP (without encryption) as this doesn't have CPU overhead for encryption

4. It's OVH and its on a shared network with all the other boxes, while 569kb/sec is quite slow and likely caused by the kernel you are using (read thread) general speeds will likely be at about 100Mbit because of the constant abuse of the network which they are all connected to (shared switches) and the QoS on their switches kicks in when it become over-saturated (which seems to be quite often now).

You can easily push the 250Mbit using an unecnrypted method on the OVH network and likely in EU/CA depending on the location of the server but most international threads seem to peak at around 12-12M/sec in my testing which should be more that reasonable for such a server.

To be honest, these really should be used more for long term storage than for torrent boxes as the CPU in them just isn't made to do all the extra tasks some people want to throw at it and still provide reasonable throughput over an encrypted medium. It would be best used as a CDN location or for long term back-ups or archives where most of the work being done is just reading data back off the drive.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

I read the whole thread and still, does not work for me :
    E: Unable to locate package linux-image-4.9.0-6-armmp
    E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'linux-image-4.9.0-6-armmp'
    E: Unable to locate package linux-headers-4.9.0-6-armmp
    E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'linux-headers-4.9.0-6-armmp'

And I do not use it for torrent! It is for incremental websites backups

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

These SYS ARM servers can do at least 15MB/s with rsync -e ssh with kernel 4.5.2-armada375.

I'm sure they could go higher, but I have the rsync artificially limited as to not saturate the link on the servers I'm uploading from.

Thanked by 1TheLinuxBug
  • desfire said: I read the whole thread and still, does not work for me : E: Unable to locate package linux-image-4.9.0-6-armmp E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'linux-image-4.9.0-6-armmp' E: Unable to locate package linux-headers-4.9.0-6-armmp E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'linux-headers-4.9.0-6-armmp'

Then you didn't read it for comprehension or the whole thread, not sure which? As it was also mentioned in the thread that you can cd /boot and basically rm -rf * in that folder and reboot and this will cause the netboot kernel to be used.

I will forgive you this time as that thread seems to have become quite a mess. Believe me though, all the information we have on these servers is in that thread, so if you really do read the whole thing you will come away knowing more about this.

Cheers!

Thanked by 1desfire
  • @TheLinuxBug said:

desfire said: I read the whole thread and still, does not work for me : E: Unable to locate package linux-image-4.9.0-6-armmp E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'linux-image-4.9.0-6-armmp' E: Unable to locate package linux-headers-4.9.0-6-armmp E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'linux-headers-4.9.0-6-armmp'

Then you didn't read it for comprehension or the whole thread, not sure which? As it was also mentioned in the thread that you can cd /boot and basically rm -rf * in that folder and reboot and this will cause the netboot kernel to be used.

I will forgive you this time as that thread seems to have become quite a mess. Believe me though, all the information we have on these servers is in that thread, so if you really do read the whole thing you will come away knowing more about this.

Cheers!

I have must missed that, thank you, so just remove /boot inside files? Thank you a lot, I really appreciate it, trust me I read all pages it even gave me headache

• FHR said: These SYS ARM servers can do at least 15MB/s with rsync -e ssh with kernel 4.5.2-armada375.

I'm sure they could go higher, but I have the rsync artificially limited as to not saturate the link on the servers I'm uploading from.

This is about right, as mentioned in my reply, the switches they have us on are now over-saturated and this is why you see QoS shaping happening on transfers. Recently it seems to like to limit all my transfers to the US to 10-12M/sec max because of this.

Cheers!

• desfire said: I have must missed that, thank you, so just remove /boot inside files? Thank you a lot, I really appreciate it, trust me I read all pages it even gave me headache

Basically if it finds no kernel when it tries to boot it defaults to used the netboot kernel. By removing the kernel and components from /boot this should accomplish this.

It is worth noting and will likely add it to the other thread as @Falzo and I work on the kernel more, but there is actually a rescue function for these servers. You log into the panel and click on 'Netboot' in top right and then select 'Rescue' and reboot the server that way. It will actually boot to a rescue system in case you lose access because of some issue with the kernel or otherwise.

Cheers!

• @TheLinuxBug said:

desfire said: I read the whole thread and still, does not work for me : E: Unable to locate package linux-image-4.9.0-6-armmp E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'linux-image-4.9.0-6-armmp' E: Unable to locate package linux-headers-4.9.0-6-armmp E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'linux-headers-4.9.0-6-armmp'

Cheers!

Of course he didn't read it. Look at the timestamps when you posted your comment. Just 2 minutes later he read 14 pages of posts for sure.

• desfiredesfire Member
    edited August 2018

@blackjack4494 said:

@TheLinuxBug said:

Cheers!

Of course he didn't read it. Look at the timestamps when you posted your comment. Just 2 minutes later he read 14 pages of posts for sure.

I did also comment on the other threat like 30 minutes ago (check it by yourself), did everything said there (must have missed that, sorry again) and then created this post due to my frustation, my apologies for that, maybe I got too impatient.

• This solved my issue, thanks, hopefully this helps someone else in the net too, my apologies for maybe being to desperate

• @desfire said:
    This solved my issue, thanks, hopefully this helps someone else in the net too, my apologies for maybe being to desperate

So what is the speed you get now?

• @blackjack4494 said:

@desfire said:
    This solved my issue, thanks, hopefully this helps someone else in the net too, my apologies for maybe being to desperate

11-15mb/s, which is not amazing but of course a huge difference!

• @desfire said:

@blackjack4494 said:

@desfire said:

11-15mb/s, which is not amazing but of course a huge difference!

That's the same results I get too.

These servers can do much more unencrypted btw. Iperf on the 2TB one in France:

# iperf3 -P 8 -c iperf.online.net
    …
    [SUM]   0.00-10.03  sec  2.19 GBytes  1.87 Gbits/sec

• @FHR said:

…

Can SSH be unecrypted?

@desfire said:

Can SSH be unecrypted?

No. SSH is always encrypted.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited August 2018

@desfire said:

@FHR said:

…

Can SSH be unecrypted?

no, for good reason.

Thanked by 1Aidan
  • Yura said: you should actually understand what people told you in your previous thread and see how to fix your server.

Shouldn't SoYouStart fix its 'crippled' kernel?
    Why do we need to use workaround when we are paying them?

• I directly download from my Canada sys server in China via http, speed is 500KB/s. Using VPS in Sweden and US, speed is 15MB/s. Maybe you need a proxy.

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited August 2018

@desfire said:
    Can SSH be unecrypted?

I just wanted to quote this.

• JunJun Member
    edited August 2018

From my experience on SYS storage arm server, rsync is significantly slower as it uses 100% of the cpus, computing rolling checksum + encryption. CPU is the bottleneck. Why don't you try scp or unencrypted ftp to see if the transfer speed improves?

• @Jun said:
    From my experience on SYS storage arm server, rsync is significantly slower as it uses 100% of the cpus, computing rolling checksum + encryption. CPU is the bottleneck. Why don't you try scp or unencrypted ftp to see if the transfer speed improves?

That's a really good observation about rsync. I did a test and found that it can cap around 1 megabyte per second.

I've said it on the other thread and I'll repeat that here, these servers are unbeatable value for what basically amounts to a very low powered but very highly economical remote storage if you can live with the limits.