Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ploi - Deploy tool feedback wanted - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Ploi - Deploy tool feedback wanted

Comments

• This looks really well made. When it comes to security patches and updates, is this done automatic? I know ServerPilot has automatic package updates.

• @Wicked said:
    This looks really well made. When it comes to security patches and updates, is this done automatic? I know ServerPilot has automatic package updates.

I know I'm the owner, so its kind of weird to say this but personally can't imagine I ever did without Ploi.

The security patches are done automatically, but package updates still need manual attention. We are working on a feature that makes it possible to run updates from the UI.

• iKeyZiKeyZ Veteran

Shame after you "recently started developing it" you have already upped your pricing (up to 60% more) only 2 weeks after posting it here.

• @iKeyZ said:
    Shame after you "recently started developing it" you have already upped your pricing (up to 60% more) only 2 weeks after posting it here.

There are new features added on a daily or weekly base, I think it is fair to up the price to reflect those new features.

However, it does go above the $7 a month limit now :/

• iKeyZiKeyZ Veteran

@taronyu said:

@iKeyZ said:

There are new features added on a daily or weekly base, I think it is fair to up the price to reflect those new features.

I agree it's great new features are being added.. but coming up with a price and then two weeks later upping it (to that extent) doesn't look great.

• @iKeyZ said:

@taronyu said:

@iKeyZ said:

I agree it's great new features are being added.. but coming up with a price and then two weeks later upping it (to that extent) doesn't look great.

Well, if it only changes for new user I don't see anything wrong with it, however the mail doesn't say anything about that.

• @iKeyZ said:

Really don't get your rage at all, it has nothing to do with '2 weeks after posting it here'. Ploi existed before that. I said recently because I just made it public around april/may, Ploi existed way back in 2017 but never completed it in that year (read my article in OP). Your argument seems like your mad and not constructive at all.

Also I don't think these are prices that are high, they are actually really cheap if you compare it with the time it saves you.

• iKeyZiKeyZ Veteran
    edited August 2018

@Cannonb4lls said:

@iKeyZ said:

Really don't get your rage at all, it has nothing to do with '2 weeks after posting it here'. Ploi existed before that. I said recently because I just made it public around april/may, Ploi existed way back in 2017 but never completed it in that year (read my article in OP). Your argument seems like your mad and not constructive at all.

Also I don't think these are prices that are high, they are actually really cheap if you compare it with the time it saves you.

There's no rage going on and I'm unsure where you get that I'm "mad" - I do not use your paid services, so there would be no reason for me to be.

Of course I understand it was around before that, but if you make a service public and then within a short amount of time (after you gain some users) you raise the price by a fair amount, it will put a bad taste in peoples mouth.

There's no reason to get on the defensive as I'm not attacking you at all, just stating that it doesn't seem like an amazing move. Up to 60% is a big hike.

edit: Could you also confirm if this is for new users only or existing too? As @taronyu mentioned above.

• @iKeyZ said:

@Cannonb4lls said:

@iKeyZ said:

There's no rage going on and I'm unsure where you get that I'm "mad" - I do not use your paid services, so there would be no reason for me to be.

Of course I understand it was around before that, but if you make a service public and then within a short amount of time (after you gain some users) you raise the price by a fair amount, it will put a bad taste in peoples mouth.

There's no reason to get on the defensive as I'm not attacking you at all, just stating that it doesn't seem like an amazing move. Up to 60% is a big hike.

edit: Could you also confirm if this is for new users only or existing too? As @taronyu mentioned above.

Was not feeling attacked but starting your sentence with "Shame on you" does not make any good impression at all, just don't really get it actually. Thing is that a lot of people commented I should raise my price against the features that Ploi offers, which I strongly agree on. You could consider this as the only pricing update :)

The update is only for new users, I should've specified that in the e-mail but never thought of it.

• iKeyZiKeyZ Veteran

@Cannonb4lls said:

@iKeyZ said:

@Cannonb4lls said:

@iKeyZ said:

Was not feeling attacked but starting your sentence with "Shame on you" does not make any good impression at all, just don't really get it actually. Thing is that a lot of people commented I should raise my price against the features that Ploi offers, which I strongly agree on. You could consider this as the only pricing update :)

The update is only for new users, I should've specified that in the e-mail but never thought of it.

Just to add to this, I never said "Shame on you", I was stating that it was a shame you were changing the prices early. I'm unsure if you misread that part. At least it's good to hear that you are keeping pricing for existing users!

• @iKeyZ said:

@Cannonb4lls said:

@iKeyZ said:

@Cannonb4lls said:

@iKeyZ said:

Just to add to this, I never said "Shame on you", I was stating that it was a shame you were changing the prices early. I'm unsure if you misread that part. At least it's good to hear that you are keeping pricing for existing users!

Well it did put a bad taste in my mouth haha, but its okay. Like I get where you're coming from, but there is so much influence for me that I receive.

I think on a daily basis I get about 4/5 e-mails with suggestions or feedback, where this price thing was one of the most requested one.

Ploi is a project that is actually taking all my time because I want to do it right, but I also have a 'audience' to please which is always hard. I can not satisfy everyone to the fullest (which bugs me because I want to).

Thanked by 1iKeyZ
  • iKeyZ said: upped your pricing (up to 60% more) only 2 weeks after posting it here.

I see the same prices as before, unless I missed something, or the change was more than a week ago. I see my own post from July 29 where I commented on the pricing and it looks still the same to me.

• willie said: I see the same prices as before, unless I missed something, or the change was more than a week ago. I see my own post from July 29 where I commented on the pricing and it looks still the same to me.

@willie said:

iKeyZ said: upped your pricing (up to 60% more) only 2 weeks after posting it here.

I see the same prices as before, unless I missed something, or the change was more than a week ago. I see my own post from July 29 where I commented on the pricing and it looks still the same to me.

No they will change the 10th of August this year.

Thanked by 1willie
  • Cannonb4lls said: No they will change the 10th of August this year.

Oh ok, I don't see the announcement but whatever. Main confusing thing I see in the comparison chart is "instant deployment" at the 10 server level but not the 5 server level. I still wonder exactly what that is.

• @willie said:

Cannonb4lls said: No they will change the 10th of August this year.

Oh ok, I don't see the announcement but whatever. Main confusing thing I see in the comparison chart is "instant deployment" at the 10 server level but not the 5 server level. I still wonder exactly what that is.

"instant deployment"? Could you tell me where you see this?

• @Cannonb4lls said:

@willie said:

http://www.moss.sh

As you said you know best Ubuntu op system is fine but what is the reason another deploy app use same only ubuntu? That cant be random.

• @mailinabox said:

@Cannonb4lls said:

@willie said:

http://www.moss.sh

As you said you know best Ubuntu op system is fine but what is the reason another deploy app use same only ubuntu? That cant be random.

I'm not sure, but how is this related to this topic?

• williewillie Member
    edited August 2018

Cannonb4lls said: "instant deployment"? Could you tell me where you see this?

Woops, the term was "zero-downtime deployment", from your pricing page, rather than "instant". I'm wondering what the exact difference is.

• @willie said:

Sorry, the term was "zero-downtime deployment", from your pricing page, rather than "instant". I'm wondering what the exact difference is.

Ah, no problem :)

Zero downtime deployment makes it possible to deploy, without any downtime. So lets take an example.

Presume you have a website that has to do a long action (npm run production, mixing assets, composer install, etc) before its deployment is finished. You do not want to do this whilst on a live site because errors could occur.

So whenever you enable zero downtime deployment, Ploi makes another directory where all the actions are being omitted including your deploy script (which contains heavy actions), and when its done it will swap the system link to the new deployed folder (which is a folder with the date as name) so deployment will not be noticed.

Thanked by 1willie
  • Cannonb4llsCannonb4lls Member
    edited August 2018

@willie said:

Woops, the term was "zero-downtime deployment", from your pricing page, rather than "instant". I'm wondering what the exact difference is.

@willie did you understand my explanation about zero downtime deployment?

Edit: sorry I just noticed your thank you, I didnt get a notification about it.

• Yes, thanks! Unless I'm mistaken it means Ploi knows a lot about the directory setups of the different application libs, but I guess that is ok. I've been wanting to get to understand NixOS since its packaging system is designed for that sort of thing. Other approach in a clustered system is just take the server out of the server pool, upgrade it, and put it back. It could be nice to do that automatically too.

• @willie said:
    Yes, thanks! Unless I'm mistaken it means Ploi knows a lot about the directory setups of the different application libs, but I guess that is ok. I've been wanting to get to understand NixOS since its packaging system is designed for that sort of thing. Other approach in a clustered system is just take the server out of the server pool, upgrade it, and put it back. It could be nice to do that automatically too.

Sounds interesting, not sure if its applicable in the scope of this project. Could you elaborate a bit more?

• williewillie Member
    edited August 2018

Not sure what you're asking to elaborate? The idea is just to accept downtime on an individual server when upgrading its software, by taking it out of service, upgrading it, and putting it back into service. But since it's part of a multi-server pool, your site stays up-- it just temporarily operates with one less server than normal. So the suggestion is to automate the process of removing, upgrading, and restoring a server.

• @willie said:
    Not sure what you're asking to elaborate? The idea is just to accept downtime on an individual server when upgrading its software, by taking it out of service, upgrading it, and putting it back into service. But since it's part of a multi-server pool, your site stays up-- it just temporarily operates with one less server than normal. So the suggestion is to automate the process of removing, upgrading, and restoring a server.

Well you just explained so I understand it, thanks :) I'm not sure if this will be anything we are gonna implement soon but sure is good to note it.

• Still looking for improvement, any tips on design are more than welcome! :)

• @Cannonb4lls said:
    Still looking for improvement, any tips on design are more than welcome! :)

Be more creative than just ask.

• @mailinabox said:

@Cannonb4lls said:

Be more creative than just ask. Please!

• Is the Free Plan forever or just 5 days?

• @Chuck said:
    Is the Free Plan forever or just 5 days?

Free plan is forever, when you sign up you get 5 days free Basic plan. (The 2nd plan, to try out)

Thanked by 1Chuck
  • @Cannonb4lls said:

Can you add support for MariaDB?