Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Quick question regarding DvD and Blu Ray
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Quick question regarding DvD and Blu Ray

So I wanted to get The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit Collection on DvD however my PC does not have a Blu Ray disk drive. Only normal DvDs are supported. Now my question would be can I still watch the Blu Ray disk somehow or am I bound to get the standard DvD version?

Comments

• if you download that particular linux iso you can watch it without a drive. but if you only want to use disks then you cant watch BDs with only a DVD drive.

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited July 2018

@mosan7763 said:
    if you download that particular linux iso you can watch it without a drive. but if you only want to use disks then you cant watch BDs with only a DVD drive.

Ah ok thanks :P Since I don't use that particular linux isos I'll go with standard disks then :)

Damn...

Hyped :D

Thanked by 1HashTag
  • cough cough torrents

• hostdarehostdare Member, Patron Provider
    edited July 2018

huntercop said: cough cough torrents

shut up , it is linux ISO ( wink wink )

• saibalsaibal Member

Linux ISOs are your best bet or you could get a USB blue ray drive,

• Why not get a used BD-ROM from ebay? Should be dirt cheap.

• imokimok Member
    edited July 2018

@that_guy said:
    Why not get a used BD-ROM from ebay? Should be dirt cheap.

On my side of the world, they are usually "free" when we buy stuff in department stores. I suppose it's the same (and better) on Europe.

@Ympker try floppy disks.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

Guys streaming are so cheap nowadays, plenty of services: Netflix, Amazon Videos, Sky movie store, etc

• AidanAidan Member

WebProject said: Guys streaming are so cheap nowadays, plenty of services: Netflix, Amazon Videos, Sky movie store, etc

While the numbers are dwindling, not everyone can get fast enough internet to stream

• NomadNomad Member

What is a blue ray?

• YmpkerYmpker Member

@WebProject said:
    Guys streaming are so cheap nowadays, plenty of services: Netflix, Amazon Videos, Sky movie store, etc

I do have Flix, Prime, Crunchyroll and DAZN.

I just wanted to get the lord of the rings + hobbit as a collection and because none of the services has them all :P

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Personally, Hobbit wasn't worth it. The first installation was mm-okay. The two other were not.

• ChuckChuck Member

@WebProject said:

Not really. They are subject to " territorial licensing" which is just another form of Digital rights management (DRM).

linux ISO #ftw.

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited July 2018

@Chuck said:

@WebProject said:

Not really. They are subject to " territorial licensing" which is just another form of Digital rights management (DRM).

linux ISO #ftw.

It is indeed ridiculous.
    Netflix Standard (2 devices, HD) costs 11,99€ here in Germany. A friend ordered via turkish ip (created account from Turkey ip) and pays 4,50€/month for the same plan watching the same content here in Germany :S

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • ChuckChuck Member

@Ympker said:

@Chuck said:

@WebProject said:

linux ISO #ftw.

It is indeed ridiculous.
    Netflix Standard (2 devices, HD) costs 11,99€ here in Germany. A friend ordered via turkish ip (created account from Turkey ip) and pays 4,50€/month for the same plan watching the same content here in Germany :S

That why I stopped paying Netflix. I would rather download linux ISO for free And I can keep those linux ISO in my HDD to watch later with no Internet connection.

• YmpkerYmpker Member

@Chuck said:

@Ympker said:

@Chuck said:

@WebProject said:

linux ISO #ftw.

It is indeed ridiculous.

That why I stopped paying Netflix. I would rather download linux ISO for free And I can keep those linux ISO in my HDD to watch later with no Internet connection.

Fair enough. I continue paying for Flix and may know someone cough who takes private copies of its content as it is legal in Germany to do so (although not always in accordance with ToS). If you pay 11,99€ and get Flix on Demand streaming + atleast 1 private copy or 2 per month (and compare that to DvD pricing) it is not that bad a deal.