Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

iKoula | 1vCPU 1.7GB RAM 50GB SSD for 1€ | 20th anniversary - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

iKoula | 1vCPU 1.7GB RAM 50GB SSD for 1€ | 20th anniversary

Comments

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited August 2018

Malin said: Dude, are you here for standup comedy? Your network is a safe-heaven of abuse and you expect me to remove your IP's from a blacklist? Why do you allow them to get blacklisted in the 1st. place? Why don't you enforce your ToS on your users. Why do you sell already blacklisted IP's or don't check them first. Do you think telling people to clean up the mess that other did is highly professional?

What about my post saying this place is a shit show didn't you understand? I really don't understand you people, must be a bunch of masochists that just love to torture your selves or something?

Save your time and your money and pick a decent host instead. There is a reason they have to sell their services for 1 Euro to get you in the door.... I mean, seriously...

Reasons not to use Ikoula:

1. Their support is basically a bunch of outsourced support agents who don't know what they are doing

2. They only have one provider in most of their locations (if not all) Cogent

3. Their panel is a complete clusterfuck and a mess to use

4. Their IPs are dirty, because if you haven't figured this out from the previous three items, they almost have no support and no one actually keeps track of their IPs or probably cares.

5. For those that don't know host2vps.com is another one of their brands and you should stay away from it also, it is probably even worse, if not the same.

I could probably add more... but you get the idea... I hope....

Cheers!

• TripleflixTripleflix Member
    edited August 2018

im sad to say that i agree with @TheLinuxBug. i tried the deal, have struggled with the control panel for 5 days (that switched to french all the time) and didnt get any support help. instead i get waiting times, and errors and.. nothing.. cancelled and refundend.

• d0m1234d0m1234 Member
    edited August 2018

My order was marked as fraud since I ordered using a VPN, turned off and ordered again, this time with my residential IP, did the trick.

The panel(s) are kinda confusing on first sight but didn't took me that long to get used to them. The change of the language back to french seems fixed for me.

Can't say anything about the support so far since I never needed it.

After some redeploying I got a pretty decent VPS for 1€/m.

Routing is okay and data throughput pretty good to "EU-NL-Z2-BASIC". Didn't found the IP blacklisted so far.

Processor:    Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2667 v4 @ 3.20GHz
    CPU cores:    1
    Frequency:    3199.912 MHz
    RAM:          1.5G
    Swap:
    Kernel:       Linux 4.9.0-7-amd64 x86_64

Disks:
    xvda  50G  SSD

CPU: SHA256-hashing 500 MB
        4.854 seconds
    CPU: bzip2-compressing 500 MB
        8.197 seconds
    CPU: AES-encrypting 500 MB
        2.571 seconds

ioping: seek rate
        min/avg/max/mdev = 69.1 us / 163.0 us / 132.8 ms / 1.32 ms
    ioping: sequential speed
        generated 6.84 k requests in 5.00 s, 1.67 GiB, 1.37 k iops, 342.2 MiB/s

dd test
        1st run:    428 MB/s
        2nd run:    384 MB/s
        3rd run:    374 MB/s
        average:    395 MB/s

IPv4 speedtests
        your IPv4:    154.59.112.18

Cachefly CDN:         77.8MB/s
        Leaseweb (NL):        63.4MB/s
        Softlayer DAL (US):   2.13MB/s
        Online.net (FR):      56.6MB/s
        OVH BHS (CA):         17.1MB/s

• @simonindia said:
    Guys don't dose down Ikoula for their offering I like that we all give feedback. But they are new with 1 Euro/month thing. If we were to buy the thing in 9 euro/month price it would been fair. For now let's give them some room so they fix the things.

I like stable providers Ikoula been there a longtime. so let's step it down a notch. I work with a lot of providers who block ICMP the big three included.

It just seems to me as aggressive. Let's take a breath and cut them a wide berth as they are looking into it.

Then there are people like me who silently decided not to renew next month. The lack of hypervisor capacity , cogent only network, blacklisted IPs all turned me off.

I hear their dedis are fine though.

• simonindiasimonindia Member
    edited August 2018

@vimalware said:

Then there are people like me who silently decided not to renew next month. The lack of hypervisor capacity , cogent only network, blacklisted IPs all turned me off.

Well Yep I understand even if they fix in a months time its better deal in sync with aruba.

I don't mind blacklisted IP's and single homed network as this VM is only used for temp ansible playbook testing in my case it works out. as the price is 1Euro/month

If someone is going to use this production my answer would be hell no. There are better options out there for much less. But I have some confidence they would fix it. All the years in this industry they would have learned their lesson in the first few.

Note: by muchless I mean for the actual server price 10 euro/month

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @simonindia said:

@vimalware said:

Well Yep I understand even if they fix in a months time its better deal in sync with aruba.

I don't mind blacklisted IP's and single homed network as this VM is only used for temp ansible playbook testing in my case it works out. as the price is 1Euro/month

If someone is going to use this production my answer would be hell no. There are better options out there for much less. But I have some confidence they would fix it. All the years in this industry they would have learned their lesson in the first few.

Note: My muchless I mean for the actual server price 10 euro/month

Much less than 1eu/m? What are those options?

• @d0m1234 said:

@simonindia said:

Note: My muchless I mean for the actual server price 10 euro/month

Much less than 1eu/m? What are those options?

I meant for under 10 Euro/month but for 1 Euro a month aruba all the way.

• @simonindia said:
    I meant for under 10 Euro/month but for 1 Euro a month aruba all the way.

Until you get billed (in Italian) for products that have nothing to do with you; then get support to actually understand!

• Just for kicks (taking @TheLinuxBug comments onboard), I grabbed one a few days ago.
    Yes, it's quirky and the templates (Centos) are grim. I tried an ISO and it wouldn't boot. Further investigation reveals they are using cloud-init and assign the IP to the server as dynamic. Let's see if a Ticket will get ANY response - I tried live chat yesterday, for a different issue (see below) and gave up when no operator after 20 minutes.
    Talking of bugs: I couldn't login via the console, primarily due to keyboard mapping that I couldn't resolve. The UK k/b map doesn't appear to work with numeric characters.

• @Tripleflix said:
    im sad to say that i agree with @TheLinuxBug. i tried the deal, have struggled with the control panel for 5 days (that switched to french all the time) and didnt get any support help. instead i get waiting times, and errors and.. nothing.. cancelled and refundend.

How is it possible for you to get "refundend"? Their ticket response is so slow; You'll be lucky if you get it in a month or at all.

• IkoulaIkoula Member, Host Rep

Hi @Malin @TheLinuxBug, you are free to give your opinion but I’m not sure that generalizing on your situation is really relevant here.

We totally understand that the problem you face with your IP address is really inconvenient for you and be sure our support team does its very best to help you properly.

Our support team is definitely not outsourced – Say hi to some techs from our support team, two floors below me :)

and they’re highly qualified.

Hiring people with strong & complete IT knowledges for our support team is clearly our Top priority, and I can’t let you saying they don’t know what they’re doing.

About our providers, I suggest you to check our website https://www.ikoula.com/en/ikoula-datacenter-france , this could give you some interesting insights.

If you want to discuss more longer about some points, please feel free to contact us by PM, we're always happy to discuss with customers in a constructive way. And of course, you can join our sales team on the phone if need be !

• Okay.

• Just realized "ikoula" sounds like "y coula"in French, meaning "he sank" or "he deadpooled".

• When I first set up a VM a couple of weeks ago, my IP got 9 blacklists. I managed to get 7 of them delisted by myself, the last 2 being with Spamhaus which requires the ISP to request the delisting for the the block (so I can't do anything about it by myself).

Yesterday, I was notified by HetrixTools that those last 2 blacklists were finally lifted. I didn't contact Ikoula about it so I'm guessing someone else did or they heeded the suggestions by posters here.

I guess, for what it's worth, it's a plus point for Ikoula.

Thanked by 1Ikoula
  • @needavps said:

@Tripleflix said:

How is it possible for you to get "refundend"? Their ticket response is so slow; You'll be lucky if you get it in a month or at all.

yea ok not really refunded i just charged back with paypal cus i knew that a proper refund would take ages and i was sick of waiting...

Aidan said: Okay.

This message is meant to warn you SSH keys (fingerprint) on the remote host (your VM) have changed.
    You got that message because you probably reinstalled your VM.

Shot2 said: Just realized "ikoula" sounds like "y coula"in French, meaning "he sank" or "he deadpooled".

IKOULA is up and running since 1998 - no sinking on the horizon ;)

pullangcubo said: I didn't contact Ikoula about it so I'm guessing someone else did or they heeded the suggestions by posters here.

Really appreciate some contrast in this discution :)

• First-RootFirst-Root Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2018

@Ikoula said:

If I was running since 20 years and got punched like you in this thread I would really start to question myself...

• @FR_Michael said:

@Ikoula said:

If I was running since 20 years and got punched like you in this thread I would really start to question myself...

This is LET. Not your everyday community. ;-)

Thanked by 1Waldo19
  • asvasv Member

For the record, @Ikoula never replied to my support ticket. Not a big drama though.

asv said: For the record, @Ikoula never replied to my support ticket. Not a big drama though.

Hello, i'd like the ticket number to investigate please ?

• Requested cancellation due to enforced use of DHCP to assign server IP.

• @AlwaysSkint said:
    Requested cancellation due to enforced use of DHCP to assign server IP.

Just curious, is that a bad thing?

• @plumberg said:

@AlwaysSkint said:

I wondered too. How can this effect you in a negative way?

• @blackjack4494 said:

@plumberg said:

@AlwaysSkint said:

You internet noobs. Internet search static vs dhcp vps. If it is "FORCED" dhcp than you will undoubtibly have connection issues but you probably aren't using this for anything business like where money is important so it doesn't matter.

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

@needavps said:
    You internet noobs

Lol. He just dropped some undoubtable knowledge on you fools.

• AlwaysSkintAlwaysSkint Member
    edited August 2018

From Support

you can't set a static IP address on your instance,

our CloudStack platform must work with DHCP,
    but DHCP leases are long enough and as long as you don't destroy your instance you will be assigned the same IP address.

No thanks.
    Some software insists on static, quite rightly so for a server, IMHumbleO.

Contrast this with a different provider

By default, the initial configuration of your VPS is set to DHCP so the VPS can come online without having to log into the console and manually configure your IP information. We recommend this be changed it once the server is up and running and the IP you were given (static IP) is added to the server.

I found that from a Google search, not a provider that I use. ;-)

• @needavps said:

@blackjack4494 said:

@plumberg said:

@AlwaysSkint said:

You internet noobs. Internet search static vs dhcp vps. If it is "FORCED" dhcp than you will undoubtibly have connection issues but you probably aren't using this for anything business like where money is important so it doesn't matter.

Are you kidding right now? You seriously drop the word business in a 1€ let thread?

• @blackjack4494 said:

@needavps said:

@blackjack4494 said:

@plumberg said:

@AlwaysSkint said:

Are you kidding right now? You seriously drop the word business in a 1€ let thread?

... how dare you... It is a non-reoccuring annual plan from a 20 year business. I expect BUSINESS! quite frankly I'm in a few money making schemes with a 1€ or less month vps so take that!

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • @AlwaysSkint said:
    From Support

you can't set a static IP address on your instance,

our CloudStack platform must work with DHCP,
    but DHCP leases are long enough and as long as you don't destroy your instance you will be assigned the same IP address.

No thanks.
    Some software insists on static, quite rightly so for a server, IMHumbleO.

Well AWS and Azure does the same. In fact a lot of providers do that. The address are reserved for that interface. They are given maximum lease time. That is the standard practice in the "Clouds". But I understand for people who see this first time may see this as awkward. Its just how it is you can always make the IP set as static manually .

Thanked by 1Shazan
  • they took my money one week ago and still show pending