Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can't stream netflix with OpenVPN + VPS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Can't stream netflix with OpenVPN + VPS?

neatpneatp Member

Hi all,

I just got started using BigFootServers and set up OpenVPN on my server. I'm able to connect to OpenVPN from my laptop and phone mostly without issues, it's great!

My one problem is Netflix streaming. When I go on Netflix and try to stream, I see "You seem to be using an unblocker or proxy. Please turn off any of these services and try again. For more help, visit netflix.com/proxy." Why does Netflix think this? Is it because they can tell my IP belongs to a commercial datacenter and not a residency? Is there any way for me to get around this? Do any VPS providers allow you to stream on Netflix?

I live in the US and the server is in the US, so it's frustrating I can't (legally) stream Netflix!

Comments

• imokimok Member

@neatp said:

>

My one problem is Netflix streaming. When I go on Netflix and try to stream, I see "You seem to be using an unblocker or proxy. Please turn off any of these services and try again. For more help, visit netflix.com/proxy." Why does Netflix think this?

Visit https://netflix.com/proxy

• How can they tell I'm using OpenVPN? I thought the point of OpenVPN is it is very difficult for a website to detect that I'm using a VPN. Is it just that I'm using a datacenter IP?

• neatp said: Is it because they can tell my IP belongs to a commercial datacenter and not a residency?

Yes.

• imokimok Member

There are a lot of posts here asking for providers that use residential IPs. Try to find them using the forum search function or Google. Good look.

• If you use a well known company/datacenter, you are likely to have issues. I have seen people have better success with with companies as small as mom and pop shops. Cost more, but works better.

If anyone knows of any major providers that do not experience this issue, please share as I would also like to know.

• neatp said: I live in the US

Why are you using a VPN then?

• deankdeank Member, Troll

He could be trying to slack @ work.

Thanked by 1Aidan
  • He would have a better chance setting up a VPN from his own home then.

• @saibal said:

neatp said: I live in the US

Why are you using a VPN then?

I was wondering the same thing!

• lazytlazyt Member
    edited August 2018

Haven't you seen the commercials? VPN is the in thing.

Thanked by 1Aidan
  • Actually I'm pretty sure OP is using a VPN because he doesn't have a broadband connection or a need to bypassing deep packet inspection. Millennials .

• @needavps said:
    Actually I'm pretty sure OP is using a VPN because he doesn't have a broadband connection or a need to bypassing deep packet inspection. Millennials .

If he doesn't have broadband then surely connecting via VPN will hinder rather than help?

Won't comment on Millennials as I don't have anything nice to say about (the majority though not all of) them.

@lazyt Clever advert, I'm (almost) tempted to sign up myself :-)

• Netflix banned your data center...

• Try using ipv6. That is more likely to work than ipv4.

• StealthyHostingStealthyHosting Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2018

Netlix actively blocks any IPs used by datacenters or not used by residential ISPs. It only takes a few months before any new block get blocked. Even if you get around it, it will get shut down soon. VPN to what they see as residential is the only solution.