Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Proxmox OpenVZ container question
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Proxmox OpenVZ container question

DroidzoneDroidzone Member
edited October 2013 in Help

I have used OVH's dedicated servers in the past. Recently I ordered an online.net dedi, and installed Proxmox 2.3 on it, upgraded to Proxmox 3.

I ordered an IPv4 failover for using an openvz container. I added the IPv4 to the server via online.net's panel, created a new container in Proxmox added the IP in "routed mode", and started the container. Now in OVH, that was all that was needed to connect to the container. However I noticed that the new IP was not pingable.

I then added the following to /etc/network/interfaces:

#Failover configuration auto dummy0 iface dummy0 inet static address 6.6.6.6 netmask 255.255.255.255

where 6.6.6.6 is my failover IP.

The IP became pingable, however, instead of connecting to the container, the failover IP connects to the main server. How does one configure it to get the failover IP to connect to the container?

Comments

• Try seeing if it works in bridged mode

• @terafire said:
    Try seeing if it works in bridged mode

Apparently the default configuration is bridged mode on online.net.

• You tried putting the container in bridged mode?

• @terafire said:
    You tried putting the container in bridged mode?

I made a mess of /etc/network/interfaces, and couldnt connect to the node. Reinstalling now..

• Ok, the node was already in bridge mode when installed. How should I be configuring it for routed (or bridge) mode?

• FrankZFrankZ Veteran
    edited October 2013

@joelgm - I think that needs to be a bridge not dummy0 in the config, as dummy0 would bridge the main IP/interface

Failover configuration

auto vmbr2

iface vmbr2 inet static

address 6.6.6.6

netmask 255.255.255.255

bridge_ports eth0:0 (or whatever interface you assigned the IP to on the server)

bridge_stp off

bridge_fd 0

gateway ?.?.?.?

then in proxmox select vmbr2 instead of vmbr0 for the bridge to eth0 of the container (bridge mode).

Please note: I am not an expert

• FrankZFrankZ Veteran
    edited October 2013

Under "just trying to help":

I normally do not need the extra server config and can just add the IP to the container (routed mode) , without adding the IP to the server at all.

If you want to mess with dummys without killing the main IP,

Add an extra dummy

echo "options dummy numdummies=2" > /etc/modprobe.d/local.conf (restart)

Then after restart check that the extra dummy appeared

ls /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/

You should now have

all dummy0 eth0 venet0 default dummy1 lo vmbr0

if the dummys do not show, don't try and bridge to it.

Edit: changed bridged to routed in 2nd line

• Have you removed the IP binding from the node, and add it only to the container?
    Don't make any configuration in the networking, just try it first. I'm trying in the Online.net in the past, and it can work.

• DroidzoneDroidzone Member
    edited October 2013

@ErawanArifNugroho said:
    Have you removed the IP binding from the node, and add it only to the container?

Er.. How do I do that?

Don't make any configuration in the networking, just try it first. I'm trying in the Online.net in the past, and it can work.

I tried doing no network configuration at all, and creating a container by simply assigning IP (routed mode) as I've done in the past for OVH servers. However it was not connecting to the container at all.

FrankZ said: @joelgm - I think that needs to be a bridge not dummy0 in the config, as dummy0 would bridge the main IP/interface
    Failover configuration

I set it up as you kindly advised. I edited the code you provided to include my failover IP, rebooted, created a container in bridge mode and chose vmbr2

My network config is: http://www.pastebin.ca/2468202

I then created a container in bridge mode, and assigned vmbr0. Now it simply connects to the node, when I try to ssh into the failover ip.

edited October 2013

Edit: It stopped working again.

• How about this?

auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

auto vmbr0
    iface vmbr0 inet static
        address PRIMARYIP
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        network 62.210.137.0
        broadcast 62.210.137.255
        gateway 62.210.137.1
            bridge_ports eth0
            bridge_stp off
            bridge_fd 0
            bridge_maxwait 0

auto eth0
    iface eth0 inet manual

Do you use the IPv4 configuration same like you get from Online.net for the netmask, network, broadcast and gateway?

Try to use only that line, do not add another IP in the interfaces, but use the failover IP at the container only.

When you restarted/reboot, and connecting to the failover IP, it should connected to the container.

Previously, I only have one IPv4 and connecting to the Online.net container via port routing. And using the above interface setup for my dedi from FitVPS

• @joelgm - I am confused by your setting up two bridged containers and want to make sure I understand what you are trying to do.

1 - You have a service on port XX on the node at the primary IP. The failover IP is set up on one container that runs a duplicate service at port XX. You stop the service on the primary, the service then failsover to the container and the service continues uninterrupted. (one primary IP at the node, one failover IP at the container and you are good to go)

2 - You are trying to test failover between two containers on the same node and is the reason you made two containers above. You have a service on port XX on the container at the primary IP. The failover IP is set up on the secondary container that runs a duplicate service at port XX. You stop the service on the primary container, the service then failsover to the secondary container and the service continues uninterrupted. (You need a third IP for the node not related to failover between the containers)

3 - something else

edited October 2013

@FrankZ What I intended to do is set up a master server or node for me to administer, and seperate openvz containers which may be better termed clients, which run independent vps boxes. In short, I need a node and some vps es. All of them would be active at the same time. I shouldn't have to stop a service to run one on a container. Something akin to what solus master and slaves do?

• FrankZFrankZ Veteran
    edited October 2013

@joelgm - I was good up until "Something akin to what solus master and slaves do?".
    Which I take to mean a proxmox HA cluster.

If you are trying to get a couple of openVZ containers "clients" that you can control and access running on a single proxmox node .

Using the config above with vmbr0 and vmbr2 what happens when you only start one container/instance on vmbr2 and no containers using vmbr0?

You should be able to ssh to the node using the vmbr0 IP and ssh to the container using the vmbr2 IP.
    Does it happen?

EDIT: Structure

• Lets do this by PM to stop bumping the thread

• Just an update to note that FrankZ solved the issue. My failover IPs were in a different subnet and required an additional setting in /etc/vz/vz.conf. Thanks a lot, FrankZ!

• I wish joelm would have posted what the solution was since I am struggling for 2 days with exactly the same issue. On OVH machines, you install Proxmox template and then simply enter the failover IP in the new openVZ container as routed and you are done.

Online.net phone help aint much help, they dont speak english so only words he said is ticket ticket.

Ok I created a ticket and the result was a link to a FRENCH explanaition website and it was intent for normal Linux distro's and not Proxmox VE 3.

If somebody of online.net is reading this also, please add a Proxmox template which uses routed and not bridged.

Anyway, I have tried everything and I am lost, the node was on vmbr0 and I changed that to eth0 and rebooted. The node is indeed back online, but container retains unreachable.

I also noticed that online.net says I should use submask 255.255.255.255 but Proxmox gives an error on that.

Any help would be very usefull here.

Greetings,
    Rev

• @Revdutchie:
    Did you try subnet 255.255.255.248?

• joelgm,

So you are saying that if I do a fresh Proxmox install the only thing I need to do is to change

NEIGHBOUR_DEVS=detect
    to:
    ?
    NEIGHBOUR_DEVS=all

• Yup

Thanked by 1Revdutchie
  • Reinstalling at the moment, keeping my fingers crossed

• joelgm you are a LEGEND (for me) but still think you should have posted the solution here when you found it.

But that brings me to Online support. If it is this simple then

A) Why is the phone support that bad, and also ticket support. They should know this.
    B) As I mentioned above, why dont they have 2 templates. One bridged, mostly used for XEN or KVM solutions. And one template routed for openVZ.

Anyway, I am happy afetr 2 days of struggling I got it working.

Cheers,
    Rev

• @Revdutchie - This is only required if your IPs are on different subnets.

For others future reference the command to run is:

sed -i 's/NEIGHBOUR_DEVS=detect/NEIGHBOUR_DEVS=all/g' /etc/vz/vz.conf

Thanked by 1earl
  • @FrankZ

Nice work Zappa.. thank god I was too cheap to buy a failover IP from online.net or I would probably be scratching my head too. lol

Thanked by 1FrankZ
  • painfreepcpainfreepc Member
    edited December 2013

@FrankZ said:
    Please note: I am not an expert

Anyone that has more knowledge then i, is an expert..

• RevdutchieRevdutchie Member
    edited December 2013

Maybe a dumb question, but could the topic be changed with something like online.net servers in the name so our future googlers can find it? online.net is a great provider name but a pain when you gonna search google with online in the search string :-)

• @Revdutchie said:
    Maybe a dumb question, but could the topic be changed with something like online.net servers in the name so our future googlers can find it? online.net is a great provider name but a pain when you gonna search google with online in the search string :-)

If you search for "online.net" dedicated proxmox, my blog post gets the second hit. To rename the title on this thread, you'd need to contact a mod. I don't have permission to do it myself.