Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What makes US vsp-hosting market so special?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What makes US vsp-hosting market so special?

This is something I really do not understand: whenever I check LEB, I see plenty of very attractive offers, but most (if not all) of them are in US. There is very rarely something in EU, with comparable specs/price ratio. Why? What makes us-market so special?

Market-size is about the same (if we consider US+CAN vs EU). So what makes it so attractive for vps/web-hosting companies to do business there, and not in EU (too)? Is there big difference in legislation, or taxation, or costs (connectivity, energy, etc)? Or something else? Maybe some provider doing business on both sides of pond could explain it...

Comments

• I personally think EU has better quality providers and provide a better bang for the buck.

Usual suspects like:

Hetzner
    OVH

Thanked by 2imok Hetzner_OL
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

Look 20 years back at the beginning. Almost all large international carriers were US companies. Even more so wrt to cross atlantic cables. Plus while the markets may be similar in size Europe is a far more complex structure while in the USA there is one large market.

But I think it's far more balanced nowadays. The biggest IX of all for example is the german DeCIX (then it was MAE-West in the USA).

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

When you look at LEB, out of those US locations you’re most likely to find that majority of them is in ColoCrossing Buffallo - my understanding is that they cater to this niche, hence you may see more offer coming from that location as well.

Thanked by 1FHR
  • HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

If you're talking about dirt cheap offers ($XX/yr), then yeah NA wins out a bit. A lot of those deals are pretty concentrated though, you're going to find them in a small handful of DCs - crazy cheap offers are generally reserved for CC locations as @Clouvider noted.

However, I generally find EU has better bang for your buck as @realbusiness noted. It may not be on the $XX/yr stuff - but there are multiple cheap dedicated providers offering newer servers, lots of decent quality bandwidth, free DDoS protection, etc for <$50/mo (quality enthusiast-grade stuff at $10-35/mo).

There aren't that many providers like that in NA... yeah there are some cheap dedis, but you're talking older/low power servers, expensive add-on pricing, less bandwidth, etc. I'm generally more jealous of EU offers than I am of NA ones...

Back to EU VPS's though: I've had tons of great VPS deals from HostHatch (NL/SE), InceptionHosting (UK/NL), ArubaCloud (UK/IT/FR/etc), Hetzner Cloud (DE/FL), UltraVPS.eu (DE/NL), AlphaVPS.bg (UK/DE/BG), etc etc. And unlike a lot of US providers in cheap DCs, I'd expect my stuff with the above to actually stay online and be around for a few years.

• Yes, what I had in mind are those cheap yearly or bi-annually offers of VPS for up to 100/y. There are ~10 of them on the front page of LEB right now! I'd grab any of them, but there's not a single from EU...

And when sometimes we get some cheap offer in EU occasionally (i.e. black friday), it is out of stock before you count to five! The only exception is Aruba...

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Aruba isn't running out because it's too hard for "some" to use..., apparently.

• @Jarry said:
    This is something I really do not understand: whenever I check LEB

LEB is total rubbish nowadays.

Try the Offers forum here on LET.

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@Jarry said: There are ~10 of them on the front page of LEB right now! I'd grab any of them, but there's not a single from EU...

Most of those are total shit. The only host on the front page of LEB right now that I spend money with is Quadranet.

@Jarry said: And when sometimes we get some cheap offer in EU occasionally (i.e. black friday), it is out of stock before you count to five! The only exception is Aruba...

Here's a few EU offers in stock right now:

12 Eur/yr 1GB OVZ - https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/149423/alphavps-ovz-and-kvm-promotions-dedicated-from-25eur-2x-e5-45eur

48 Eur/yr incl. VAT 750GB Storage VPS - https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/145928/ultravps-eu-storage-vms-now-also-available-in-germany

2.49 Eur/mo 2GB KVM w/ NVMe storage - https://www.hetzner.com/cloud

No one cares about LEB. The best offers usually get shared in the offers section here or someone else will re-post an offer they found elsewhere (how most of the dedi deals usually end up here).

Thanked by 1Jarry
  • Harambe said: No one cares about LEB. The best offers usually get shared in the offers section here or someone else will re-post an offer they found elsewhere (how most of the dedi deals usually end up here).

Yeah this is so true.. there is no point for me to check on LEB, LET deals always hotter. @AnthonySmith even make a nice Provider Register/directory

• GDPR is make me worried , it's look like an exclusive regulation spread over all in the internet and we realize where it's come from.

Our concern is you must provide a special limitation with who is your audience and i don't know if it is miss conception or true, and why we have too care about this.

Every single country has own regulation about how is should be on the internet and how should of using it, but GDPR is too techie understanding and of course it's confusing, we don't want take to the risk, it's pseudo EU policy to ask understanding their off life situation than bring it to the online ecosystem, i don't know.

If we should give a limitation as we are a publisher, of course how should you think about the traffic.

Idk i think it's giving impact to order in EU DC.

• @deank said:
    Aruba isn't running out because it's too hard for "some" to use..., apparently.

Someone talks about it as if it were a spaceship, there are only a dozen buttons...

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@d2itsme said:
    GDPR is make me worried , it's look like an exclusive regulation spread over all in the internet and we realize where it's come from.

Our concern is you must provide a special limitation with who is your audience and i don't know if it is miss conception or true, and why we have too care about this.

Every single country has own regulation about how is should be on the internet and how should of using it, but GDPR is too techie understanding and of course it's confusing, we don't want take to the risk, it's pseudo EU policy to ask understanding their off life situation than bring it to the online ecosystem, i don't know.

If we should give a limitation as we are a publisher, of course how should you think about the traffic.

Idk i think it's giving impact to order in EU DC.

You have your thread on it.

• @Clouvider said:
    You have your thread on it.

Not by mean i don't make own opinion , half an hour ago , one my friend ask where the best server ready serve for 100.000 traffic , and it must stay on USA DC.

I don't ask him why you don't take from EU, because at personally i know he doesn't want wasting time concern about GDPR, that it will be go through on his mind too later.

I'm not influence about this concern, even i'm not talking about GDPR, but sooner he will looking by himself about this matter.

• realbusiness said: Hetzner OVH

I wish them to be in the US

• Well actually i be more appreciated provider at when at first he has only one dc in europe than adding one dc on (one place in US), so it would be the same thing kind that he realized he really A Provider which do serve for his customers and know what market want, than keep only one stay at one dc and keep dominate his mind influence another members in forum with "soft-marketing" to buy on his provider indirectly.