Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

iKoula | 1vCPU 1.7GB RAM 50GB SSD for 1€ | 20th anniversary - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

iKoula | 1vCPU 1.7GB RAM 50GB SSD for 1€ | 20th anniversary

Comments

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@mtsbatalha said:
    Please @iKoula fix my account. I can't order for the second time.

I think that's by design.. pretty sure it said 1 per customer or something along those lines in the terms.

• SvenSven Member
    edited July 2018

Was somebody able to install the VPS with a ISO?
    I am not able to change the boot order.
    When I press some buttons I just reiceive "Access is denied for the console session. Please close the window and retry again" and the console disapears.

• SvenSven Member

When I am trying to install by template I get this error: "Invalid ISO id provided to restore the VM
    "

• Shot2Shot2 Member

@Sven said:
    Was somebody able to install the VPS with a ISO?
    I am not able to change the boot order.
    When I press some buttons I just reiceive "Access is denied for the console session. Please close the window and retry again" and the console disapears.

Same here. No way to install.
    Anyway, given how terribad the whole thing is (kudos @MrPsycho for a nice recap), I have to thank you for reminding me to cancel that shite. :)

• SvenSven Member

How do I cancel this? I can not even create a ticket. "Problem during the creation of the ticket."

• Good morning,

zone 3, zone 5 and NL zone are currently experiencing deployment difficulties due to a temporary lack of resources.
    The team in charge of the platform is currently working on its consolidation, adding new hosts etc....

You have the ability to deploy in advanced areas, which do not encounter disturbances. This will allow you to have a dedicated network, with a VM router manageable (more possibilities of evolutions, firewall rule, NAT, port forwarding). The deployment in the advanced zone, with a standard network (100Mega), is compatible with the 1€ anniversary offer.

You will find below an article that will help you in these manipulations: https://ikou.la/56

This is what happen actually

• needavpsneedavps Member
    edited July 2018

@risturiz said:

Good morning,

zone 3, zone 5 and NL zone are currently experiencing deployment difficulties due to a temporary lack of resources.
    The team in charge of the platform is currently working on its consolidation, adding new hosts etc....

You have the ability to deploy in advanced areas, which do not encounter disturbances. This will allow you to have a dedicated network, with a VM router manageable (more possibilities of evolutions, firewall rule, NAT, port forwarding). The deployment in the advanced zone, with a standard network (100Mega), is compatible with the 1€ anniversary offer.

You will find below an article that will help you in these manipulations: https://ikou.la/56

This is what happen actually

That's a serious problem because their promo says euro zone only. Basically you are not notified that the places you can deploy is not working but you are privately(nowhere on their actual website) told to deploy in places that is not appropriate for your plan.

• needavps said: That's a serious problem because their promo says euro zone only. Basically you are not notified that the places you can deploy is not working but you are privately(nowhere on their actual website) told to deploy in places that is not appropriate for your plan.

This is the normal for them, it is a shit show, not sure why you guys won't take the word of all the people in the first part of this thread and keep wasting your money. It is an inferior product in all ways, there is a reason they have to sell it at this price.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

• IkoulaIkoula Member, Host Rep
    edited July 2018

Sven said: Was somebody able to install the VPS with a ISO?

In order to boot from an ISO you must select it while you create the VM instead of a template.

If you want to boot on an ISO anyway like, let's say, a live cd ? Load it in the virtual drive and launch the console.

Then the previous questions (Thank you @MrPsycho for regrouping).

• "The panel fails 95% of the time to create your VM" - @JoeMerit

And

• "tried NL, it said error 533 something, tried 10 times, still same error, then tried the France one, it creates a machine here, but it always hung at status of starting, it never starts" - @slicebox

We are working to add ressources to sustain the load.

With many people cycling between creation/destruction of VMs in order to get a more recent CPU it's not easy.

We advise you to deploy on the "Advanced" zones which are much more resourceful.

• "the deleted VPS may still incurring costs." - @moni099878

Please contact our support in order to get an explanation for your billing.

The VM is deleted but some stuff created might not have been removed.

Note that all charged details are available on https://extranet.ikoula.com --> Public cloud

• "I dont get how to deploy and use the special pricing. Is there a specific compute offering (plan)? None list the promo name." - @doughnet

You will benefit from the promotion for ONE (and only one per account) VM running any GNU/Linux OS and using the compute offering named "m1.small" deployed on one of our "EU-*" zones (Basic or Advanced).

You can order directly from https://www.ikoula.com/en/public-cloud , no code needed.

• "control panel continues to reset the language" - @needavps
    • "control panel [...] Creates error when you try to create a ticket..." - @needavps

We need a little more information like origin country, time of the issue, details of the encountered errors for debugging this.

Regarding the language issue, I don’t have the issue, might be a browser setting ?

Regarding the ticket creation if you selected "this probleme concerns one of my subscriptions" just choose "other" instead

• "there's no IPv6" - @rm_

No, we do not support IPv6 for the time being.

• "and you don't even get the advertised 1.7 GB of RAM" - @rm_

1.7 GB RAM is allocated, but a significant amount is reserved byt the OS itself (this amount may vary from the OS installed) or by the hypervisor.

Some commands like ‘#kdumpctl showmem’ for example will provide more details.

I'd like you to address these issue separately... Or will you dare to answer a selection of questions like you just did with my ticket? I also got a new question for you: why do you block ICMP by default and you don't clearly state that? There is no fucking way an average Joe would know how to unblock it using your control panel. To start off an average Joe wouldn't even know WHICH control panel to use. I have strong feeling that 95% of LET has no idea what are the individual ICMP types and codes. Hell - I didn't even know them and I probably wouldn't even know them to this day if not you. - @MrPsycho

No port is open when you create a VM.

In the delivery email you get explanations (in a pdf file to download), Cloud IKOULA service can be used over cloudstack.ikoula.com or extranet.ikoula.com or through API.
    On the extranet portal there is an easy-mode form to deploy. On this form there is a firewall section where most used services are listed, you just have to select the ones you want to open.

I hope this will answer all your questions, but if not i will be available tomorrow.

• LampardLampard Member, Patron Provider

Wanted to order, but then found out that its not recurring after one year.

• NanoG6NanoG6 Member

@Lampard said:
    Wanted to order, but then found out that its not recurring after one year.

Don't bother. I can't even spin up an instance since yesterday. Gonna cancel it tonight

• I've been an Ikoula customer for years and they've always been great for me on their dedicated line.

Anyway, I'm thinking on getting one if it's recurring @Ikoula could you shed some light on this?

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited July 2018

Lampard said: found out that its not recurring after one year.

Saragoldfarb said: thinking on getting one if it's recurring

Stop being so spoiled, 12 EUR is beyond good enough for an entire year of these specs (and unmetered bandwidth, and incoming is unmetered Gigabit). If all the other mentioned issues don't stop you, the price to specs ratio by itself, is insane. And in a year from now you can cancel it and pick up something else.

Thanked by 2Ikoula mtsbatalha
  • lemonlemon Member

@blackjack4494 said:

@levnode said:

needavps said: I have. One reason I don't work with a french provider anymore. Go on ahead. Try it.

I agree that their service is shit. However, French providers are good. Eg: Online, OVH. There are always good and bad, you know. It doesn't depend on the countries.

I thought I can give it a try just 1.19€/m for me. But I cannot even register since my email provider is banned tho it is one of the major ones in germany (web.de)

@Ikoula

get away from web.de, it's the biggest crap you'll get. I mean you can send an email as [email protected] from your local internet connection to a web.de mail and they won't detect it as spam.

I don't get it why people use web, gmx and so on. They're bloated with ads and are very limited.

As a server provider I'd also ban web.de and gmx.de/net.

Saragoldfarb said: Anyway, I'm thinking on getting one if it's recurring @Ikoula could you shed some light on this?

Hello :) promo is for one year; after that it is the regular price shown on the website that is applied.

Thanked by 1Frecyboy
  • Thanks @Ikoula for the answers. However I think some of them were just hit & miss. for exmaple:

Ikoula said: 1.7 GB RAM is allocated, but a significant amount is reserved byt the OS itself (this amount may vary from the OS installed

No it's not: cat /proc/meminfo

MemTotal:        1534064 kB

There is no such thing as OS reservation. Frankly, I don't care about the hypervisitor overhead either. You are advertising a VM with 1.7GB and that's what I'm expecting. The missing 242MB is hella much considering you can run a few websites on a VM as small as 128MB.

Ikoula said: No port is open when you create a VM.

Ports have nothing to do with ICMP. Moreover I've chosen to open all ports when I created the VM. Now you see the point? How a end user is supposed to know how to unblock ICMP if you don't even know what that is? I know that you are marketing person (everything fine with that), but as per your PM you should have contacted technical departament. If that's the answer technical departament told you, I'm shocked.

Regarding the language issue, I don’t have the issue, might be a browser setting ?

Dude, please be serious. We all know that you don't have a single control panel. It's a agglomeration of different control panels. Be honest and just say that it's not something you can change and instead of insinuate that the problem is with end-user browser (lol) just tell how to change language on each control panel.

Thanked by 1rm_
  • @Ikoula>; @lemon said:

@blackjack4494 said:

@levnode said:

needavps said: I have. One reason I don't work with a french provider anymore. Go on ahead. Try it.

I agree that their service is shit. However, French providers are good. Eg: Online, OVH. There are always good and bad, you know. It doesn't depend on the countries.

I thought I can give it a try just 1.19€/m for me. But I cannot even register since my email provider is banned tho it is one of the major ones in germany (web.de)

@Ikoula

get away from web.de, it's the biggest crap you'll get. I mean you can send an email as [email protected] from your local internet connection to a web.de mail and they won't detect it as spam.

I don't get it why people use web, gmx and so on. They're bloated with ads and are very limited.

As a server provider I'd also ban web.de and gmx.de/net.

I know it is crap :D

I even got hacked two times because of their data leaks. But still I have this mail since ~2000 (dunno exact year anymore) and there are a lot of services connected to this. I got two accounts there a private one and one for games/servers etc. the more public one is basically a spam bucket around 30-50 mails a day :D

Also I am using thunderbird as client. I never log into their stupid webpage

• Someone else?

• @mtsbatalha said:
    Someone else?

Working for me

Thanked by 1mtsbatalha

Hello,

The advertised memory value is alocated.

On most of operating systems the correct value is detected. If the chosen OS is using a reservation memory process, choose an OS which is not using it.

MrPsycho said: There is no such thing as OS reservation

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Kdump

As i told this reserved memory can be shown with the command "#kdumpctl showmem"

MrPsycho said: Ports have nothing to do with ICMP.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Echo_Protocol

MrPsycho said: I've chosen to open all ports when I created the VM.

i would not do thatif i were you

MrPsycho said: How a end user is supposed to know how to unblock ICMP if you don't even know what that is?

He is not, that's why there is a documentation provided with the account + ikoula.wiki + support team working 24/7 by mail + the easy form i already told about.

MrPsycho said: I know that you are marketing person

I am many things :)

MrPsycho said: We all know that you don't have a single control panel

The question was about one control panel, because there was nos details and this is all about our Public Cloud i deduced and checked https://cloudstack.ikoula.com/client/ it was fine. If there is a problem with a portal please at least name it.

• Have someone managed to set up an advanced instance and is able to ping outside or download something? Seems like I can only connect via ssh and basically nothing more. I opened every port wherever I could.

I am somehow lost with that whole NAT thing and special secure firewall thingy they got. So far no articles about it in their wiki.

• @ikoula it's look like not usually vps, i create and destroy it. So how i can get easier. Is this just available in europe? i make singapore and destroy it. Confusing

• Problem during the creation of the ticket.

• mkshmksh Member
    edited July 2018

@Ikoula said:

MrPsycho said: Ports have nothing to do with ICMP.

How is some stoneage service that is virtually extinct related to ICMP?

• Ordered.....cancelled

blackjack4494 said: Have someone managed to set up an advanced instance and is able to ping outside or download something? Seems like I can only connect via ssh and basically nothing more. I opened every port wherever I could.

I am somehow lost with that whole NAT thing and special secure firewall thingy they got. So far no articles about it in their wiki.

Yes there is but it is in French :/ https://fr-wiki.ikoula.com/fr/Premiers_pas_sur_le_Cloud_Public_Ikoula
    In fact you have to create some outbound rules to open traffic to a connection initialized from your VM.
    For exemple : OS updates needs an outbound rule

d2itsme said: @ikoula it's look like not usually vps, i create and destroy it. So how i can get easier. Is this just available in europe? i make singapore and destroy it. Confusing

Use the form at https://extranet.ikoula.com

d2itsme said: Problem during the creation of the ticket.

Choose "other" instead of "my problem concerns the subscription XXX"

lurch said: Ordered.....cancelled

Please contact [email protected] for more informations

• Ikoula said: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Kdump

As i told this reserved memory can be shown with the command "#kdumpctl showmem"

The software you have linked is responsible for taking dump after kernel crash. I'm using Debian. ...and guess what. It has neither kdumr or crashkernel at all. Usually when you are using crashkernel you should see the memory reservation process in dmesg. For example:

# dmesg | grep Reserving
    [    0.000000] Reserving 161MB of memory at 656MB for crashkernel (System RAM: 4095MB)

In my case, there is no output from 'dmesg | grep Reserving' or 'dmesg | grep crashkernel' either. Maybe last time I put my words wrongly. There is some memory reservation, but without crashkernel and on clean OS there is no way something could reserve a whipping 242MB. Your point seems still invalid to me.

Ikoula said: MrPsycho said: Ports have nothing to do with ICMP.

Did you even read what you've sent me?

The Echo Protocol is a service in the Internet Protocol Suite defined in RFC 862

Here is the RFC 862:

You have sent me a Echo Protocol working in the TCP/UDP layer. It responds with the every character you have sent to it. Echo reply (ICMP) responds with code 0. Echo Protocol (TCP) =/= Echo reply (ICMP).

ICMP's Echo reply was defined in RFC792. Now let's see what the Internet Protocol Suite is.

The Internet protocol suite is the conceptual model and set of communications protocols used on the Internet and similar computer networks. It is commonly known as TCP/IP because the foundational protocols in the suite are the Transmission Control Protocol (TCP) and the Internet Protocol (IP).

ICMP is in the 3rd layer (Networking) as well as IP. TCP is layer 4 and it's built on top of layer 3, thus port concept in ICMP is totally abstract. ICMP has no ports, but types and codes (see RFC792).

People who do think that ICMP somehow uses port 7 (the old echo service whhere it would echo every character you sent to it) should not be in networking and should be shot.

Source: http://www.techexams.net/forums/network/8777-icmp-port-number.html

MrPsycho said: I've chosen to open all ports when I created the VM.

i would not do thatif i were you

Thank you for your interest, but I know how to keep my shit secure. Open ports are not security risk by itself. Misconfigured services are.

• Yesterday I had issues (530, 533) deploying an instance, this morning it went without trouble.

@MrPsycho said:

Thank you for your interest, but I know how to keep my shit secure. Open ports are not security risk by itself. Misconfigured services are.

90% of the people misconfigure services. Or, they are misconfigured by default (memcached recently, https://www.zdnet.com/article/memcached-ddos-the-biggest-baddest-denial-of-service-attacker-yet/ or NTP). My experience in working at a cloud provider has shown me that helping the users like this causes the issues (ddos, hacking and spam) to go down. The users that do know how to configure their stuff will work around these restrictions, as you can do so in their cloudstack panel.

Thanked by 1MrPsycho
  • Raymii said: My experience in working at a cloud provider has shown me that helping the users like this causes the issues (ddos, hacking and spam) to go down.

It totally makes sense. I have never accused iKoula that blocking ports by default is something bad. I pointed that blocking ICMP is bad, then iKoula told me that they are blocking ports by default (?). Not only ICMP has no ports, but their representative went personal with "if I were you". So that's my response to "if iKoula were me".

Thanked by 1maverickp

Hello,

Concerning the RAM, I was trying to explain that this memory difference is not by design neither concerns all OS templates.

The usual action to make in this situation is to report the case to support team.

That's the best way for us to track down what's going on a particular case and determine if there is an issue or not.

MrPsycho said: ICMP is in the 3rd layer (Networking) as well as IP. TCP is layer 4 and it's built on top of layer 3, thus port concept in ICMP is totally abstract. ICMP has no ports, but types and codes (see RFC792).

My apologies on this one, you're totally right, i was so sure icmp requests were allowed by a standard firewall rule, still there is a firewall rule to create to let icmp pass trough.

So if i rewind the conversation :

MrPsycho said: why do you block ICMP by default and you don't clearly state that?

The correct answer is : because nothing is open when you create a VM.

MrPsycho said: but their representative went personal with "if I were you".

For the records : I did not went personnal when i used "if i were you", it was just an advice.

Thanked by 1MrPsycho